Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
chopp

Default damaged vehicles

is there any way of finding out if a vehicle has been in an accident , or had damage repaired. is there any sort of registry for this.thanks.

chopp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopp
is there any way of finding out if a vehicle has been in an accident , or had damage repaired. is there any sort of registry for this.thanks.
Maybe an insurance company can find out for you? Maybe even REVS?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think no matter how good a repair is, a detailed inspection by an experienced person wo has seen a car or 2 will be able to find signs of panel repairs i would think...

But i doubt a registry would exist, think of all the privatly repaired cars driving around.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

any insurance company written off vehicle is recorded nowadays. if you phone to do a vehicle check (vsr, revs ect) they will tell you if its been a repaired write off.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
any insurance company written off vehicle is recorded nowadays. if you phone to do a vehicle check (vsr, revs ect) they will tell you if its been a repaired write off.

Yep thats correct as once a car has been written off you cant insure it
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
Yep thats correct as once a car has been written off you cant insure it
no thats not true.

if the car is a statutory write of it can never be re-registered and there fore not insured. but a repairable write of can be registered and insured, although some finance companies and insurance companies may want to inspect the vehicle.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

my old man bought my old EA monty as a repairable write off many moons ago for 4k. (yes, they were worth that once) and all he had to do was fix it and the usual stuff for RWC and rego, insurance was never a problem either....
except for the CFI, AAMI declared the motor from an XF, because all were MPFI apparently *cough* idiots.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

There is no data bas as to whether a car has been involved in an accident. Also an insurance company will not tell you a cars history. The best way is to take someone who know alot about panel repairs.

Also writen of cars can be reinsured. The insurance company may only cover for third party, or may want to see the receipts or even inspect the vehicle to confirm it has been done properly.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
Cameronhayward
STR8 6

Go to the RTA website, there you can enter the cars serial number and rego number and you can find out how many owners it has had plus if it has been in any accidents.
Cameronhayward is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronhayward
Go to the RTA website, there you can enter the cars serial number and rego number and you can find out how many owners it has had plus if it has been in any accidents.
That would be reported accidents, plenty of repairs done both proffesionally and backyard I am sure they know nothing about.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
cupic
Nikon

[QUOTE=FTGAutosalvage]no thats not true.

if the car is a statutory write of it can never be re-registered and there fore not insured.

Thats what I meant
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Each state has a WOVR system, written off vehicle register. However only compolurary for cars under 15 years of age. On the WOVR form it gives the option to show repairarble write off or statutory loss.
Quite often a car is beyond economic repair, for instance a Datusn with a market value of $1000.00 will be written off as a repairable write off if the repairs would cost say $1500.00

As for not being registered or insured again, what has been said is pretty much correct, if a Statutory write off, it will never get registered again, If a repairable write off, it will need the proper repairs and roadworthness to pass a registration test.
The second part of the discussion was about being insured again, yes if it is veiwed and correctly repaired there is usually not a problem, however if you decide not to let your insurer know before you take out a policy, if your car is already registered on the WOVR system, you may find your claim denied if its written off again.