Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #31
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you give a quick run down mate?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work GK! When I did mine I just used a small screwdriver to push down on the clips and sort of worked it back from there. I also had to sort of pry it by sticking it in under the end and levering it up and over the clips a little. It's probably lucky I didn't break the plastic, but it worked at the time!
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #33
congo3sr

Thumbs up

Well done George,cant wait for you to have a crack at the wagon,I,ve got a s3 and need all the help I can get.
(another) George :MrT_anim:
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm typing it up now on Word and I'll post it shortly. The full version (or updated version - hopefully with some good pics) will be posted on my Futura workshop thread in the next few days.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #35
str02
99 AU Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Job is done, but the tool still didn't do its job!

Couldn't really get any pics though, but I will do a write up, perhaps when I change the one in the wagon over the next few days, I'll get some more pics that will be of use.
GK
So did you use screwdriver or what to loosen the clips? Looking forward to the pics and write up, hopefully the wagon is the same fitting
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just finished the write up with a diagram using the Word drawing tools. Unfortunately I can post the diagram up with the how to.

Anyone know how to get around this? I don't really want to do the diagram all over again if I can help it!

Just got the diagram into Microsoft paint and I'll see how I go from there! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #37
GK
Walking with God

Default How To – Change Fuel Filter

HOW TO – CHANGE FUEL FILTER

Tools / equipment needed:
Correct filter**
15 and 19mm open ended spanners.
WD40 or equivalent lube
2 Small flat-bladed screwdrivers.

1. park car on flat concrete. Remove fuel pump relay from the fuse bank under the bonnet. Turn the car over for a few short bursts to get rid of excess juice from the line. (Thanks here to bodes-sh and TwistedEL)

2. Jack rear of car up and support on safety stands. I used the factory jack which works very well.

3. Spray nut and allow lube to penetrate. I couldn’t believe how tight the nut was done up!

4. Undo the nut end of the filter first, as this will allow you to pull the filter out of its holder/bracket, giving you the ability to move it around, helping you get it into a better position and enabling you to get a good hold of it. (Fuel will come out of the line, but not too much)

5. The clip can be undone using 2 small flat blade screwdrivers to prise back (gently though) the clips on the connector.

Basically what you have to do is gently insert the 2 screwdrivers into the connector along either side of the shaft of the filter to prise apart the plastic locking ring/o-ring type mechanism (demonstrated by the 2 thicker arrows on the diagram). This plastic locking ring grips the shaft and I think latches onto the part I’ve labelled stopper / ridge and so must be held back to allow the filter to be pulled out. Gently does it though, not much force is needed, but the force must be directed in the right area.

This crude diagram gives you a basic idea of how it all fits together. The connector snap fits onto the pipe of the filter, coming to a stop on the part I’ve labelled stopper/ridge. Actually the stopper is inside of the connector.

The bottom diagram is a rough cross section of the connector, which attempts to give an understanding of the o ring needing to be prised apart! It’s indicated by the arrows. Using the screwdrivers to gently pushing this inner plastic ring aside or prise it apart allows the filter to be pulled out.

And an actual pic of the filter and connector probably helps too!

If you think I've missed something or made an error, feel free to comment and I'll fix it up for the next edition to be posted on one of my workshop threads in a few days time.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Last edited by GK; 01-01-2007 at 06:06 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #38
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good write up GK, about the only thing i think you need to change is the flow direction on your diagram, i'm pretty sure it goes in that hose end first
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
good write up GK, about the only thing i think you need to change is the flow direction on your diagram, i'm pretty sure it goes in that hose end first
You are correct! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Default Reposted With New Correct Diagram!

HOW TO – CHANGE FUEL FILTER

Tools / equipment needed:
Correct filter**
15 and 19mm open ended spanners.
WD40 or equivalent lube
2 Small flat-bladed screwdrivers.

1. park car on flat concrete. Remove fuel pump relay from the fuse bank under the bonnet. Turn the car over for a few short bursts to get rid of excess juice from the line. (Thanks here to bodes-sh and TwistedEL)

2. Jack rear of car up and support on safety stands. I used the factory jack which works very well.

3. Spray nut and allow lube to penetrate. I couldn’t believe how tight the nut was done up!

4. Undo the nut end of the filter first, as this will allow you to pull the filter out of its holder/bracket, giving you the ability to move it around, helping you get it into a better position and enabling you to get a good hold of it. (Fuel will come out of the line, but not too much)

5. The clip can be undone using 2 small flat blade screwdrivers to prise back (gently though) the clips on the connector.

Basically what you have to do is gently insert the 2 screwdrivers into the connector along either side of the shaft of the filter to prise apart the plastic locking ring/o-ring type mechanism (demonstrated by the 2 thicker arrows on the diagram). This plastic locking ring grips the shaft and I think latches onto the part I’ve labelled stopper / ridge and so must be held back to allow the filter to be pulled out. Gently does it though, not much force is needed, but the force must be directed in the right area.

This crude diagram gives you a basic idea of how it all fits together. The connector snap fits onto the pipe of the filter, coming to a stop on the part I’ve labelled stopper/ridge. Actually the stopper is inside of the connector.

The bottom diagram is a rough cross section of the connector, which attempts to give an understanding of the o ring needing to be prised apart! It’s indicated by the arrows. Using the screwdrivers to gently pushing this inner plastic ring aside or prise it apart allows the filter to be pulled out.

And an actual pic of the filter and connector probably helps too!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #41
peterban
AULTD

Why didn't the tool work George?
It looks as though it should have done the job of the two screwdrivers.
I still wonder why some models have this type of clip and others have the easier screw on type.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #42
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Why didn't the tool work George?
It looks as though it should have done the job of the two screwdrivers.
I still wonder why some models have this type of clip and others have the easier screw on type.
From what I could tell, the tool didn't get underneath the inner ring of the clip and lever it outwards.

I'm not sure why they designed them as such, only that for gas and IRS models, the filters were different from the non gas live rear end set ups! Go figure!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #43
FRDTUF
FORD TOUGH

Part No. Z373 Eaii - Bf (au-bf Irs Only) Threaded Fitting Both Sides
Part No. Z528 Au-bf Live Axle One Side Thread, One Push On Fitting...
FRDTUF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #44
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

can some one tell me if when u round the nut on the fuel line weather you can get a new nut and attach it to the fuel line or do i need a whole new fuel line.
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #45
FRDTUF
FORD TOUGH

you can replace the nuts, but you need a flaring tool....
FRDTUF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #46
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

thanks for that mate
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #47
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_AU3_XR8
can some one tell me if when u round the nut on the fuel line weather you can get a new nut and attach it to the fuel line or do i need a whole new fuel line.
I can actually understand how that happens! The nut on mine was so incredibly tight for such a small item.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #48
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

^^^^^^^yeah same here it was like it was seized in there
Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #49
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i made the mistake of purchasing the wrong filter first

but was all good when i realised anyways. The nut on mine was also tight but my clip was easy to do, by pushing the hose towards the filter then wiggling it off would you believe!

all up though, including putting the car up on ramps, took me 30 mins. not nearly as long as changing my leads!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #50
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
but was all good when i realised anyways. The nut on mine was also tight but my clip was easy to do, by pushing the hose towards the filter then wiggling it off would you believe!
Were you wiggling the filter or the clamp?

I figure you were pulling the filter away from the clamp?

These tips might save me some trouble next time! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG