Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Gas back fire brakes airbox....

Hey All,

My car has again back fired on gas and has put a rip in the rubber elbow that joins the throttle body from the airbox, this is the 2nd time it's happend and im wondering maybe i should just replace it with a BA airbox or justget a pod filter and stick it at the end of the pipe that goes into the airbox....

Any ideas on how i can go about doing this? And also any thoughts on my ideas?

Other then that the car is running like a dream!!!!

Cheers

Simon

OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've had 3 backfires in mine with the BA XR8 Pod style airbox and 3" metal intake pipe and had no problems at all (except one guy who nearly had a heart attack at Bunnings when one of the backfires happened).

If you have a balance pipe, i don't think it will work effectively with a Pod, but might be worth a go. But you should be able to get a BA Pod airbox for under $100 and then you just need to replace/fix the pipe between the airbox and TB - metal is better for backfires, but runs fairly hot.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

my mates dad has an EF on gas, and he was on holidays, and the sucker backfired like yours did, but he said it was alot louder than other backfires hes had with it, popped the bonnet and it melted all intake pipes and set the air filter on fire !!!!
Old 14-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

first thing i would be doing is eliminating the backfire, replace plugs, leads and check ur air filter to make sure it isnt overly blocked. with the leads, check to make sure there is no cross firing (white residue on leads at points where leads touch eachother or the motor) and if plugs are replaced every 20-30,000ks this should minimise risk of backfire and blowing ur airbox and ducting to pieces.best option with a pod filter is to keep it in the airbox so as to retain ur balance tube. but if u remove the snorkle and airbox so the pod filter isnt recieving "forced" air to it, u wont need the balance tube.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

do you have the rigid clips on teh airbox or the egas springs?
Old 14-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
AUXRATE
FG F6 310, AU2 XR8

taxis in wa run a ocky strap around the air box , no clips or gas springs.
peeler hub of AUXRATE
AUXRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
do you have the rigid clips on teh airbox or the egas springs?
It's got no springs on there atm cause they've all flown off when it's back fired and fallen onto the road!

But it did have the egas springs on it!

Cheers

Simon
Old 15-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Hmmm... I've had the ute do a LPG backfire on me once in the two years of having it and it's only made the springs loose. I have an EF airbox with 3" metal pipe joined to the elbow.
Old 15-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

On the rubber elbow, leave the hose clamp closest to the airbox off.. If it backfires it will simply pop off and damage nothing

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Funny, Ive never had a backfire on any of my LPG cars over 8 years and 3 cars (not incl the BA which is sequential).

Is it an 8? cause if it is leaving anything unclamped after the air flow sensor could cause problems with the air fuel ratio because of air leaks. If its a 6 then never mind (they dont have air flow sensors do they? Ive never owned a 6 later than a EA but the Im pretty sure efs dont. They rely on the TPS and MAP)

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

had an old EF taxi that was on gas as my first car, backfired once so bad it actually split the brake booster diaphram - resulting in no brake "boosting", didnt realise this had happened though until id pulled out of the parking spot and then couldnt brake when a car stopped in front of me! luckily quick reaction time and reefed the hand brake on - had to drive home 10k's in traffic using the handbrake to slow down and stop ing_sm
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking 3" Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Hmmm... I've had the ute do a LPG backfire on me once in the two years of having it and it's only made the springs loose. I have an EF airbox with 3" metal pipe joined to the elbow.
Hmmm i think i might get some 3" piping made up and stick a pod filter on that end of it and get rid of the airbox and snorkle!

Will this be ok?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the replys everyone! You've helped :
Old 15-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Hmmm i think i might get some 3" piping made up and stick a pod filter on that end of it and get rid of the airbox and snorkle!

Will this be ok?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the replys everyone! You've helped :
That's to the first elbow, comes out of the airbox, goes up and ends there. The rest is the factory plastic stuff from there, round the corner and into the TB.
Old 15-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
That's to the first elbow, comes out of the airbox, goes up and ends there. The rest is the factory plastic stuff from there, round the corner and into the TB.
Correct, so what im thinking is to replace the rubber elbow and put 3" Piping from there and then put a pod filter on the end of the piping or.....Have the 3" piping coming out of the throttle body and around and then have the pod filter sitting at the end of the pipe so id get rid of the air box and snorkle!

Roughly how much would the piping cost??? :

Cheers

Simon
Old 15-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine backfires about once month, seems to do it when i accelarate from lights after a trip along the freeway. i have the spring clips and have had no probs, just open bonnet redo clips and off i go.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Full length from TB to where the airbox is would be around $150 to $180, plus HPC coating if you want to keep it coolish. If you get a bit just from the elbow to the TB, I'd say around $60 to $90 as it only needs the slightest bend in it - though if you're going a Pod, then really it wouldn't need a bend at all.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post