Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Quick question bout springs.

Anyone know the measurements for each size of king springs? I currently have 4 springs in my possession, 2 of which i think are 2 inches lower than standard (superlows?), and the other 2 are stuffed as they've been cut down too low to the point of being unusable.
Im looking to get new front springs to match the back ones so i can finally put them on the car. Is there are a difference between front and back ones or are they interchangable? Does it matter having one end of the car slightly higher/lower than the other? Anyone know what size the ones i currently have would be?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

you can fit any hight you want, try superlows with realy stif shokers and it will ride great cost a few 100 but well worth it to get the old falcons to handel
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Tiga_EL
Banned

No problems having the front higher than the rear. Infact it looks kinda better, having a low front and jacked up rear looks gay tho. I reckon superlows all round, are decent enough in ride quality and looks aswell. prolly best to go those.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. Im just trying to figure out what length these 2 good springs i have are, so i know which ones to order for the front. The product ccode on the box is KFRL-18 if that makes any difference.
As fas as i know, my old man recently replaced all the shockers i think with pedders low or something, i'll double check on that.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
Old 20-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK just went out and checked, shocks are all Monroe GT GRS? Not sure what the current springs are, they're blue in colour and give the car a standard ride height.

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

LOWS for:
1982-83 Falcon XE, XF 6 cyl Sedan KFRL-18
Falcon XE Sedan V8 KFRL-18

check this out:
http://www.georgestock.co.nz/catalog...atalogue_4.htm

seems to indicate that in theory they will fot an EA-ED as the super low KFRL-27 is also listed for an EA-EL.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So these are low rear springs? What do you think i should do?
Get these low's cut down a little and get superlows for the front? Will they work well with my current chockers and give a nice ride height?
Sorry for my limited knowledge but i really dont want to drop any cash or do something stupid until i know it'll all work properly.

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

well depends what you want and if you will go scrapping or not, I have lows in the front of my car but with my body kit and lowered shocks, i can JUST get in and out of my driveway. With lows you can use standard shocks, superlows you should get lowered shocks.

Here is a pic:

Old 20-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The height of your car looks great, pretty much exactly as I'd like mine. Looks nice whithout being too drastic or stupidly low.

sort of off topic - I dont plan to get a body kit, although i rather like the subtle look of the side skirts on your car. Is there a body kit or front and back bumpers available in the same sort of style (not too different to the stock one, just a little lower and sportier). Also, whats that type of spoiler called?

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
EA2BA
PM me if you want

you could add a sprint kit if you want just a bit lower and nothing really wild, they look good and just bolt on, no big deal really.

I have king lows in the front kffl-26 (from memory) and gabriel lowered shocks in the front(meant for super lows) su pulled the front down another 5mm or so. The rear on my car is re-set SLS so not sure what you will have to use.

Old 20-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Some thing like this, possibly.

Old 20-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #12
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK so ive got all monroe shockers which i believe are lowered and one set of low rear springs. What should i do? Buy another set of lows for the front? Cut down rear springs and buy SL's for the front? Any suggestions with the stuff ive got to get a lowered ride height while maintaining a smooth comfortable drive?

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

well I am happy with lows, but alot is personal choice, if you are not in a real hurry to lower it, then on the 3rd of DEC is the GOR cruise, or get along to a VSS meet, plenty of cars to look at with ride height from stock to SSL and then you can decide.

Old 20-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So either way i go, the springs will fit my current shocks? Will using low springs with lowered shocks make a noticable difference to ride height? Id prefer to go the easy route of buying low front springs but theres no point if its not going to make a big difference. Ill try to get a pic of the car ASAP.

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
EA2BA
PM me if you want

lowered shocks with low springs does not make a huge difference, but it take my car from being able to roll out slowly of my driveway to a brakes and slow idle roll out, and if i get it wrong i hear it scrape. So it pulled it that little bit lower and made the ride alot better (but my standard shocks were pretty shot)

Old 20-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much of a difference do you think? Will it make a noticable difference to the looks or handling of the car? Think its worth doing?
Not sure i understand your post, are you saying that the change from standard shocks to low ones was enough to make your car scrape on your driveway?

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordEBfaimont
Does it matter having one end of the car slightly higher/lower than the other?
yeah it does. Your roll centre on the altered end can change which changes the roll axis and can tend towards oversteer or understeer. Even an even change can have an effect. A solid rear axle suspension without a Watts link (for example) will not change the roll centre by raising or lowering that end whereas the front roll centre can change if lowered or raised by the same height => change in roll axis. You also need to take into account possible changes in camber and, if needed, fit a camber kit.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
How much of a difference do you think? Will it make a noticable difference to the looks or handling of the car? Think its worth doing?
Not sure i understand your post, are you saying that the change from standard shocks to low ones was enough to make your car scrape on your driveway?
Yes, it made a little bit lower again, but not much.

Old 20-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #19
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK cool. I think I'll order low king springs for the front and if i decide i want it lower, i'll just cut the springs in future.
heres a few pics of the car.

Former Rides:
Old 20-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #20
EA2BA
PM me if you want

doesnt look too bad, nice and clean, colour code the rest of the s-pac stripe, clear indicators and lows will be a huge difference. My car started at s-pac height in the front, either way I think you will find lows are good, give them a few weeks to settle once they go in before deciding lower might be better.

Get an XH snorkle for the intake too.

Old 21-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #21
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah clear indicators and repeaters are one of the first things on the list as well as a new stereo head unit as the pioneer one in it now is rooted. Then its lowering and a new rear spoiler.
I was also thinking about trying for colour coded door handles off an EF/EL and the woodgrain interior bits off a fairlane or fairmont ghia. Then i'd start on some bigger performance mods. Im not looking for a super quick car or anything, just something that looks and sounds nice and is fun to drive.

Former Rides:
Old 21-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #22
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Then i'd start on some bigger performance mods. Im not looking for a super quick car or anything, just something that looks and sounds nice and is fun to drive.
will file that quote away to throw back at you one day ..... lol

Old 21-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #23
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha true. I know the empty-wallet syndrome that comes with any hobby after tipping 4k into my drums.

Former Rides: