Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #61
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
whats the go with the grand champion winner what a pos
It's obviously good enough to win

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #62
460cixy
burn out king

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tthetities.jpg

be ****** if im going to link 90 odd picks. as for grand champ if you recon removeing the door locks a splash of billet and a airbrushed brockie on the engine cover is enough to win thats tops but i think it was the blokes mullet that pulled him throu

Last edited by 460cixy; 07-01-2007 at 10:37 PM.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #63
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

100's of photos of Summernats 20 here-----------------> http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...14#post1183314

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #64
all4ford
XW 351

This is the first summernats that I have ever been disappointed in the judges decision on "Grand Champion". Before anyone says anything, I am not having a go at the guy with his VP Senator as it is a really really nice car, but it is simply not grand champion material. A warm 5 litre, mad stereo, near stock calais interior and 20s is not worthy of such a title. I am starting to think that this show was judged by Ricers.

When compared to the Myers silver bullet or that green XP (which won a couple of years ago) or anyone of 20 other elite cars, which had all the show, as well as enough go to enter the burnout comp, go to whoa and other driving events.

I did not see this VP in the burnout comp or go to whoa, I only went for the Sunday so correct me if I'm wrong. But if I didn't see it in anything on the Sunday, then it means it didn't make the finals, if it was even entered in these events.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whinging but to me and many other car nuts out there, having big horsepower and entering the burnout comp is what summernats grand champion is all about.

Its the summernats not the auto salon!!!

What are your thoughts?
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #65
460cixy
burn out king

it couldent even do a burn out he tryed after he was given the trophy and was laughed off the strip
Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #66
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey all - I went on the Sunday - was pretty good - here are the pics that I took:

http://kaicooling.id.au/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=816

Was walking down to the dB drag, when the A1 GP car pulled up right at my foot, and then did a burnout right in front of me... I was trying to pull my camera out of my pocket so I didn't even get to cover my ears... they hurt for the rest of the day... not helped by the Jack Daniel's car either...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #67
big_pete
Sublime

the grand champ was a deserved winner, there was only 4 cars that were in the running come sunday, and that was the pick of them.

its quite a nice car too. maybe not as spectacular as previous winners but still very very nice
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #68
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
the grand champ was a deserved winner, there was only 4 cars that were in the running come sunday, and that was the pick of them.

its quite a nice car too. maybe not as spectacular as previous winners but still very very nice
Yeah I've always liked it and I don't like VNs/VPs. It deserves respect anyway, because it is a really nice car.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #69
all4ford
XW 351

I've been informed that no grand champion in the last 10 years has competed in the burnout comp. So if thats true I'm an idiot in that case. :togo:

But this car is just not tough enough to be crowned grand champion!!!

Pick up Street Machine magazine and you'll find plenty of others that are much more worthy which were in attendance there. Like when this car featured it didn't make front cover.

Maybe its just that I dont understand what scores points etc, but in my eyes and many others there, there was disappointment.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #70
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
I've been informed that no grand champion in the last 10 years has competed in the burnout comp. So if thats true I'm an idiot in that case. :togo:

But this car is just not tough enough to be crowned grand champion!!!

Pick up Street Machine magazine and you'll find plenty of others that are much more worthy which were in attendance there. Like when this car featured it didn't make front cover.

Maybe its just that I dont understand what scores points etc, but in my eyes and many others there, there was disappointment.
Yeah but people are always going to have different opinions, on what's worthy and what's not. I bet there were some people who didn't think the Datto that won it last year, was worthy, but everyone's got an opinion to throw around hey?

Also yeah, the grand champions don't have to go in the Burnouts, but go to whoa and the grass events I think.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #71
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
well the grand champ is judged on a number of things, not just the show judging.
they have to be in the top 20 in show judging (that alone makes it a special car). they have to do well in the events (grass driving, go-whoa) - the better you do the more points you get. they also have to go in the supercruise.
and you also have to do well in the peoples choice voting.

all the points are tallied up and the car with most wins
so its not just about who has the best car, but how you drive it.

did you even have a look at this car? its not just nice wheels and paint
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #72
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
[url]
as for grand champ if you recon removeing the door locks a splash of billet and a airbrushed brockie on the engine cover is enough to win thats tops but i think it was the blokes mullet that pulled him throu
If u have a close look at the car I think you'll find there's a little more too it than just what you have described. Firstly I reserve judgment that it was the grand champion FROM MY POINT OF VIEW only, but that's because I prefer the tuff street criteria at an elite level of finish to be something that grand champion should be derived from for a true street machine - big engine, big rear wheels, flawless paint, bodywork etc etc etc but knowing the owner and the car in detail, there are a lot of items that add to all the judging components required and he has set the standard in some and pushed the boundaries in others. I've never really been a fan of the VPs and its easy to c your comment about the simplicity this car displays. He has taken an everyday family sized sedan but modified virtually every element to it - mostly on things u don't pick straight up. for example, the fuel filler has been welded and smoothed over and then reset behind the tail light, the light itslf has been hinged and remotely wired to open. All the brake lines, fuels lines, wires etc run within the chassis channels. Every panel has been set and reset until all shut lines are level and panel gaps are mm exact - trust me they've been measured. Paint has been redone untill it was perfect which in most eyes would have been the first time round. There is heaps more which i won't go into and if anything he did enter all the required events to tally towards the grand champion which meant he did drive it - and actually does as last year it was reregistered and plans for this year will be regular use.

If anything, every year there are comments about the grand champion, no different this time round, as he summed it up himself - u can't please everyone. This year also saw a lot of big contenders not attend due to the unfinished cars - looking at the taste of things for 2007 and knowing some of the projects being worked on, should be a return to the old school tuff/retro theme for the big 21st.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #73
all4ford
XW 351

I'll admit there are several things which I have overlooked. I did look at this car, but obviously not in as much detail as I should have because I have missed some crucial parts.

I can really appreciate the engineering work that has gone into this car now you have made it clear to me what exactly has been done.

I guess, as others have said, its just personal preferences, I'm just hooked on big bad muscle cars. Such as the car that won the burnout comp.

I'll be looking forward to next years event.

On a totally different matter, who was disappointed with the promo girls turn out? lol. I saw about 15 promo girls max, when you would see like 50 at the V8s. The summernats are known for the chicks, was I in the wrong part of the show ground?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #74
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be entering the Buckiericenator next year, so if you want to see quality, you know what car to look at.

Does any know how to repair stone chips :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #75
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

make sure u bring some promo girls Bucky, they were needed and you'll get more people's choice votes
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #76
Kyl3
Circlework.com.au

Just put a bunch of images in the photography section of the forums, if anyones interested

Good show it seemed, though it was my 1st, so i had nothing to gauge it on
Old 08-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #77
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman
make sure u bring some promo girls Bucky, they were needed and you'll get more people's choice votes
Don't worry. I've got some of the kids from Connor's class lined up. Budget is gonna be a bit tight with alll the high performance modification I'm doing to the Falcon. Fluffy dice and chain steering wheels arn't exactley cheap.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #78
HavocXR8
yay still alive

i headed out there for the weekend was suprised, apart from the few incidents that occurred i thought this year was alot tamer than the previouse ones,

other than that had a great weekend, so did my mate who one best 4 cylinder burnout
HavocXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #79
XRated
Shoot.

Anyone got photos of the Grand Champ?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #80
Kyl3
Circlework.com.au

I do, somewhere, it's an highly overrated choice this year though :(
Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #81
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Anyone got photos of the Grand Champ?
There is a shot in the Summernats 20 photo thread in Show and Shine:- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=80509

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #82
XRated
Shoot.

Thanks DRHEMI. Has anyone got any more photos of this (or a link to a Commo forum)? It looks very neat but nothing spectacular, although I realise a lot of subtle work has gone into it.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post