Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Moving from ED to EF/L-A big deal?

Hi everyone. To make a long story short I'm looking at selling my ED Fairmont and replacing it with either 1. an ultra tidy/low km ED Ghia 2. An EF/L Fairmont/Ghia.

I've had a long love affair with the EA-D shape and just can't get over how good it looks-tough, but clean cut. Like 'The Rock' in a versace suit or something. For the record the EF+ styling is a little too 'soft' for me. I'm wondering whether it's silly to sell an ED and get another one when it's a chance to possibly upgrade. How will an EF/L improve my day to day commuting? Is it a big jump or not really?
Getting another ED is potentially much cheaper but the adult in me keeps saying I can't stick with a potentially less comfortable/efficient/powerful car just cos i prefer it's styling.

Any thoughts or comments would be massively appreciated!!!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

I've just sold my EF, but given the choice of any E-Series i would take an EF or EL over an EB/D anyday. I really am not keen on the EA-D interiors, in particular the dash. Thats probably the first thing youll notice - the dash layout itself isnt THAT different, its just better thought out and a better looking one IMHO.

Other than interior differences the mechanical ones are not exactly huge, but theyre good to have. Youll find an EF easier to drive than an EA-D (I did anyway).
Old 09-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
BuuBox

Perhaps you could go for a EB Ghia V8? I agree with you on the styling points, the EL softened the look considerably. Personally, I think the EL/EF dash looks sparse with acres of light grey plastic, but that's just my opinion...

You should have a test drive of a few different cars, and see if you notice any changes between the models. Good luck, a 'new' car is always nice.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

I rather my ED XR6 over my parents EF XR6... for me its just too soft! like the seats... in the EB/ED theyre got a more racier style to it whereas the EF's are just plain ordinary ones... i like the ED more cause its got a more dirt-cheap/Boy-racer feel to it, the EF may be abit more sophisticated but i prefer my xr anyday!
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
InitialD
Low and Loud

If you dont mind me asking, Whats the reason for selling your ED 'monty?
Personally if your going to go EF/EL, go a Ghia since then you have everything
There isnt going to much ALOT of difference between your ED Fairmont and a ED GHIA except for major stuff like seats & Diff

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I'd drive an EF and see what you think. Bear in mind that the most noticable updates in efficiency, such as thermo fans, are easy and cheap to put in aftermarket. Also in replacing the car you risk buying a more troublesome example, as has happened to many people in the past. The EF is a more sophisticated package, particularly in terms of safety and refinement, but it's not a justifiable upgrade for everyone.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
TUFED6
Banned

Is anyone here running an EF-EL interior (dash, everything) in a EA-ED?

I presume it would all fit, never seen it done though.

- John
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #8
Damo
Banned

yeah Rmyers has a full EF ghia interior in an EA. It's very nice. There's probably heaps of others.

I wouldn't buy another ED if i was you, unless your's is stuffed?
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

nah, not worth the upgrade to another ED.
the EF/EL still *feels* like an ED, just slightly more refined.
a different look, younger car etc.
interms of changing ur day to day... only to the extent of visual appeal..
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
danege

I went from a 91 EB Fairmont to an 94 EF GLI. both 6cyl, both auto.

I must say that i never looked back. The EF is just that much of a nicer car to drive. It is alot smoother and more comfey. I liked the velour interior or the EB heaps when i first owned it but it just started to **** me off trying to keep it clean and stuff all the time. IMHO i like the interior of the EF better.

Just driving it though, feels a whole lot better than the EB.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I appreciate them!

Back2thefutura- I quite like the ED Fairmont seats and door trims, I think it's one of the nicest E-Series ones to have. The ED dash IS starting to look old, but the layout/design is so logical and sound that I don’t mind it (except for the mystery squeaks/rattles)

Ive driven a friends EF2 Gli and it DID feel smoother in a lot of areas. The steering was lighter/nicer and felt more ‘removed’ from the harshness of whats going on under the bonnet.

BuuBox-I'm not really a V8 kinda guy, always had a thing for the 6pack. The EF/L dash is quite nice, but I agree with you that it does have aces of plastic there. If I was going to be alongterm owner and moneyspender on the ED Id throw a later dash in.

It would be a good idea to test drive some EF/Ls and some other types of cars just to see what I'm missing out on. The concept of a newer, fresher car is tantalizing.

Supa ROO- “i like the ED more cause its got a more dirt-cheap/Boy-racer feel to it, the EF may be abit more sophisticated but i prefer my xr anyday!”

YES! That’s exactly it. The boy racer feel! The EF/Ls are much more upperclass looking than the EA-D. The boxy/crisp styling of the EA-D is tough-as.

InitialD-“If you dont mind me asking, Whats the reason for selling your ED 'monty?
Personally if your going to go EF/EL, go a Ghia since then you have everything
There isnt going to much ALOT of difference between your ED Fairmont and a ED GHIA except for major stuff like seats & Diff”

Basically I want a car that’s in really good nick. I want the duco to be as perfect as possible, and get something with low km’s. Seeing ED brochure scans on fordforums has me wishing I was an adult when they were new and I could’ve bought one fresh off the line and kept it mint. My car has a few dints here and there and over 200,000kms so a low km, mint condition Ghia is enticing.

If I go the EF/L itll definitely be the Ghia, I want tickford engine and suspension!

Trouty-Upgrading to another car is very daunting, as the ED has given me no real trouble the whole time ive owned it. I have heard of ppl upgrading to newer cars and having more trouble.

“The EF is a more sophisticated package, particularly in terms of safety and refinement, but it's not a justifiable upgrade for everyone.”

Really If I go up it’ll be cos it’s the logical thing to do- as opposed to selling ur car, and getting basically the same thing again. But I don’t really need anything that EF has to offer. The ED does what I want it to do period. I don’t want EF for the cupholders or thermofans. But is it enuf to want another ED cos of the ext. styling?

EFFalcon- “nah, not worth the upgrade to another ED. the EF/EL still *feels* like an ED, just slightly more refined. a different look, younger car etc. interms of changing ur day to day... only to the extent of visual appeal..”

Therein lies the problem, visual appeal is a big to deal to enthusiasts. I know the ‘ford feel’ will be there so I’m not worried the an EF-L will driver worse than the ‘D’. I guess if it's comfy enough and drives nice I’ll get to like the car as an overall package.

My ED is running fine at the moment, smooth and powerful with the occasional squeaks/rattles here and there (lowered+16” tyres) And really I'm not happy with the exterior. To get it mint a full respray would be in order, but I can't justify the money involved-for that money I can upgrade.

The finish on EF-Ls seems to me to be a step up, the paint looks thicker and build quality is pretty good. If the car is smoother, with less rattles/squeaks and easier to drive maybe it is time to let go of the early cars.

Maybe I can come back to an ED in 20 years when they're a classic and build up a dream example!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

i completely agree...
i already have plans for what i'd do visually to a EA-ED had i owned one, deffinately feel the boy racer style coming out
Old 12-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I take it youve never owned an EA-ED EFfalcon- whats your opinion from the other side of the fence?

Its funny that when youre thinking about a particular kind of car, you see them everywhere you go! Yesterday I was at an intersection surrounded by 3 EFs and an EL. Theyre not so bad. While they dont look as tuff as the ED, they do look alot more modern. So Ive decided to start looking around and within the next few months mite be saying so-long to the the 'D monty' Ill just have to go from boy racer to sipping chardonnay in an EF Ghia. =)

Thanx to the mid life crisis phenomena I should be purchasing a cherry red ED XR8 Sprint around 2030. =)
Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

Hahaha, i think the EF/EL is a worthy upgrade.
a lot of nice parts can be transfered over which is a handy thing and the overall car is different enough to feel like a new car.
the EFII Ghia would be the most worthy upgrade, aslong as u can find one with a decent interior..
Old 12-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #15
wheels_au

Talking

Its funny though. I have been with the thought of getting a xr6 ef/l. However I currently own a ED fairmont and just because of the love of the car I can't part with her. Prolly because of the time and heart ache put into it. But the ED has been a passion of mine so the attachment is there. But Ef/l - nice cars too as a mate has one, but the XR6/8 throw a bit more aggression into the shape of the car. The theroy of when you are looking at another car, they seem to pop up everywhere.
Old 13-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

My emotional attatchment to the D and the fact that u can still see a bit of EA-D in the Ef/Ls were the two reasons I was hesitant to consider moving up.
Having a look at a mate's EF i noticed assorted interior bits of plastic trim that was carried over, plus the fact the doors are the same (except they added the curvy bit on the rear and new mirrors front) Im not big on the midlfe update, for example as much as i like the BA, the styling is just not as pure as that of the AU. The carryover doors and doorsill wreck all the effort Ford put into the front back, and roof of the EF. However as with BA, a bodykit's sideskirts helps hide the EF's origins quite nicely. Plus EF absoloutely hoses the VR for differentiation effort (*cough* pox dash and same doortrims *cough*).

So the ED's time is drawing to an end. Im sure shell make a great first car for a P plater out there (I wouldve loved a Fairmont for my first)

I'll go the EF2 Ghia and we'll see what we can do about the soft styling with some XR wheels and bodykit... :hihi:

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 13-04-2005 at 05:21 PM.