Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #31
blackxr1ute
Starter Motor

i have i similar prblem with my series 1 XR8 ute and, suprise suprise i just replaced the suspension and had to get a steel tailshaft made to suit because the original owner fitted a 2 piece commodore tail shaft to beat vibrations. and that was totally rooted after the new suspension. Now i have a vibration in the driveline mainly in 5th gear. it comes on inbetween acceleraton and de acceleration. It doent really happen in any other gear. I also have to wine when the ute backs off.
any help or ideas would be much appreciated
cheers
blackxr1ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the same prob and it turned out to be worn swing arm joints, changed em and clunk is gone
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #33
james22
With da Warlords

Does anyone know how much the diff additive is from ford? Might try it out see if that cures the clunk

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #34
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Does anyone know how much the diff additive is from ford? Might try it out see if that cures the clunk
Im pretty sure about $100 mark, not cheap for a tiny bottle, but well worth it.
Old 14-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #35
james22
With da Warlords

$100 bloody hell. In that case i'll replace my uni joints first. Cheaper alternative and might just fix the prob. If not it might be time to fork out a greenback lol :-)

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #36
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Im not sure what the diff additive is these days , but years ago before they even had this diff additive stuff ( as far as i and workmates were aware ) , back when i was doing hydraulics years ago we used to use a bit of 'Tellus 32' hydraulic oil (about half a cup full ) mixed with the diff oil. This stuff is thick as, its almost like honey and sticks to gears and cogs like elastic around them (it fills slack around gears great), it could keep itself stuck on cogs/gears even while submerged in normal oils . Was great stuff and stopped diff clunks no worries , never had any problems using it. Although that stuff wasn't cheap either, but for $100 you could at least get a 20 litre drum ..lol.

Something to try for those feeling cheap , if you dare , although i can't garuntee what the results would be like in todays diffs !, i recon it would still work np though , it worked fine in the old 9" diffs and other older diffs np.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #37
james22
With da Warlords

now theres an idea...............

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 18-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #38
Mr220kw
Starter Motor

G'day
I was just reading through this post having experienced the same thing with both an Au Xr6 and Au Xr8. I replaced the diff oil with Penrite Sythetic Diff oil, about $80 buck for a two litre container.
http://www.penrite.com.au/files/7U0P...%2080W-140.pdf
It made a considerable difference with the Xr8 which had a lot more clunk than the Xr6. After about 18 mths the Xr8 is stiil really quite, a bit of a clunk every now and then. The Xr6 was a different beast. It never really had much of a problem until last weekend. The wife drove the car from Sydney to Taree with out a problem , however the diff clunked all the way home when she was slowing down. After she stopped at a set of lights she reversed up slightly and the noise was gone when she took off. I spoke to a guy at Craft Diffs in Granville and he said it might of just been the diff loaded up and not releasing. Got them to check it and change the oil, all seemed fine. I took the Xr8 to Ford when it was banging and still under warranty, they came up with the conclusion that it was acceptable wear.???? : :
Cheers
Mr220kw
Mr220kw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
$100 bloody hell. In that case i'll replace my uni joints first. Cheaper alternative and might just fix the prob. If not it might be time to fork out a greenback lol :-)
I've got a mate that works at Ford who told me not to bother with the additive as Penrite LSD additive will do the job just as well if not better. that with Penrite 80/90 or 81/40 oil (IIRC) will fix the problem up. I'm going to try it on mine in the next couple of weeks so I'll post up my results.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah my TE does it although not that bad i have changed my drivin style to work around it abit but its gettin diff oil changed and an additive added to help abit
Old 18-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #41
Sledgehammer
Banned

A little off topic but in teh same vein, you can use an additive for the T5 manual tranny too which improves the shift quality, well that and a quality short shifter.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post