Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Default Diff gears question

When changing diff gears your speedo will be out, so how does one get around this problem. I thought the edit would be able to do it, but have heard it cant.

If I goto 3.7 gears how much will my speedo be out? This will stuff up the auto shift points as well, wouldn't it?

So to the people that have changed diff gears. How did you fix this delima? (sp?)

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i used to have 3.7s in teh rear, inc ombination with the 17/255 is was running the speeda was only 5% out which wasnt too bad.

but it was the ideal ratio choice between taking off and quater mile shifting were perfect
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The edit will fix the shiftpoints.I changed speedo cog in the gearbox to correct the problem somewhat.Ultmately a good electronic speedo corrector should do the job.There are people who can do it for a fee

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

Speedo corrector between the vehicle speed sensor, and the Dash. Then either the edit (to change value for diff ratio), OR another speedo corrector between the dash and the ECU to reverse the correction you made for the speedo/dash...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you get a speedo corrector and intercept the wire as it comes away from the box then the value has changed before it goes anywhere. First you need to get a gps and work out how many K's you are out and percentage it. Mine worked out to be around 11% out after changing the diff and correcting the factory. Mine was way out now at 100kph i am doing 99 which is where i want it. I went from 3.45 to 3.08 but the principle is the same you are just going the other way. And if your not really patient and double and triple check the orientation of each piece on the board then dont build your own kit. There is one from states that does the job, bit more expensive but you can have dual settings so when you change diffs you flick a switch back to original or other setting.
http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp
Just one available
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a 3.73 LSD and 235/45/17 tyres and my speedo is out by 6km/s at 100km/h. This was corrected from an insane 22km/h difference by a number 19 speedo gear in the transmition. I dont know if a bigger gear exists to get it closer.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i have a 3.73 LSD and 235/45/17 tyres and my speedo is out by 6km/s at 100km/h. This was corrected from an insane 22km/h difference by a number 19 speedo gear in the transmition. I dont know if a bigger gear exists to get it closer.
is that the black gear?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Casper]is that the black gear?[/QUOTE

I honestly cannot remember what colour it is. All I know is its a number 19 as it was the largest one my mechanic had at the time. But thinking about it, for some reason red sounds more familiar, but I am still not quite sure. Sorry about that Casper.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Wink Speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
When changing diff gears your speedo will be out, so how does one get around this problem. I thought the edit would be able to do it, but have heard it cant.

If I goto 3.7 gears how much will my speedo be out? This will stuff up the auto shift points as well, wouldn't it?

So to the people that have changed diff gears. How did you fix this delima? (sp?)
There is a speedo calibration guide on www.fordmods.com.au. This takes into account tyre size, diff etc. Mine was exactly 10km out at 100kmph. I used the black speedo cog. Shift points are affected. A unichip can't help but as previously mentioned an edit or Chiptorque chip will fix the problem.
Old 17-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
Free347

Black is for a 3.45 as far as I can recall.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post