Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Auuteage

Default Going pacemakers, but which ones ????

Great forum you have going here !! :0)

Im going to get some pacemaker extractors. But some questions if I can:

My AU2 ute is on gas, looking under the bonnet, will anyone have trouble fitting them due to the gas gear being in the way?

Im looking for more acceleration in the low to mid range...

So what specific model extractors would this be?

From there Im thinking of a 2/5 inch exhaust with resonator. Not sure if I should get one muffler or two. Thanks!!

Auuteage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure on the extractors, apparently pacemaker ph4499's fit without moving the gas gear, but some people can't get them to fit. mechan1k is having the same problem with extractors, he has a ute on lpg too, as for the exhaust a few of us, me included, have redback 2.5" exhausts, mine has one centre muffler and a rear hot dog, but i have a sedan...it doesn't drone at all and has a nice sound to it, but other people may be able to recommend different brands/types for a ute...

hope that helps a bit and welcome to the forums, i hope you enjoy your stay
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I have a auII egas ute and I've got pacemaker ph4499's fitted and 2.5" system. Ive got about an inch or 2 between the extractors and the converter but havent had any problems with it. It's got hotdog at the front and muffler at the back end because of the restrictions due to the gas setup

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Auuteage

Thanks for that. Helpful accleration/performance increase I gather ?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auuteage
Thanks for that. Helpful accleration/performance increase I gather ?
Yep it increased more than I expected, it still lacks way to much for me though :hihi:

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A 2.5" cats back will give you a better note and a slight power increase etc, and in theory extractors should help with increased power & torque, and 4499s are the only ones suitable for an LPG car (the 4480s are too big and interfere with gas equipment).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I have a auII egas ute and I've got pacemaker ph4499's fitted and 2.5" system. Ive got about an inch or 2 between the extractors and the converter but havent had any problems with it. It's got hotdog at the front and muffler at the back end because of the restrictions due to the gas setup

Just fitted my PH4499s ... had more room then expected ... hat my factory exhaust heatshield mould further to fit over the extractors ... looks kinda factory still and shields the converter nicely.

I already had a 2.5" cat back system with one muffler ... sounded nice.

Now the note has changed with the extractors .... and i am finding also that mid-range and top-end is freer revving (not that top-end is much anyway due to the restrictor in the throttle body) ... fuel economy is better as well as it's not working as hard around the 80-110km/h areas ... freeway entrance merging is easier ... and so is kick-back acceleration (mind you that could be due to swapping the auto for a stronger built new 4-sp item).

I am happy with them .... time for the cam to installed though ... then the extractors will really help make a difference py:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
Auuteage

Thanks Mechan1K and JC

Whats the deal with the restrictor in the throttle body? What does it actually do?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Just fitted my PH4499s ... had more room then expected ... hat my factory exhaust heatshield mould further to fit over the extractors ... looks kinda factory still and shields the converter nicely.
How did you have them done? Wasnt there a problem with the distance between them and the converter being to little for NSW laws or did you finish moving the converter ?

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's there as a venturi to change the intake air turbulance to suck the gas through enough to keep it idling at least ... when throttle is opened though it really doesn't need to be there ... it's mainly for closed loop idle to keep LPG supply to the engine.

In a nutshell. It can be milled slightly ... but not too much as idle will suffer dramatically.

Impco used to make a variable opening mixer ring that was linked to throttle position ... it would open up more as throttle was opened. They are available in the UK ... but price has gone through the roof ... and other mods need to be done to adapt it to the EGAS engine.

Best to keep the standard setup. Also changing the intake pipe from the airbox to the throttle body can be changed to a mandrel bent larger item ... I found it made a 5rwkw difference on the dyno (thought I'd test it with one lying around at my mechanics workshop) .... I was surprised with the increase.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
How did you have them done? Wasnt there a problem with the distance between them and the converter being to little for NSW laws or did you finish moving the converter ?
I thought it was going to be too close to the converter ... I have the factory manifold off to remove the head (which didn't want to come off .. so the engine was replaced with the newer one) ... so i decided to try and fit up the exctractors ... my LPG mechanic was happy with the distance as long as the shield was in place.

the law is 150mm between converter and heat source ... but it much less as long as a shield is in place over the heat source ... or a converter shield (that Boral sell for the Vialle items).

I had my factory exhaust manifold shield bent out further and moulded to fit over the Pacies and all was good.

No need to move the converter ... I made the provision to allow it to be moved (getting a BA header tank and hose to the radiator) ... just needed a bracket to move it and change the water and gas lines slightly. But in the end ... no need ... WOOT.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
Auuteage

Can anyone in Melbourne recommend anyone who could do this install on a EGas ute?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Yeah I just had my heatshield moulded out over the paccies aswell

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:

I already had a 2.5" cat back system with one muffler ... sounded nice.

Now the note has changed with the extractors .... and i am finding also that mid-range and top-end is freer revving (not that top-end is much anyway due to the restrictor in the throttle body) ... fuel economy is better as well as it's not working as hard around the 80-110km/h areas ... freeway entrance merging is easier ... and so is kick-back acceleration (mind you that could be due to swapping the auto for a stronger built new 4-sp item).

I am happy with them .... time for the cam to installed though ... then the extractors will really help make a difference py:
If you don't mind my asking, what are the PH4499's worth?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I think they are about $400-$450 dont quote me on that though

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 12-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I was lucky ... I bought mine from a member on another forum ... they didn't need them anymore ... brand new in packaging with bolts ... $350 ... so I was happy with that.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
I was lucky ... I bought mine from a member on another forum ... they didn't need them anymore ... brand new in packaging with bolts ... $350 ... so I was happy with that.
Good stuff! And from the sounds of things, you fitted them yourself?

If so, how hard would you say it is? Straight bolt up to the existing cat?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #18
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Good stuff! And from the sounds of things, you fitted them yourself?

If so, how hard would you say it is? Straight bolt up to the existing cat?
Standard cat will require modification.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

With the help of a mate ... had to drive it to the exhaust shop to get a new cat (old one was starting to spit bits out (mind you ... EGAS really shouldn't need it ... but put one back in cos of legalities).

New cat and small amount of pipework with flange and gasket was $400 inc. labour. Had to drive to the exhaust place with extractors on only ... drove like crap ... sounded mad

Extractors were easy to bolt up though ... with airtools and decent compressor at the mechanics where I always do work on my car ... he lets me do my own work there ... and if I need a hand ... they help.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #20
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

hey guys, i don't wanna steal auuteage's thread but since the exhaust talk came up.. I'm sure some of you have seen the Herrod Quad Exhaust System on some BA XR8s (twin tips on both sides) I don't know if it's just Herrod that makes it but I saw it on Herrods site. Anyway my question is I know that due to the petrol tank not allowing the exhaust system reach the other side, but would it be possible to throw in a BA petrol tank into an AU and maybe the quad exhausts might work:P I'm thinking that the quad exhausts don't work because of the shape of the AU and BA petrol tank are different, correct me if I'm wrong but this idea just came into my mind RIGHT NOW after going through the Herrod site and I can't go and check under the xr now because it's dark.