Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Default Sound Deadening AU Front Doors

G’day All,

I’m wondering if anyone out there has had experience in sound deadening AU Front Doors.

My main concerns are covering the inner door skin service holes before applying Dynamat. My intention was to use duct tape and MDF. However the problem with the service holes is that most of them aren’t on “flat” surfaces making it hard to cover using MDF. There is also a pouch on the door trim which protrudes into the inner panel once the trim is reattached. On top of this there are also several plastic alignment tabs which are also part of the trim. I was simply going to cut these off so their corresponding holes can be covered and sealed.

Also, what would be the best method to apply deadening to the outer door skin? Here I’m stumped about the anti-intrusion bar. Would it be practical to apply a sheet above and below the bar and then cover the bar with a small strip, or just cover the bar with some brush-on deadener? Or even don’t bother with it?

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Im interested in hearing anyone's experience on this also. I intend on doing the doors in the fairlane in the next few weeks or so...

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Speak to Mick (Blueprint XR8) he has used sound deading on his entire AU ute.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i've done my entire ute....
use dynamat or flashtac if you can't afford dynamat....then it's just a matter of sticking it all on and putting your tim back over the top.
best results will see you covering the door panel skin and the frame. you can cover the large holes to if you want. but it doesn't make that much difference.

ORB.
Old 27-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Thanks Chief, will follow up with him
Old 27-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
i've done my entire ute....
use dynamat or flashtac if you can't afford dynamat....then it's just a matter of sticking it all on and putting your tim back over the top.
best results will see you covering the door panel skin and the frame. you can cover the large holes to if you want. but it doesn't make that much difference.

ORB.
Thanks Orbit,

Already have the dynamat but want to seal the doors to a "pro" standard. There's a beaut tutorial on CAA for deadening that I'm trying to replicate but it's the difficulty with the service holes in the inner door skin that I'm trying to get my head around. Did you just put the dynamat over these? Or, did you plug (MDF or similar) these holes before hand?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 28-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we just layered the inside of the service holes with pipe tape, cut out cardboard to shape, covered again with pipe tape and over the top with the sound deadner. Easy really.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

did what darby has said..
MDF really isn't necessary until your looking for REALLY big SPL or dB.
The au doors are really quite good with just the dynamatt.
Old 28-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was actually thinking of getting this done soon too, but i have another question. Is it possible to stop the power window buttons from rattling? Does dynamat fix this at all? I have the 4 door controls on the drivers door, and it can get quite anoying at times.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
G'day Chief,

Can't find Blueprint XR8 in the members...
Old 29-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #11
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Haha, here I am. :
Regarding your doors, I had covered all service holes with 4mm MDF and used heavy duty gaffa tape to secure and then Dynamat over it, cardboard would be ok but be weary regarding moisture etc., with the alignment tabs just get a screwdriver that fit the hole and lay the dynamat over the hole them push the screwdriver in to make another hole.
Outer door skin you go over the anti intrusion barand tuck in the edges with an ice cream stick or similar, don'r forget to dynamt the floor as just doing the doors is pretty much useless.

Hope this helps.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Haha, here I am. :
Regarding your doors, I had covered all service holes with 4mm MDF and used heavy duty gaffa tape to secure and then Dynamat over it, cardboard would be ok but be weary regarding moisture etc., with the alignment tabs just get a screwdriver that fit the hole and lay the dynamat over the hole them push the screwdriver in to make another hole.
Outer door skin you go over the anti intrusion barand tuck in the edges with an ice cream stick or similar, don'r forget to dynamt the floor as just doing the doors is pretty much useless.

Hope this helps.

Mick
Thanks Mick, :

Is the floor really going to have an effect. I'd assume that for a ute it would, being a smaller cabin. Having said that, I should have enough left over, bought the bulk pack (32sq ft).

Do your door trims have that "pouch" under the speaker grilles also. This is going to give me the greatest grief. :

Thanks again Mick
Old 30-11-2006, 02:09 AM   #13
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
Thanks Mick, :

Is the floor really going to have an effect. I'd assume that for a ute it would, being a smaller cabin. Having said that, I should have enough left over, bought the bulk pack (32sq ft).

Do your door trims have that "pouch" under the speaker grilles also. This is going to give me the greatest grief. :

Thanks again Mick
From what i have read on CAA, the bulk pack (32sq ft.) will only do both front doors if done properly. Im not sure how true that is, but yeah. For the floor, i am going to use that cheaper stuff from Jaycar or Clark Rubber. You really need the good stuff in the doors so it sticks, but the stuff under the carpet isnt going anywhere, so you can use the cheaper stuff...

Cheers,
Michael

Old 30-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi guys,have been reading the thread and im a bit lost. 1. what or who is CAA?. 2. what is this stuff? i ask because with the tyres i have on at the moment i get a lot of tyre noise in the car and was thinking of mors sound deadning. will this stuff do the trick or because it's tyre noise i should look at something else.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

CAA is Car Audio Australia (www.teamcaa.com) It is full of car audio enthusiasts and industry guys who can help out with advice and stuff.