Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU Edit - for Dummies...

Continuing on with my popular series of "how to - for dummies" threads :hihi:, Ive started this one with the intention of exploring another popular mod that, if youre like me, sounds good, but you need more info about.

That mod is the AU Edit.

Basically, I intend to have it done early next year, so I want to be as clued up on it as possible - what should I do before I get it done, what do I need to ask for when it is done, how does it work, what kind of results should I expect etc.

After talking to a few people about it ranging from tuners to edited car owners, the general perception I get is that while the dyno may not neccesarily show a huge gain, the arsedyno says otherwise, and the torque level is greatly enhanced. This sounds good to me as I'm not a dyno queen.

To set the playing field - AU3 XR8 ute with most of your average boltons (exhaust, intake etc) done already. Intake will change to a G&D box or similar and possibly a new intake manifold (will be done before edit). Currently being told what to do by a Unichip, although at the moment I would say the car is performing at around 75% of its potential (some might remember a few months back I was complaining about bugger all go from the thing, its never really gotten back to the level it should be at).

So in a nutshell, here's the kind of info I (and many others) are chasing:

* What do I ask for in a tune? I want enhanced performance across the rev range but particularly down low to help move its bum off the lights etc. Is this something that can be achieved with the edit i.e. how customisable is it?

* The shift points has me interested. Im told the shift points and how hard it shifts can all be altered. Hvaing never driven in a car that has been edited, what does this translate to? Does it go "bang" and smash into each gear, or is it just quicker changes and quicker revs?

* How much strain does it put on the engine etc (if any). Is it like taking it to the max where things are really working hard, or is it the opposite and doing more with less etc. (hard to explain what Im asking).

I encourage anybody who has questions or stuff theyre not sure about in regards to the AU edit to post up in this thread, as Ive started it to be a good info source for anybody thinking about it. My mind is already made up, and I will be having it done to work with some engine mods I am planning down the track, but Im keen to find out as much as I can.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I think most of that depends on what type of driving you do and what the ute gets used for. Tell the tuner this and they will know where to go with the tune.
If it's a daily driver, then down low torque will be the go, with a nice positive shift.
However if it's a weekend car with it's eye on the stip, properly a more hardcore tune will be the go.

Don't rely on me though, they're just my thoughts.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

* What do I ask for in a tune? I want enhanced performance across the rev range but particularly down low to help move its bum off the lights etc. Is this something that can be achieved with the edit i.e. how customisable is it?.
Firstly ,I strongly advise that you tune the car on normal unleaded.The reason being that if tuned on premium I have found that the quality of fuel basically is very inconsisitent and cause pinging.The tunablitly at part throttle is what makes the car alot of fun to drive.How the car drives depends alot on the tuner.I had 3 tunes and the car felt different each time.It feels awesome now but with the heat it feels slower.It also is noticeably slower with premium fuels like shell 98.

Quote:
* The shift points has me interested. Im told the shift points and how hard it shifts can all be altered. Hvaing never driven in a car that has been edited, what does this translate to? Does it go "bang" and smash into each gear, or is it just quicker changes and quicker revs??.
I dont know any Sydney tuners who know how to play with shift points yet so ask the question before the car is tuned.Good shifting has to be a help.If the tune complements your power/torque then the car will be quicker.

Quote:
* How much strain does it put on the engine etc (if any). Is it like taking it to the max where things are really working hard, or is it the opposite and doing more with less etc. (hard to explain what Im asking).
The car will run smoother with a good tune but if you give the car heaps then your looking for a breakage.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks Stav,

I cant use anything less than premium as the ute wont run without it. I use Caltex Vortex 99% of the time as it is the easiest to get around here, so I'd fill it with that before it was tuned.

I intend to have the tune done in Melbourne.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Thanks Stav,

I cant use anything less than premium as the ute wont run without it. I use Caltex Vortex 99% of the time as it is the easiest to get around here, so I'd fill it with that before it was tuned.

I intend to have the tune done in Melbourne.
If you get an edit, you can get it tuned for any fuel you like, so you could get it tuned for standard unleaded. Considering you can have 4 tunes in the box, I would have a standard (unedited) tune, a ULP tune, a PULP tune, and a valet tune (limit revs to 3000rpm).

Talk to Chris from BluePower - but be prepared for a sore ear! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
STORKYGT
what u looking at?

i have had my tune now for 2 months and i couldnt be more happier . g@d tuned my car for the most perfomance i can get out of my car . it is twice as good on fuel now and i run the 1 setting i dont change it. call matt at g@d and he will explain it all to u .....
STORKYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 02:24 AM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is the average price on an AU edit from a place such as G&D? or any places known to do it in brisbane?

also with the 4 choices of tune in the one unit. what has to be done to switch tune.. ie can you sit at the lights and change to a RACE tune when a commo pulls up beside etc? then when your done with the RACE tune can you cruise along and flick it to say CRUISE tune?

thanks for answering Qs guys! its a big help for us noobs in these sort of areas!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If your car is tuned perfectly in winter cold then it will not be the optimal for summer as well.Even though tuners give a winter and summer tune ..unless the tune is done in the season it will not be optimal.Ideally 2 tunes should be done in hot and cold.If people dont agree I dont really mind.However after having 3 tunes from 3 tuners and spent quite a bit doing it then you have to say I have an idea. Chris from Bluepower does good proven tuning down there.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 08-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Good tuners will make allowances for variance in fuel quality and seasonal conditions. Mine was tuned in the cooler months on BP Ultimate and I haven't had any dramas now that's been warmer.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Stav out all the tuning my XR8 had with the Unichip and now Edit with the TS I have never found my cars feeling like a dogs, never heard pinging whilst on the road....
Mind you one time and one time only with Optimax and earmuffs heard a slight ping whist on the dyno. Always used 98.....why for the life of me use 95.
I agree with DeathXR,good tuner is the key.

As for shift points Autotech have been able to this for a while so I'd imagine other tuners do likewise.
Also AUEdit has had a few updates, mine is in getting finished off as we speak plus high flow cats.

Aust there is no rocket science here, just get whatever mods done before getting the tune, decide who You are comfortable with and let them at it, they know what needs to be done.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok, so 4 tunes in the box, I would be looking at:

* tune for ULP (but will most likely never use)
* serious kick-**** tune for the times you really want to get it moving
* another everyday tune but with a bit more edge (use this one most)
* a "safe" tune for when others drive the car i.e. rev limit etc.

After I do my cam install Id get another tune made up to make the most of the cam.

As I understand it you can flash a new tune in at any time? Is that right, i.e. can I pull into the driveway after driving round with everyday tune and change it to the kickarse one for some fun, then change back?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
The Mighty Red

I take it you would have to pay for 4 seperate tunes ?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have had simalar experiences as stav when it comes to tunes.the car runs fine when its cool and once the weather /day warms up the car will ping.but i'm only running the unichip.
like others have said considering you get 4 different tunes get an all out one for when you want to have a play and a real consevitive one incase you get some dud fuel or warmer humid weather than the cars been tuned for.
whats involved when changing tunes with the edit?
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Here's a link to some info on the flash tuners.

http://www.capa.com.au/ford_flash_tuner.htm

A good tuner will alter/set limits as they go. They start with the standard tune, and load that to the box. Then they might do a slightly more agressive, more power/torque/firmer shifts etc (call it an everyday tune) - it may take 30 mins of fiddling to get it there, then they save it and flash it to the box.

Then they go a bit more aggressive with the tune to get an ultimate power tune, and once they have it set for maximum power with flattish torque curve etc, they will save that to the box as well.

Lastly, then they would probably go back to either the stock tune, or the everyday tune, drop the rev limits and shift firmness (about 90 seconds work)) and save that as a Valet setting.

The number of tunes and what you want each of them to do is entirely up to you - to get 4 tunes in one session, does not take 4 times as long as getting one tune. It's more like (maybe) 50% longer, so an "edit" or "tune" session, should actually be for as many "tunes" as you want (max 4) in the box. As fgar as the tuning goes, you are paying for labour, not parts, so you should make the most of it (The box is around $1k, the tune/labour/expertise is around $500).

It is a fascinating process to watch - I was lucky enough to spend a day watching Chris tune a few different cars on his last Canberra trip. Still saving my pennies for a flash tune on each car!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 08-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
i have had simalar experiences as stav when it comes to tunes.the car runs fine when its cool and once the weather /day warms up the car will ping.but i'm only running the unichip.
like others have said considering you get 4 different tunes get an all out one for when you want to have a play and a real consevitive one incase you get some dud fuel or warmer humid weather than the cars been tuned for.
whats involved when changing tunes with the edit?
The edit uses all the existing in/outputs that the ECU uses, it just changes the parameters/calculations used within the ECU.

A unichip etc bypasses/ignores some sensor inputs, so it's no surprise that a winter tune wouldn't be effective in summer and vice-versa. In theory, the edit/flash tune should be fine all year round as it still takes into account temperature differences, knock sensors etc.

Stavs issues are probably more to do with the fact that he gets a tune, then gets a new cam, or ports the heads, or adds a different airbox etc, etc.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

i guess my major thing is.. how can i get the computer to have it wired in myself..

and then take it to someone to have it tuned in?? I have so much wiring in the car that i dont want any of it messed up!!

And yeah $$$$ would a a great starting point

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
i guess my major thing is.. how can i get the computer to have it wired in myself..

and then take it to someone to have it tuned in?? I have so much wiring in the car that i dont want any of it messed up!!

And yeah $$$$ would a a great starting point
It's not wired in. It's a flash tuner - it overwrites the existing software in the ECU; exactly what Ford does when it does software updates to your car during a service (not that there would be many these days for the AUs).

You plug the box into the data port behind the interior fuse panel and upload whichever tune you want. Takes about 90 seconds, and can only be done with the car stopped.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

As I understand it Rick it doesnt actually wire in like a Unichip etc, rather it gets plugged in, tune gets sent (or "flashed") into the ECU, unplug the box and away you go.

Here's another interesting point I found from the capa link:

One Box can be cleared and used on another car for as many as 5 cars, so a $995 investment over 3 different cars has to be the most inexpensive tune ever at under $350 per car.

Im curious as to how that could be possible, I thought the flash boxes were locked to the VIN of your car? I guess if you went this way you would lose all flexibility in your tune too, cos you cant get the box back to change to a different tune if you share it among a few people.

I have a quote of $1500 drive in drive out for the edit, I intend to have it done providing finances allow in the new year.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
As I understand it Rick it doesnt actually wire in like a Unichip etc, rather it gets plugged in, tune gets sent (or "flashed") into the ECU, unplug the box and away you go.

Here's another interesting point I found from the capa link:

One Box can be cleared and used on another car for as many as 5 cars, so a $995 investment over 3 different cars has to be the most inexpensive tune ever at under $350 per car.
The tune on one car must be set back to standard before uploading onto the next car. Between each car, the VIN of the new car to be tuned does need to be loaded, and you can do this 3 times before CAPA needs to clear the VIN log. After 3 cars are done, the box needs to be unlocked by CAPA at the cost of around $300. So you can't have 3 cars running on your box, just if you buy one now, use it, then sell the car, keep the box and use the flash tuner on that car....etc.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The tune on one car must be set back to standard before uploading onto the next car. Between each car, the VIN of the new car to be tuned does need to be loaded, and you can do this 3 times before CAPA needs to clear the VIN log. After 3 cars are done, the box needs to be unlocked by CAPA at the cost of around $300. So you can't have 3 cars running on your box, just if you buy one now, use it, then sell the car, keep the box and use the flash tuner on that car....etc.
Seems like too much trouble and I would rather have my own box. Just curious as to how that particular way of doing things would work.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #21
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, I know there seems to be enough stupid questions as it is, but I'm still not sure what exactly the edit is? I think I understand the flash tune, but what does the edit involve, is it flashed to the ecu prior to the tune?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Sorry, I know there seems to be enough stupid questions as it is, but I'm still not sure what exactly the edit is? I think I understand the flash tune, but what does the edit involve, is it flashed to the ecu prior to the tune?
Edit = Tune = same thing.

You "Edit" the factory "tune" (ECU program) and enhance the way it runs.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Good tuners will make allowances for variance in fuel quality and seasonal conditions. Mine was tuned in the cooler months on BP Ultimate and I haven't had any dramas now that's been warmer.
My car was tuned on Caltex 98 but now runs well on bp ultimate. It also goes alot harder without pinging on the bp.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Seems like too much trouble and I would rather have my own box. Just curious as to how that particular way of doing things would work.
You do get your own box, complete with 4 tunes of your choosing. It's less trouble than a unichip, and undetectable.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You do get your own box, complete with 4 tunes of your choosing. It's less trouble than a unichip, and undetectable.
Sorry, but its actually 3 tunes. you have (F) Which will be the factory program which is downloaded from your ecu and stored. And then P1, 2, 3 which can be any tune you like, but F is always your factory settings.

Otherwise people might think that you can customise all 4 spots in the box. :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post