Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Longreach

Default Buying an AU

Well basicly i'm considering buying an AU Sedan, roughly 6 or 7 years old, like 1999 or 2000 i guess.
Wondering what i'd be looking at having to pay:
Would prefer:
Transmission- Manual
Engine - 5L

What sort of lifespan (kays) do the engines get, like is there a point at which you should go nope don't even consider it theres to may km's.
Anyothere things to watch for??

Cheers for any info i get guys , and girls.

Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manual 5L would have to be an AU XR8. Probably like $11-15k.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think you should have to pay more than $13000 if you shop around.

Ive seen taxis with over 500'000 kms, so as long as you regulary look after and service your new car i guess it will last a lifetime.

Personally i would not buy a car with more than 200'000 kms on it.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red Book Code FORD00CR
2000 FORD FALCON

AU XR8 Sedan 4dr Man 5sp 5.0i
Prices based on km 90,000 - 150,000
Trade in price guide* $8,800 - $10,200
National average price - private sale* $11,400 - $14,200
Price when new (RRP) $46,490

Like Glenn said, only option for series 1 AU is an XR8. I wouldn't look at anything over 150,000kms, not because it's nearly had it, but because you don't have to. According to the above anyway, you should be able to pick up a mint one with around 100,000 kays for 14 grand. If you want to spend less, you'll likely get higher kays. If I were you I'd get a series 2, price shouldn't be hugely higher, and you get the improved brakes and other small bonuses over the series 1.

2001 FORD FALCON

AU II XR8 Sedan 4dr Man 5sp 5.0i (200kW)
Prices based on km 80,000 - 130,000
Trade in price guide* $9,900 - $11,400
National average price - private sale* $12,700 - $15,700
Price when new (RRP) $45,828
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Like Glenn said, only option for series 1 AU is an XR8. I wouldn't look at anything over 150,000kms, not because it's nearly had it, but because you don't have to.

If I were you I'd get a series 2, price shouldn't be hugely higher, and you get the improved brakes and other small bonuses over the series 1.
I disagree and many here would also. There'd be nothing wrong with a fairmont or fairmont ghia, lots of extras for not much cash. My S1 Futura is a great car.

It's true though that the brakes on S2-3 are heaps better. On that score I agree with you.

I also would agree to look for cars under 150,000. I would be looking at under 100,000 myself. An 8 would be ok though with more than 100,000 but I wouldn't go more than 150,000 for an 8. Some wouldn't care, but I would, not because I don't think the engines are up to it, they are, but the gearboxes can be a bit tired. Also the interior gets a hammering, and the other components are more worn.

Plenty of good lower kay AUs around, take your pic!

All the best with your hunting.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Longreach

oh cheers for that, and another option as a ute. From what i have seen in WA utes are generrally more expensive than the eqivilent sedan. Would you be looking at much more??

Cheers for all that info any way
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I disagree and many here would also. There'd be nothing wrong with a fairmont or fairmont ghia, lots of extras for not much cash. My S1 Futura is a great car. GK
I think if you look at the context you'll find I meant the only option here is an XR8 in light of his stipulation that he was after a 5 litre manual. In fact, there's so little wrong with an S1 Fairmont, that's what I bought!
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Utes retain their Value a fair bit , Stick with the Sedan , But Just keep looking , theres good ones everywhere

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post