Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #31
Wally
XP Coupe

In Qld you are allowed 4 demerits in the provisonal period. You can take the minimum time penalty suspension or gamble that you won't get one demerit over the ensuing 12 months and double the penalty time.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #32
dmat2391
the average bloke

Obviously a complex issue, but I have one of my apprentices who's coming up to licence and to be honest his a good kid who will generally be responsible. To think he could lose his license over a minor incident is to put plainly stupid and to use the political vernacular unaustralian. Another lad in his 3rd yr did lose his licence for "Dangerous Driving" by a detective on a quite night, copped a court case and 1 yr suspension, from my understanding totally deserved. It was a major pain in the **** for me. Point is the legislation is already there to instantly suspend a p-plate licence or any licence if a police officer thinks it's merited. Granted it takes a court case but how many people come out of that experience with a happy note. By the way that 3rd yr is now a qualified tradesmen and drives like a grandpa!!
dmat2391 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One good thing is the longer and harder they make "P plating" the more chances the victims have for revenge at an election.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #34
WINDSR
Genuine V8

What a load of crap this is. What about P platers with full time jobs that need a licence for there job?

WINDSR plates for sale. (VIC) PM if interested.
WINDSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #35
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

News.com.au - Quote -

The catalyst for the draconian provisions was sparked by findings that P-platers involved in serious accidents or traffic offences usually had a record of previous offences

So WHY penalise All P-Platers . Hell , the biggest majority of P-platers are careful drivers . Only the D/heads need "weeding out" , leave the rest alone .

How are they going to get experience driving by sitting at home with a "cancelled licence" because of 1 or 2 very minor infringements :

No , I'm not a P-plater ( I got off mine in Nov. 1971 ) I'm all for putting the Idiots off the road for a month or so , but this is STUPID

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #36
havoc19
Banned

i also believe this to be rediculous i know a mate who pulled a u-turn at the same spot a cop just did because obviously it was legal the cop then pulled him over for doing an illegal u-turn how ****** is that?
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bumping up this thread because I happened to read a blog which I found to very good and I agree with.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1121/roa...-new-approach/
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #38
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Extract from the book of totalitarianism:

In order to control the population you must not allow them to realise that they are being controlled.
First take a small group and alienate it from the majority by propaganda and vilification showing this group is the major problem and the majority are ok.
Implement dogmatic control systems on this minority. The majority will not be worried because it does not affect them.
After this group is controlled then select another minority group and use the first group as an example. It is important to ensure the media now show the first group in a good light and any problems ignored while the new group has any issue spun to show it as dangerous to the majority.
Repeat this until the controlled group becomes the majority.
Then the remaining people should be vilified and labled as trouble makers and rebels.
They can then be crushed by the weight of the now controlled majority.

There have been P platers and learner drivers since the dawn of the driving era. The scroobys of the world want to control all of us and take away any freedom we have. They have used this method many times and we fall for it EVERY time.
Whatever is implemented for P platers will eventually be implemented for everyone and we will be convinced the WE thought of it and WE are doing it for the betterment of US when actually THEY are doing it for the betterment of THEM.

How about this idea.

Public servants and politicians are the "leaders" of our community and as such must set a good example. Therefore they should never make mistakes and THEY are the one who should have zero points. After all they have lots of experience and as they are smarter and better than the rest of us they don't need any room for error do they?

Somehow I don't think this will happen.....

You have won my vote.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #39
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would hate to be a young person today trying to get a driving licence........I really feel for you guys.

I got my driving licence at aged 15 in NZ back in about 1980, no learners or P plate licence in those days........"full open driving licence!!".

And what did I have to do to get this licence?,.......... drive the Ministry of Transport Officer around the block a few times so he could have a good "perve" at the young ladies about town that day, and answer a couple of extremely basic questions which one would expect any chimpanzee to be able to answer correctly.

Oh..........and no demerit points in those days either, just collect ya fines and throw them in the glovebox with all the others, get round to paying them after ya received a couple of reminders in the mail.

In saying that I now think of course that getting a full open licence at 15 is completely ridiculous, anything that can help in keeping our younger generation alive whilst they actully learn the art of driving a motor vehicle has got to be a good thing in my book.

By that I dont mean just "pass the test", I mean what comes after the test, actually learning from experiences gained whilst driving behind the wheel, gaining confidence and building that "sixth sense" about what is happening around you on the road and being able to assess possible situations before they actually happen.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #40
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This 0 demerit law is absolute bullshit. I'm glad in 12 months time, I can get off my Ps.

So for not stopping at a stop sign or going 1 K over, is an instant loss of your licence? Seems unfair when you're bound to make small mistakes like that. I know it doesn't affect me, because I've been on my Ps for about 2 1/2 years, but I feel sorry for new sensible P Platers, that have to avoid this crap just to keep their licence.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post