Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

Default brakes fail while driving

i was driving back from the airport the other day, car is running fine, i come to slow down and the brake pedal goes down all the way verry slowly and the car slows down real slow, instead of stoping dead in its tracks, luckily there was no car infront of me. i pull over see the master cylinder, fluid is fine so i jump back in ,the brake warning light lights up, so does the abs light and the traction cotnrol light, i put it into drive and drive foward, and nothing. no brakes, foot just goes down all the way to the firewall.

so i turn it off, turn it back on a few montues later and everything is fine. i manage to drive home just around the corner, the brakes would work one second then the next the warning light would come and the brakes would go.

im thinking its the brake booster, anyone had similiar problems?

i booked it in with the mechanic and im not driving it untill it gets fixed. its so dissapointing that a car with only 100 000kms on the clock can have problems like this. to be honest i actually enjoy driving my ef gli with 500 000kms on the clock instead of the au ghia. very dissapointed.

Old 25-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah while reading that i thinking brake booster is on the fritz !
Old 25-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gotta disagree with you about the booster. Your brake pedal has a physical link to the master cylinder through the booster. the booster simply creates a negative pressure on the master cylinder side in order to reduce the effort required to effectively brake the vehicle. Even if the booster had a hole in the diaphram and was R.S. your brake pedal should still not sink to the floor as the physical connection to the master cylinder would mean that it couldn't. your choices are that you either have a cracked or split line somewhere or a caliper piston seal or wheel cylinder seal is R.S. or maybe rear master seal.
These options would have the fluid level going down and if it is not then the seal inside the master cylinder is R.S which may allow fluid to pass in between the front and rear chambers which causes your pedal to sink. Start by looking for brake fluid.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
Start by looking for brake fluid.
Agreed, that is the easier and most logical place to start the diagnostic run. Start with the easier, and I guess cheaper options first.

Must have given you a scare. Thankfully you weren't on the freeway emergency braking or similar.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah.. definately not brake booster...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
macca13

Just a thought but it could be the abs playing up as it modulates brake pressure, could also explain the traction control light as it uses the same sensors as the abs.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your brake warning light only comes on when there is low fluid in the reservoir.
all ABS systems revert to standard (non-abs) braking when the abs fails.

it may have an airlock in the system or your bads are very badly worn and all the fluid is going into moving the piston on the caliper when you brake, causing the fliud to drop .
botch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Some correct and incorrect info here.

It is not your booster. If your booster failed you would have a very hard pedal and still have full braking ability, but just a lot harder pedal.
The Brake warning light can come on when 1 piston in the master cylider travels further than the other piston, normally caused by leaking seals in the master or a external fluid leak from the brake hoses or calipers.
Take your wheels off first and check for fluid leaks around bleed nipples or hose fittings. Check for fluid leaks near brake pads which caused be caused by leaking piston seals (not very common)
Check for hoses and pipes for leaks.
Check ABS unit for leaks
If no external leaks are present, it's more likely that your master cylinder has failed.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by botch
your brake warning light only comes on when there is low fluid in the reservoir.
Sorry, but wrong. The brake warning light works off pressure in the braking system. Cause when you bleed the brakes, all is fine untill you open a nipple, pedel goeas to the floor and the brake warning light comes on. This happened to me, and the resivour was full.

As everyone is saying, it more sound like you've got a leak in the system somewhere. My suggestion, put the car up on jacks, take the wheels off, pump the pedel about a dozen time, then look at the lines, bleeders, pads, to see if there's any fluid about. If theres no fluid, then the problem is in the master cylinder.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry but were all wrong - you must have fluid to have something to pressureize !!
botch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
nitroman
nitroman

There is a sensor on the master cylinder that can leak sometimes. Disconnect the wire connection and see if it is leaking.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
BOSXR8
Starter Motor

thankyou all for your comments guys much appreciated, i work 7 days a week (even this time of year yes!) and have no time to even check it out, my mechanic is going to have a look at it tomorrow, the front discs are badly worn but the brakes all around are new (previous owner changed brakes but discs are hammered- dumbass). i have noticed though when i put my foot on the brake and take it off there is a clunk sound comming from the back, (the uni needs changing too so i thought it was from that) although i could be mistaken now and it might be from the rear brakes....

hmmm ill see what the mechanic says tomorrow.

this is the 2nd time i have ever had brake fail while driving, first time was in my eb and i went over the kerb onto grass, thankfully both times have been close calls only, lets hope there is not a third.

thanks again guys ill update you all with what the problem is tomorrow.

cheers.
Old 27-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If the discs are worn too thin, the pistons can push out too far. That's why they have a recommended minimum thickness.

I wonder if this would result in the symptoms you have experienced?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post