Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #31
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

mmmmmmmm write of aye
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #32
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burley
dams mate...did the crash happen at hexham....looks so from the pic....bad news buddy....hope it all goes well with ur insurance company
Yep, sure did. Happened at 8:45am this morning. I was heading East on the New England Highway, traffic was moving slowly (just a bad time of day to be heading that way on the highway I guess), I was in the far left lane as I approached the intersection where the BP and the Bogas are (just after the Hexham bridge), probably doing 60kph (it's an 80 zone). The Commodore had been heading West however he was in the turning lane in order to turn right across the three lanes of Highway that I was travelling in and go down Old Maitland Road (ie. the BP/Bogas intersection). The middle and right hand lanes next to me had Semis in them that had come to a halt before I was beside them, but traffic in front of them had moved on so I was aiming to use that gap in order to merge (the lane ends about 500m up the road from the location of the accident). I remember thinking "Hmm, those semis are taking a while to get going", little did I know they were letting the Commodore driver through, but he failed to check ALL three lanes were clear before he proceeded. He didn't see me at all and I didn't see him until I was metres away from him. I don't really know what happened to his car after the impact, whether I pushed him around 180 degrees or not, not really sure can only make educated guesses. My car came to a halt, airbags deployed, smoke filled the cabin (couldn't breathe), got out of the car and with the help of another guy who'd had an accident 10 mins earlier at the same spot, we pushed it off the Highway and into the Bogas service station. Coolant was flowing out of the poor thing and the cabin was totally engullfed in smoke.

That's about it really. No major injuries, everybody was okay. I have a slight burn on my right thumb from the airbag explosion and my right wrist was a little bit sore from the impact but it's all fine now.

Made my police report this afternoon and have an event number to give my insurance company. I didn't realise that if both cars were towed that the police have to be involved and brought to the scene of the accident, I only thought that was if alcohol or major injuries were involved. Apparently the tow truck drivers shouldn't have moved anything until the police were there but nobody knew this until later. It seems all good though, the officer at Maitland Station seemed cool about it. The other driver called me tonight to see if I was okay which was really nice. Actually he was really a top bloke, he was just frustrated (he'd been waiting to cross the highway for at least 5 minutes) and took a risk that didn't quite work out the way he would have liked (or the way I would have prefered, hehe).

On the way home from the Police Station I stopped into the Smash Repair place where my car was going to be taken for assessment. I wanted to ask the guy how much opportunity I'd have to take out my Headunit and UHF if the car was written off. He looked at me funny and said "Do you think it's going to be written off?" and I said "Well, it's pretty bad, both airbags have popped and I'd say there's chassis or suspension damage" and he said "Well, I haven't looked at it properly yet, but I think we'll be able to fix it. I'll give you a call if it gets written off and you can bring the stock radio back and do a swap."

Do Smash Repair places get any money from a write-off? If they don't then I would imagine they'd be trying to fix as many cars as they can if they're gonna make more money from it. What worries me is that they'll do a dodgy repair job just so it comes under the cost of writing it off. If they don't write it off I think I'll get another quote or an independant assessment. If a car gets written off does the insurance company have to pay out the "Agreed Value" or do they decide themselves what it's worth? When I bought it they wouldn't let me insure it for what I paid for it, apparently that price was "Below Market Value" (yeah, by like $100, LOL).

Cheers for all the well wishes guys, I'm feeling fine. Looks like I'll be driving a little Suzuki Jimny for the next couple of weeks, woohoo!!! Awesome little car, but I'd say it'll be getting the Grampa treatment for a while until I get some confidence back.
Old 20-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #33
Burley
CRE.87V

i was like an hour to early for ur acco...what town u live at mate?? im in maitland

my xr6 nearly got written off.....mate smashed it....done 2500 damage to kit and 2x rims....didnt look bad...then it had 7000 worth of suspension damage...then diff went.....another 500....im slowly working out the small problems now so hoping will be ok in few months time?
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #34
XR6Stu

Smash Repairers dont make anything from a write off. Looking at the photo, There is rad support damamge, perhaps LH Skirt damage, and possibly damage to the chassis rail end. But In all honesty, I would be surprised if it is a write off. My car was almost as bad and was repaired, and I fixed an AU that was hit fair bit harder across the entire front end in October last year.

And I gotta be honest with you... That aint gonna buff out. Great to hear you got out of it safely tho. Best of luck with it all. Take care.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #35
Gaz
Got Ghia?

just a question.

i know if your at fault, and your insurance company pays you out, they take the car. i can understand that.

but i rekon if another person hits you, their insurance company is paying for the damage, if the car is written off i personally think you should get the pay out and be able to keep your car.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #36
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burley
i was like an hour to early for ur acco...what town u live at mate?? im in maitland
Yeah mate, I'm out Maitland way as well, not in Maitland but close by. Traffic was real bad before the Hexham bridge, we were starting to back up close to the Tarro overpass, but by the time we were on the Newcastle side of the bridge we started moving again fairly steadily (because we were also passed those two sets of lights next to the Oak/Hungry Jacks which tend to hold up traffic when it's busy) but these two Semis just decided not to move like the rest of the traffic did. Never mind.

No news yet, will wait and see what happens. Thanks for the comments guys, nice to have some support and a bit of conversation. Cheers!
Old 20-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #37
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
just a question.

i know if your at fault, and your insurance company pays you out, they take the car. i can understand that.

but i rekon if another person hits you, their insurance company is paying for the damage, if the car is written off i personally think you should get the pay out and be able to keep your car.
The insurance company keeps the car so they can sell it off to re-coup some of their costs. But I agree with you! You should be able to keep your car! :
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #38
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Looks nasty and given that it's an AU era car it may get written off. I go through the same road but at 5.35am and its busy then.

Back many moons ago, I saw a truck heading east and turning where you said you were turning(Old Maitland Rd) but turning left from the middle lane as his load was very wide. A fella in his VL in the far left lane(fast lane-anyone who knows this location will know what I'm saying) comes screaming around the corner and drives under the trailer of the semi. He commodore's roof was gone and the driver dead. Not doubt lost his head. The main thing is that you're safe and cars can be replaced.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #39
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck with the repaire, well at least the insurance, no body injured could be worse.

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #40
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Back many moons ago, I saw a truck heading east and turning where you said you were turning(Old Maitland Rd) but turning left from the middle lane as his load was very wide. A fella in his VL in the far left lane(fast lane-anyone who knows this location will know what I'm saying) comes screaming around the corner and drives under the trailer of the semi. He commodore's roof was gone and the driver dead.
That's a nasty story, but you're right about the 'fast lane' thing, that left hand lane is bad news (as my accident proves) - won't be using it anymore unless I'm turning left.

Just as an update, had a phone call from the Smash Repairer late last week and it looks like she's going to be written off, just waiting for the official report from the Insurance Company and then that's it, she'll probably be auctioned off somewhere or sold to a wreckers, I guess that's what they do with cars like this. Such a shame, from the B-pillar back it was in perfect nick, even the interior was immaculate (well, apart from the airbags of course, hehe).

She really looked after the Missus and myself over Christmas: We took her from Maitland to Port Augusta via Cobar and Broken Hill. She then went down to Adelaide and out to Victor Harbour, Goolwa and Mount Barker for a day trip. We came home via Robe, Penola, then did the Great Ocean Road (she handled it like a dream) and came home via Geelong, Melbourne, Wodonga, Gundagai, Sydney and back into Maitland. She will be missed, even though I only had her for 7 months. She had just under 103,000kms on the clock when I saw her for the last time. R.I.P.
Old 27-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #41
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
The insurance company keeps the car so they can sell it off to re-coup some of their costs. But I agree with you! You should be able to keep your car! :
it depends on the insurance company - shannons give salvage rights automatically i believe, or very low additional premium anyway - can't quite remember whether i paid extra for it but don't think i did. i understand it means if its written off they pay it out and give you the car back as well...
A lot of insurers would have that option if you ask...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #42
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
I had a cheapo Mazda van written off when a bus slammed up the rear. I argued the value with the assessor, and during the conversation, I asked him what my car was worth. His exact words were: "Your car's not worth anything mate!"
My response: "Well then, you won't be charging me for the wreck then, will you!"
A very sheepish assessor agreed and I got the payout amount, plus my wreck!