Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

Default Diff Questions

Firstly, I have a standard ss 3:08 in the EL, and im wanting to upgrade. Seems that decent ratio diffs are hard to find in Cairns, but, after talking to some wreckers, I might have come accross one. Now, its in an EL Futura, but the guy I spoke to seems to think its an LSD (which I want). Now, was LSD ever an option in the Futuras/what ratio did they come with standard. Before anyone asks, where the car is at the yard, its not possible to look under at the tag and see. Secondly, ive heard that certain lsd/ratio's wont fit into a 3:08 housing, is this right? So, what Im thinking is, if the diff is indeed lsd, then all good, ill get it. If not lsd, im thinking about getting it anyway, and tracking down an LSD center, and possibly 3:77 gears. Does this sound like a good way to go? Also, yes, ive thought about getting one from down south, but freight will end up costing a heap.
Low Na is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Gunns
Banned

You can fit anything up to 4.11 in a 3.08 housing. It is only 3.23 & 3.27 that I believe have issues with fitting anything over 3.7.

Good luck.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
You can fit anything up to 4.11 in a 3.08 housing. It is only 3.23 & 3.27 that I believe have issues with fitting anything over 3.7.

Good luck.
Bingo, this sucks ***.....

/me kicks 3.23 housing

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

Ahh, ok, so I was told the wrong thing. Got the impression that it was the 3:08 housing that limited options. In that case, I can just tract down an eb11lsd center, and gears of my choice yeah? Assuming I find a diff, how can I tell if it is 28 spline without pulling it apart (say if I find a wrecker with one on the shelf, but he is not sure what car its from)? Secondly, what year model skyline diff gears fit, if I choose to go say 3:77s?
Old 25-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

I don't know what gears fit into a 3.08 housing, but I can tell you that you can fit 4.11 gears out of an 80's Pintara into a 3.27 Ford housing. I know this because that is what I have in my NC.
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Low Na], how can I tell if it is 28 spline without pulling it apart (say if I find a wrecker with one on the shelf, but he is not sure what car its from)? QUOTE]

this part of your question i may be able to help with, the diff bloke i spoke to said, if its got the round flange on the diff where the tail shaft bolts to. it should be 28 spline and four pinion from EB series 2 onwards is what i was told when i was looking for bits
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

CHeers for that, now to find an lsd center Any idea roughly what it would cost to have centers changed over, cause im assuming its not really a DIY job?
Old 25-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Na
CHeers for that, now to find an lsd center Any idea roughly what it would cost to have centers changed over, cause im assuming its not really a DIY job?
oh yeah, forgot to mention earlier, dont buy a 2.77 diff LSD centre as the only fit the 2.77 gear. 2.92 LSD will fit all the other ratios, if you are willing to wait a few weeks i'm getting a LSD fitted to my recently purchased XF, i allready have the 2.92 lsd its in my rustbucket ute so i have to remove that first before i can take it to get the center fitted to my XF. i think i remem ber getting a quote for $350 with the centre tightened up in the LSD effect included, but i can tell you if you pm me in about a month i hope. my car already has 3.23 so its gunna stay.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Would it be cheaper/easier to find a XR diff?

Do you need brand new or reco?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

Wayne, Ive been looking for 3 months for an xr one, with no luck. Not fussed really what condition its in, mainly looking for the parts to have mine converted.