Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

Default Painting Headlights

Hi guys im looking at painting the inner part of the headlights on my au, i knwo there si a document somewhere on the net but i cant find it. all i want ot know realyl is what temp the oven should be and for how long, and if i have to rap it in foil.

thanks guys.

Old 15-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Best to Ask Glenn about this one ... maybe some canola spray too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ask him also what they smell like when they start to burn, lol.
Old 15-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a heat gun turned out to be the best option mate, with the benefit that you can apply the heat where you want it (around the seals) rather than heating the crap out of the whole unit.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I think a heat gun turned out to be the best option mate, with the benefit that you can apply the heat where you want it (around the seals) rather than heating the crap out of the whole unit.
there is nothing at all wrong with heating the whole unit..... i dismantle and re-seal headlights every day using this method and have only come across a couple of rare occasions where it has an effect on the light...

using a head gun IMO is a PITA job....... much prefer to use an oven...

the document should be on aufalcon.com somewhere....... i was the initial creator of the tutorial, which was then tidied up by a couple of the aufalc guys that did their lights...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
there is nothing at all wrong with heating the whole unit..... i dismantle and re-seal headlights every day using this method and have only come across a couple of rare occasions where it has an effect on the light...

using a head gun IMO is a PITA job....... much prefer to use an oven...

the document should be on aufalcon.com somewhere....... i was the initial creator of the tutorial, which was then tidied up by a couple of the aufalc guys that did their lights...
Yep - it should be on aufalcon. I used madnc's guide to do mine, and re-wrote it a tiny bit. The oven is the best bet, but time is critical (ie don't leave it in for too long).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
chief
FTF Club Moderator

If you do get stuck you can get in contact with The Doc. He runs the headlight hospital. Can colour code headlight bezals and re seal them.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
If you do get stuck you can get in contact with The Doc. He runs the headlight hospital. Can colour code headlight bezals and re seal them.
Apparently he's not doing this any more, I wanted him to do mine and he said it's not worth his time to do so he's stopped doing it...
Old 17-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

you sure on that?

i thought that was the projector headlights he was making which were too time consuming...which i dont doubt at all.

painting the bezels is a simple job....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep. He wasn't interested at all when I rang him a couple of months ago.
Old 17-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tibbo used a set of heat lamps on mine iirc, don't use the oven because they catch fire in a gas one lol..
Best bet is to use a blow dryer or some heat lamps.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

thanks for the input guys much appreciated. i used the oven ages ago for my ef but cant remember what i did, why cant they be just like the eb ones! ill check it out now... thanks guys.
Old 18-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

i cant find the document, can someone please copy the link for me, i swear i have looked everywhere! thanks...
Old 18-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i thought that was the projector headlights he was making which were too time consuming...which i dont doubt at all.
Correct, not doing the AU projector's anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Yep. He wasn't interested at all when I rang him a couple of months ago.
Not too sure what the context of that conversation was, but I am still doing colour coded bezels on AU's (quite a few actually), I have had plenty of calls asking me to supply & install the "modified bezels" that were modified for the AU projector headlight, these are finished too. :
Old 18-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Id recommend you get Dok to do the work. He does a dam fine job.
Old 18-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's good to know. There must have been a misunderstanding since I was asking about the black bezels etc andsaid I knew some of the guys on the forums had them, maybe it was thought that I was referring to the projectors. It was a fairly brief call.
Old 18-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The modified bezel is the goods too ... like a mini eyelid in the top of the headlight ... plastic welded in place.

I had a close up pic somewhere ... let me dig it up.
Disregard the projector

Old 18-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Id recommend you get Dok to do the work. He does a dam fine job.
Lets give credit where it's due, it was YOUR idea to do something with the AU headlight, remember! Appreciate the compliments. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The modified bezel is the goods too ... like a mini eyelid in the top of the headlight ... plastic welded in place.
Thanks Simon. I definately should have done more bezels like that me thinks, I'm having some "time off" over xmas, who knows, if boredom sets in.........:
Old 18-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I was asking about headlights around the same time Duffman was as well ... was looking at getting a friend to retro-fit projectors for me .... then found you were make some ... and jumped on the opportunity while i could.

All I can say was Thank God for the AU Picnic Day

At least the workshop won't be a cold dungeon ... but then ... it might be a furnace this time of year (makes it easier to take the lense off the headlights though). :
Old 18-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #20
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hay dok, I finally figured out how to use the camera. Turns out you need to hold down the flash button for a few seconds to let it focus.

Car has been away for the last 2 and a bit weeks and comes back tomorrow with a turbo!
Old 18-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #21
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I was asking about headlights around the same time Duffman was as well ... was looking at getting a friend to retro-fit projectors for me .... then found you were make some ... and jumped on the opportunity while i could.

All I can say was Thank God for the AU Picnic Day

At least the workshop won't be a cold dungeon ... but then ... it might be a furnace this time of year (makes it easier to take the lense off the headlights though). :
Sorry mate, indeed you were actually 1 of the first to subscribe to the thread & put your name down.
It was a top day, hopefully whenever the next 1 comes around (wherever it'll be) we will again catch up.
Yes, the lenses almost remove themselves : Thank god the ashes are won (Cricket, the other "ashes" are still being fought) so I can get back to doing some paid work! :voldar02:
Old 18-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's a better pic of the lights ... I found light reflection from the sky was a pain in trying to get a decent pic of the bezel ... needs to be in the shade for best results like your was.
Old 18-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Hay dok, I finally figured out how to use the camera. Turns out you need to hold down the flash button for a few seconds to let it focus.
Car has been away for the last 2 and a bit weeks and comes back tomorrow with a turbo!
Clever lad. That car looks TOPS, well done. One observation though, why are the stripes black on 1 side & blue on the other??
Old 18-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

One pic is old ... and one is newer .... trust me ... he has kept them one colour.
hee hee

Duffman ... are the black ones the current ones????
Old 18-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #25
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Yup black is current I felt the blue ones looked a bit 'soft and sissy' so went for the black. It black blended in well with the headlights, mesh and driving lights.... well the driving lights are gone now and are replaced by intercooler piping Luckly I never need them though as the projectors are more then enough light.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/bt1.jpg black
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/P1000939.jpg blue
Old 19-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #26
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

some good info guys thanks for your help, still cant find that dam doco.. lol.. im really interested in doing it myself, as previously stated i have done it before but cant remember the oven settings....
Old 19-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

The black stripe are most definately better. Good job!

Keep up the good headlight work Dok!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I will have to put my projector lights in this weekend. Thanks to LG and The Dok for making them. They just help add a personal and unique touch to the car.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post