Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
LOWAU

Default Crow cam for AU I6

Has any one run the following crow cam 2232550 in their AU?

The 2222546 cam looks good too but it might be too agressive with the 3500-6500 power range, maybe a vernier gear cam bring it down a bit?

http://www.crowcams.com.au/templates...A-AU-OHC.shtml

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU

The 2222546 cam looks good too but it might be too agressive with the 3500-6500 power range, maybe a vernier gear cam bring it down a bit?

I run 2232549 in my AU, I was looking at 2232550 a little while back but decided against it.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive got the 2232522, im happy.. but a new diff say.. a 3.7 or 3.9 and a mild stall converter would help it greatly.. but for me i have lost interest pouring money into my au. i am about to rebuild an XD so all my money is going on that,, and to be honest will go a lot faster than any I6 AU

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:

i ran a 550 in my AU before i pulled the 6 out with a vernier gear. a little doey in the bottom end but once u r up in the revs she was a screamer. then again my AU was a manual with 3.7 LSD.

the timing gear will not alter the power range whatsoever, it gives u the tool to dial in the cam spot on, accounting for chain stretch, tensioner wear, headgasket thickness, etc

i am using the 546 equivalent in my EF with auto and stock diff and she works fine, not quite as punchy as my AU was, however the turbo is soon to come :p
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
JoesAu

i rang Crow today they wont have any Au cams for the next 6 months. i wanted the 2549 yes its a eseries cam but he was gona grind it to suit Au for me but he wont be able to do it till june he told me. i cant wait months so im looking for alternatives but i dont want a regrind i want new. So anyone know who else to turn to for a cam?? My other option was to change my rockers to eseries ratio and try that cos they have plenty of eseries cams in stock.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
i rang Crow today they wont have any Au cams for the next 6 months. i wanted the 2549 yes its a eseries cam but he was gona grind it to suit Au for me but he wont be able to do it till june he told me. i cant wait months so im looking for alternatives but i dont want a regrind i want new. So anyone know who else to turn to for a cam?? My other option was to change my rockers to eseries ratio and try that cos they have plenty of eseries cams in stock.
I doubt you will get a billit , a regrind is still very good if installed correctly
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

http://www.surecam.com.au/
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
why the hack is that? i put an order in a few days ago no worries ... interesting
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
JoesAu

really, well i might ring back see what they tell me the second time, i find it hard to believe they would lie but who knows.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
LOWAU

Thanks for the replies guys.

Which crow cam will work well with gas and i'm hoping without upgraded valve springs? I want a billet cam that I can just slot in with minimum hassel thats why I am looking at crow. The 2232549 looks good but it says its for EF-EL even thou it listed under 1.8:1 rocker ratio???

My car is auto and Duel fuel. It has a full exaust system and 3.73 geared LSD. Looking to get a stall but we'll see how the cam performs first.

I know the two cams that I first quoted will be a bit too much but they were for my brothers car, this is for mine.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The Crow website badly needs updating...
Old 06-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I liked the look of the 2232549 but in the AU grind for 1.8:1 with not much lift as the E series which it was obviously developed it didn't do much. It wasn't bad but not for stock ecu auto cars if you ask me. Check my workshop build and gallery to see how it went in my AU
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Have a look here and see how my AU ran with a few different cams

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=500&page=1
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
EvilChief
Boost Addict

pretty poor performance of the Dev4 compared to the 3HL

AUs do not need valve springs if u get off the shelf cams
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Which crow cam will work well with gas and i'm hoping without upgraded valve springs? I want a billet cam that I can just slot in with minimum hassel thats why I am looking at crow. The 2232549 looks good but it says its for EF-EL even thou it listed under 1.8:1 rocker ratio???

My car is auto and Duel fuel. It has a full exaust system and 3.73 geared LSD. Looking to get a stall but we'll see how the cam performs first.

I know the two cams that I first quoted will be a bit too much but they were for my brothers car, this is for mine.
Hi LOWAU, I have been informed by gas experts as well as CROW that a gas setup needs a cam with split duration (More lift and duration on the exhaust). This apparently helps with exhaust flow whilst not decreasing the intake velocity (Which gas needs).

If you go a cam with a high lift and long duration on both inlet and exhaust you run the risk of reducing intake velocity and therefore reducing power.

Regards

Norton
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
I liked the look of the 2232549 but in the AU grind for 1.8:1 with not much lift as the E series which it was obviously developed it didn't do much. It wasn't bad but not for stock ecu auto cars if you ask me. Check my workshop build and gallery to see how it went in my AU
Well interesting you should think that.

This gets back to the dyno day winner engine versus the drag strip engine debate.

The Dev3HL does peak nicely but the dev4 has a fatter power curve.

The DEV4 drives better on the road and on the strip the area under the power curve counts more than the peak.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
pretty poor performance of the Dev4 compared to the 3HL

AUs do not need valve springs if u get off the shelf cams
Let the track do the talking. Me the dev 4 vs dev 5 + head in june July. The Au valve springs ( I have 24 of them) can take 500 lift very safely and up to 510 with 30 thou to spare.They have 90lbs on the seat though which really needs more.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...hp?photo=21449

heres my analysis by kmph. All diff ratios are 3.45 and 3.73 so it gives an idea from that perspective

Dev 4 in standard head dies in the butt up top but nice power until then.A new head may change that.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #19
JoesAu

spoke to Surecams wont have any cams for 6 months. Is there a shortage of billet in the world wat is goin on???
Old 07-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
spoke to Surecams wont have any cams for 6 months. Is there a shortage of billet in the world wat is goin on???
Yes Billets are hard to get! i ran a billet Crow and regrind JMM and honestly no difference at all who cares about a couple of washers in each HLA it makes no difference at all regrinds work just as well and I haven't kept the same cam in long enough to worry about longevity.