Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Nemesis
8 is always better than 6

Default The little EB that could - EL Engine Transplant, ironing out the bugs

hi all

i have been browsing these forums in all its locations ever since i got my EB back around 3 to 4 years ago, and has been a massive help in all ive done to my car. So far, i have put on extractors + exhaust, converted it to manual, clear indicators and side repeators, S-Pack instrument cluster, $3500 worth of custom stereo install and recently lowered springs/shocks and 17" mags.

now, for the mother of all mods, i decided to replace my tiring EB engine with the more powerful EL setup.

I sourced a complete EL conversion kit from a wrecker out of an EL GLi with rear-end damage, which included the engine, all 'hanging' parts off it, wiring looms, ECU, and airbox/radiator/thermofans. Myself and stepfather have installed it all (he was a mechanic about 7-10 yrs ago) and got it all firing and working, using all EL parts, which included custom aircon hoses, splicing the EB dash looms into the EL engine/ECU looms. The problems i have tho, is that its running a little bit rich, and the thermofans are on 100% all the time, as well as the idle being a little bit high. My theory at the minute, is that it is in self test mode... does this sound like symptoms for that mode? if so, does anyone know how/can direct me to instructions on how to clear self test mode or the pinouts for the self test connector for EB and EL?

if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be, i would love to know, and if anyone has any questions, dont hesitate to ask

i love these forums, and will be doing a bit of a write-up once i have it all finalised with some pics

cheers guys
Adrian

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Lukey Extractors / 2.5inch exhaust / 17" CSA Gladiator Wheels / Clear Side indicators and Repeaters / S-Pack Instrument Cluster / Trip Computer / Cruise Control / Lovells Lowered Springs and Shocks / EL Engine Transplant / Manual Conversion / BA XR6 HD Clutch / Alpine HU, Alpine Type-S 2x12" subs, Alpine Type-S Splits and 6" 2-ways

Last edited by Nemesis; 29-03-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you running the EB or EL computer? I would be looking for vacuum leaks to fix up the rich running, and the screw on the side of the TB to lower the idle speed

I had a problem with the fans being on 100% after the manual conversion in my EF. Eventually found that the problem would go away if I put the fuse back in for the auto gearbox (I had taken it out to fill another hole), so I guess the controller must hang of that circuit. Might be worth looking at.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
Are you running the EB or EL computer? I would be looking for vacuum leaks to fix up the rich running, and the screw on the side of the TB to lower the idle speed

I had a problem with the fans being on 100% after the manual conversion in my EF. Eventually found that the problem would go away if I put the fuse back in for the auto gearbox (I had taken it out to fill another hole), so I guess the controller must hang of that circuit. Might be worth looking at.
thanks for the reply

i have checked all the vacuum leaks, and did have one at the base of the inlet manifold which is now fixed, but i havent got a Airbox flow sensor, is this required for the ECU to determain the amount of fuel it dumps in?

i think the Idle motor might be fubar, because if you tap it with a screwdriver the idle changes... might go swap it at the wreckers

fuse in the auto box fuseholder? i will check that, it sounds weird, but makes sense at present i have just unplugged one of the fans and that seems to let it heat up to normal temp ok.

thanks again for the help

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Lukey Extractors / 2.5inch exhaust / 17" CSA Gladiator Wheels / Clear Side indicators and Repeaters / S-Pack Instrument Cluster / Trip Computer / Cruise Control / Lovells Lowered Springs and Shocks / EL Engine Transplant / Manual Conversion / BA XR6 HD Clutch / Alpine HU, Alpine Type-S 2x12" subs, Alpine Type-S Splits and 6" 2-ways
Old 29-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
sr180
Starter Motor

Ford i6 engines dont have an air flow sensor. They use a MAP sensor to calculate how much fuel to add in.
sr180 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
NZ
~~~

run a manual computer if you aren't already. The lack of a transmission temp sensor will make the fans run at full speed and will cause high idling

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Damo
Banned

Welcome to the forums. I'll leave the advice to the more mechanicaly minded.

Did you useto browse ford.i8.com ?

Damian.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fans running all the time shows the computer is in limp home or fault mode. This will cause high idle, a rich mixture and low timing advance. You need to run the fault codes of the EEC, this should tell you what is causing the fault, or at least give you a starting point.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
The fans running all the time shows the computer is in limp home or fault mode. This will cause high idle, a rich mixture and low timing advance. You need to run the fault codes of the EEC, this should tell you what is causing the fault, or at least give you a starting point.
we thought this might be the case, the problem is that i cannot find any info on how to read the codes from the ECU or test plug, and the ford dealership in my town for want of a better word are pricks :(

do you know of anywhere online / books that will have this info in it?

thanks everyone for the ideas - i will investigate the manual ECU too...

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Old 29-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
Welcome to the forums. I'll leave the advice to the more mechanicaly minded.

Did you useto browse ford.i8.com ?

Damian.
i certainly did, about 3 or 4 yr ago ... its what made me choose an EB over a VP Commo... more potential and better cars
i dont regret my decision

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Old 29-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

are you the guy from wagga?
Old 29-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
are you the guy from wagga?
i sure am

how do you know that : and why do you ask

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Old 29-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

hehehe, saw you on the old forums and i think ive seen your car around. does it have a jetpilot sticker on the back window?

im from junee but i spend about 99% of my time in wagga, used to work in spares at Hillis for a brief period of time too, before i got a better offer.
Old 29-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ahh took my advice and crossed over, good work.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #14
Nemesis

Quote:
hehehe, saw you on the old forums and i think ive seen your car around. does it have a jetpilot sticker on the back window?

im from junee but i spend about 99% of my time in wagga, used to work in spares at Hillis for a brief period of time too, before i got a better offer.
nah no sticker on the back window, it looked very stock outside the car until i got the mags, its white, got a chipped front bumper, is EB GLi, clear indicators and is always dirty, and has a 3 inch round tip. give a toot if you see me

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
Nemesis

ok well i cleared my fault codes on the weekend, and it runs a little bit better, but still not at 100% yet.. does anyone know how i can read the fault codes when the car is in self-test mode?

thanks everyone for the help

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi
Old 04-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

I think i know your numberplate.....start with XQ?

We're going to have a meet here soon so i'll keep you informed. Would be good to see what youve done to the car.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have pm.

Neil

03 XR6T lighting strike auto prem sound 19's
383.9rwkw

96 EF series 2 XR8 sedan manual
neil101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
Nemesis

Quote:
I think i know your numberplate.....start with XQ?

We're going to have a meet here soon so i'll keep you informed. Would be good to see what youve done to the car.
nah man.... SIL.... honk if you see me

and keep me informed about this planned meet

1992 Ford Falcon EB GLi

Last edited by Nemesis; 04-04-2005 at 07:07 PM.