Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Fairlane63
Fairlane

Default clonk clonk clonk

that is the sound of my (99 forte's) rear end
happens intermittently and I am thinking a diff problem? sure hope not. only had it less than a month.
any ideas how to diagnose?
Cheers :

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Fairlane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
apoc
AUII I6

When does it go clonk clonk clonk? over bumps? when you whack it in gear?

If it goes clonk when you whack it in gear it is probably some slack being taken up in partially shagged universal joints in tailshaft or diff get under the car when its in park and see if you cant give the tail shaft a bit of a twist (one hand either side of each joint) if it twists around a bit and makes a bit of a clonk you might be onto the culprit. If all the joints seem to be solid and you find slack where the tailshaft spins for a bit and something in the diff goes clunk that would suggest a problem there.

Clonking when cruising over bumps could obviously be something suspension wise, i recently got an AUII and it had a serious case of clonking parts i might suggest you check the exhaust mounts (mine were shagged or torn), and the sway bar bushes (shagged front and rear), and the shocky strut mounts are tight (they seem to be some sort of castellated nut jobby in boot behind seats and mine were loose :( ...)

Hope that gives you a bit help just some suggestions, some more info would be handy

Simon.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Fairlane63
Fairlane

The clonking sound occurs over any surface without bumps. I noticed today that if I pull the handbrake on a little the sound immediatly stops and comes back when I release it fully.

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Fairlane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane63
The clonking sound occurs over any surface without bumps. I noticed today that if I pull the handbrake on a little the sound immediatly stops and comes back when I release it fully.
rear wheel bearings is the answer my friend, jack the car up, give ur rear wheels a shake from side to side, any movement indicates bad bearing.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote