Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The download spiral of repairs ..

In the last few months on my AUII ute I've replaced the airbag clockspring, had front discs machined twice and new pads fitted, had rear discs replaced (and new pads), had the diff/driveshaft inspected for EXCESSIVE clunking noise when it downshifts coming to a hault (I was told these were OK, and that the auto was the problem), have the auto inspected and am now awaiting a replacement TPS and auto service.

However, last night I drove the ute (my wife usually drives it) over to my sisters and it was clunking and grinding it's head off. Every downshift is a CLUNK .. and now it's developed a nasty grinding noise sometimes when it takes off. Sounds/feels like it's coming from back of the auto? Sounds like the engine is strugging to push against something which is binding then eventually the car starts rolling at it's OK??? I'll be calling the auto place again first thing this morning ..

And finally .. when I get home last night and go to lock it, the passenger door will not automatically lock. It just makes this clicking noise. The car thinks it's locked, but I can just walk up to the passenger side and open the door. Great .. just what I want ..

Is door problem a quick/easy fix with wrecker parts?

(BTW: Did I mention I'm getting sick of repairing stuff on this car!!??)

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Oz, sounds like you are having a shocking run!

I hate it when you get one of those. I hope you get through it soon and get these issues sorted so you get a long clean run.

Cheers mate,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez .. how could I have forgotten having to replace the sparkplug leads (backfire) and the radiator!! This car suxs!!!
Old 19-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The door problem is a burnt out actuator, a common problem and all falcons, about $150 for a replacement if memory serves.

How many K's has the ute done? If it's an AUII it's what 5 years old? With the exception of the auto and the radiator, the stuff you've mentioned you've had to do is normal wear and tear stuff....

Are you taking the **** or actually having a whinge?
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
The door problem is a burnt out actuator, a common problem and all falcons, about $150 for a replacement if memory serves.

How many K's has the ute done? If it's an AUII it's what 5 years old? With the exception of the auto and the radiator, the stuff you've mentioned you've had to do is normal wear and tear stuff....

The AU's done 135,000km .. had EVERY service done ontime, by the book a Ford Dealer (?!). Anything which has been wrong has been repaired immediately. So I'd say it's been well looked after. And yet here it is at 5 years old and seems like components continually failing. Is five years too much to expect from it? I've owned cars which are 35-40 years old which haven't caused this much trouble ..

So yes, I am having a whinge. But thankyou for the info about the actuator
Old 19-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

What was the issue with the clockspring?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy

Having to do the discs a couple of times in a few months is hardly normal wear and tear.

A good whinge sometimes helps you know! This is often a good place for sympathy and encouragement. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Parts you will need for the door are.
BAF F21813 A Lock Asy Frt Door 135.00
BAF 14A584 A Wire Door Lock Jumper 11.18
You need the second part ( a wiring loom) as the au actuator got replaced by a BA/F part and as the wiring is different, you need the loom to match the wiring.
Hope that helps.
Old 20-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Parts you will need for the door are.
BAF F21813 A Lock Asy Frt Door 135.00
BAF 14A584 A Wire Door Lock Jumper 11.18
You need the second part ( a wiring loom) as the au actuator got replaced by a BA/F part and as the wiring is different, you need the loom to match the wiring.
Hope that helps.
Did this last week ... need a T30 bit to undo the 3 Torx screws in the door ... need to take door trim off as well ... I replaced mine in the Ford Spares carpark as I needed the door to lock for work purposes. Didn't take long at all to do ... oh ... a flat blade screwdriver ... a phillips head screwdriver ... and a 10mm socket as well to get the door trim off.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have just got through a lot of repairing and getting things fixed on the ute as well ... I am over 200K though now. But I have just put in a new strengthened auto though to cope with the load I take.

I am still having an intermittent overheating issue underload .... accentuated with A/C on during hot weather. I have come to the conclusion it is something to do with the location of the transmission cooler (hopeing to rectify it soon and test yet again).

Mind you this week I have racked up 3,000km for work ... and it hasn't missed a beat ... go figure.
Old 20-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
In the last few months on my AUII ute I've replaced the airbag clockspring, had front discs machined twice and new pads fitted, had rear discs replaced (and new pads), had the diff/driveshaft inspected for EXCESSIVE clunking noise when it downshifts coming to a hault (I was told these were OK, and that the auto was the problem), have the auto inspected and am now awaiting a replacement TPS and auto service.

However, last night I drove the ute (my wife usually drives it) over to my sisters and it was clunking and grinding it's head off. Every downshift is a CLUNK .. and now it's developed a nasty grinding noise sometimes when it takes off. Sounds/feels like it's coming from back of the auto? Sounds like the engine is strugging to push against something which is binding then eventually the car starts rolling at it's OK??? I'll be calling the auto place again first thing this morning ..

And finally .. when I get home last night and go to lock it, the passenger door will not automatically lock. It just makes this clicking noise. The car thinks it's locked, but I can just walk up to the passenger side and open the door. Great .. just what I want ..

Is door problem a quick/easy fix with wrecker parts?

(BTW: Did I mention I'm getting sick of repairing stuff on this car!!??)
thats bad luck mate ,the door lock thing does sound like a wear an tear thing, could the grinding thing be handbrake dragging/grinding? hope its easily resolved.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I have just got through a lot of repairing and getting things fixed on the ute as well ... I am over 200K though now. But I have just put in a new strengthened auto though to cope with the load I take.

I am still having an intermittent overheating issue underload .... accentuated with A/C on during hot weather. I have come to the conclusion it is something to do with the location of the transmission cooler (hopeing to rectify it soon and test yet again).

Mind you this week I have racked up 3,000km for work ... and it hasn't missed a beat ... go figure.
i would be surprised if the cooler was the problem i fitted a cooler to mine about 3 weeks ago and i must confess i was thinking this cooler is going to screw up the air flow to the radiator (the tranny cooler is a biggy) and affect the air con coolness as well, but i dragged a 16 foot van to queensland suburbs to see relo`s up there and to noosa and home(from melb) through high 30c tempretures loaded with way to much crap for the trip, and it made bugger all difference to my surprise.....are your fans taking a nap now and again?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i hafd a similar prob with my auto (au2 2000 wagon forte) with cluncking etc. turns out the rear extension housing seal was leaking and the box only had a couple of litres left init. auto should be serviced every 20-30,000 ks.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
May not be the problem,but you could possibly have a bent propeller shaft.
My tranny is at the end of it's life(248,000km),and while getting a couple of faults diagnosed, my mechanic told me that it wasn't uncommon to have a bent propeller shaft- a result of the excessive hardwork being done by trannys that are in need of reconditioning.And unfortunately each problem makes the other worse,as the seals get quickly worn.
I would certainly have it checked when sorting out your tranny.

Good luck!
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

download :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Was waiting for someone to harp on that ... was thinking of making a comment about it