Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default advise with a learners permit

Like the title says i need some advise, My brother got cought driving without his plates up. He got a fine and also they are saying hes gonna loose it for X amount of time (up to the cop) and have to sit the test again, and no chance of appeal. Now i was wondering if anyone here has had the same thing but mannaged to keep your permit? If so what did you do/say to them? Any advice would help CHEERS!!! Oh yeah im in SA also (rules could be different in other states)

starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Ford_V8

I doubt he will get away with it, was he with a licenced driver without plates or was he driving without a licenced driver and no plates?
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He was with a licenced driver but the dump ***** forgot to put the plates up
Old 30-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
andrewts
White Car Driver

I dunno, it sorta sounds like he broke the law, maybe he should just cop it on the chin?
Old 30-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

A mate of mine lost his for 6 months for not showing P plates. Could'nt avoid it. a few years ago it was just an $80 fine.
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Ford_V8

he could always say that they were on but fell off without him realising, or he wasn't in a position to re-apply them safely. I think he should just wear it though and take whatever he gets, i'm sure he wouldn't do it again after this.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
I dunno, it sorta sounds like he broke the law, maybe he should just cop it on the chin?
100% agree....
he knew the law......its drummed into you when you sit the test.... he flaunted the law and didnt put his L plates up.......so he should be penalised......

more fool the licenced driver too.... they should also cop something IMO.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
100% agree....
he knew the law......its drummed into you when you sit the test.... he flaunted the law and didnt put his L plates up.......so he should be penalised......

more fool the licenced driver too.... they should also cop something IMO.....

I was under the impression that the Supervising Driver copped the same fine as the learner did. Therefore, if a learner is caught speeding, then the Licensed driver gets the same treatment (demerit points, fines etc.).

Tell him to cop it sweet. Its his own stupidity, and therefore his responsibility to ensure it never happens again.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

he should just man up and take responsibility, if he didnt know it was illegal not to show the plates he dosent deserve them..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #10
havoc19
Banned

*** all these shitty opinions be a man blah blah bullshit if you can get off the fine then do it the cops just being a smart **** ****er oh no no L Plates the worlds gona fuking end tell the courts the cop should get another job were he might have to work properly not give l platers a hard time. IMO
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav 4.0
A mate of mine lost his for 6 months for not showing P plates. Could'nt avoid it. a few years ago it was just an $80 fine.
I got done for only displaying 1 P plate, and got a $80 or $90 fine I think it was... but I keept my licence...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
Mike92
Starter Motor

Skotty, it may have been a different story if you didn't have any up. (maybe)
Old 30-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc19
*** all these shitty opinions be a man blah blah bullshit if you can get off the fine then do it the cops just being a smart **** ****er oh no no L Plates the worlds gona fuking end tell the courts the cop should get another job were he might have to work properly not give l platers a hard time. IMO
And this advice helps...... how? I fail to see a solution in amoungst these angry ramblings??

Gotta say starkers, doesnt sound good. Pretty sure its loss of license here in SA if there's no plates up at all. If there was 1 up... i think its just a fine... but displaying none.... not good.

Unless there's an administrative error on the ticket... i dont see any way out of it?? Can you still throw yourself at the mercy of a magistrate these days? "Please dont take my license, i need it to *insert reason here*"
Old 30-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He understands that he buggered up and hes not just trying to wiggle out of it, the fact is he may loose his job. So thats why we thought that maybe they would let him do some sort of probation or something, but it doesnt seem like the case. I guess all he can do is ask and plead!!
Old 30-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
He understands that he buggered up and hes not just trying to wiggle out of it, the fact is he may loose his job. So thats why we thought that maybe they would let him do some sort of probation or something, but it doesnt seem like the case. I guess all he can do is ask and plead!!
Yeah, at school my mates always got their license back when caught speeding on their P's... by pleading that they need their license for work/school/whatever.

if this option is available for learner's permit, may be worth pursuing.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
you're an idiot.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
you're an idiot.
E-mutant, would you expect anything less! : :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How come he needs a learner's license for his job?

In NSW at least, it's 1 point every plate not on the car... But the question remains, what was he doing to get pulled over? Was he driving a done up car/cop magnet car? I know heaps of people who have been driving without l plates who got pulled over at RBT's, and they were just told to put on L plates or not drive, not fined.

Also, it won't be up to the copper to decide how long ur brother is without his licence, it'll be like 3 months I believe, whatever the penalty is in your state for losing points on your l's...

If you take it before a magistrate without any grounds to do so, all you're going to do is cop court fees. I doubt he'll get off...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
E-mutant, would you expect anything less! : :
Settle down...

No point even thinking about fighting this one. Both people should get a fine.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
How come he needs a learner's license for his job?

In NSW at least, it's 1 point every plate not on the car... But the question remains, what was he doing to get pulled over? Was he driving a done up car/cop magnet car? I know heaps of people who have been driving without l plates who got pulled over at RBT's, and they were just told to put on L plates or not drive, not fined.

Also, it won't be up to the copper to decide how long ur brother is without his licence, it'll be like 3 months I believe, whatever the penalty is in your state for losing points on your l's...

If you take it before a magistrate without any grounds to do so, all you're going to do is cop court fees. I doubt he'll get off...
Hes a forkie and for insurance reasons his work likes them to at least have their L's, and also his ride to work is quitting soon.

He was doing nothing wrong just a random licence check wrong place/wrong time.
Old 30-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #21
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Way to show your maturity....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok. I'll end it. Havoc19 should wait 3 seconds before typing something.
As somebody said, it's better for people to think you're a fool than to open your mouth/type something and remove all doubt.

Secondly, putting your L plates on your front and rear windows is the easiest part of being a learner driver. There is no risk of an accident, speeding or damage to your car.

Your brother should make it his own responsibility to put his L plates on the car. If he can't do that, I recommend he invests in a bicycle or buys a concession card for public transport.
Forget the experienced driver...he is the learner, he is the driver, therefore he is in control of the motor vehicle and it is his job to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy to specification. In his case, the vehicle must have a fully licensed driver in the front passenger seat and L plates must be displayed on the front and rear windscreens at all time.

The rules are clearly written in the Learner handbook.

Cop it on the chin, learn from the mistake and it will make him a more vigilant driver in the future (at least we hope).

There are times when we can't win. But this is a valuable experience.

May the forks be with you.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #23
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Ok. I'll end it. Havoc19 should wait 3 seconds before typing something.
As somebody said, it's better for people to think you're a fool than to open your mouth/type something and remove all doubt.

Secondly, putting your L plates on your front and rear windows is the easiest part of being a learner driver. There is no risk of an accident, speeding or damage to your car.

Your brother should make it his own responsibility to put his L plates on the car. If he can't do that, I recommend he invests in a bicycle or buys a concession card for public transport.
Forget the experienced driver...he is the learner, he is the driver, therefore he is in control of the motor vehicle and it is his job to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy to specification. In his case, the vehicle must have a fully licensed driver in the front passenger seat and L plates must be displayed on the front and rear windscreens at all time.

The rules are clearly written in the Learner handbook.

Cop it on the chin, learn from the mistake and it will make him a more vigilant driver in the future (at least we hope).

There are times when we can't win. But this is a valuable experience.

May the forks be with you.
Pretty much agree with all you said except for the "Forget the experienced driver" bit.

As the experienced driver, it is also his/her responsibility to at the very least, ensure the "L" plates are clearly displayed.

The last thing I would want being in the experienced drivers position is for fellow motorists and road users NOT to know the driver was a learner.

It actally helps the learner as other road users typically tend to give the learner a bit more space.

I know I do.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #24
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel sory for him. When someone else is driving the same car who is not on there L's, it can sometimes slip the mind to put them back up. I once got caught without having my P plates up. It was the work car and my brother had driven the car last. I forgot to put the plates back up and I got caught. I didnt do it on purpose and I explained the situation to the cop. Luckly the cop wasnt a traffic cop and he was alright and let me go

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #25
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

I cant say that i agree with that there is never no risk of an accident.

I think everyone is missing the point. He knows he stuffed up and isnt just trying to weasel his way out of it we just want to know if there is some kind of appeal process etc.. so he can keep his job