Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Emergency lane

Just wondering if/when we are allowed to drive in the emergency lane on the freeway. How much of an emergency does it have to be to be justified? I wasn't able to find any info on this but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or in the right places :. Cheers.

XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
NA XR6
!!

It is against the law to drive in an emergency lane
Unless you are an emergency vehicle (police , fire , ambulance)
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Chrispy

Are you referring to driving along at 20km/h in the lane as the traffic goes past, because you have a busted gearbox, or screaming along past the stopped traffic because your wife is giving birth?

Chrispy
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
nobbystang

Isn't it just an emergency stopping lane????

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
That is my understanding.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

They may have a lane in WA on the freeway for emergancie vehicle only.

We got them in Melbourne on the Tullamarine for buses, taxis that can only be used by those vehicles during certain periods of the day.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Are you referring to driving along at 20km/h in the lane as the traffic goes past, because you have a busted gearbox, or screaming along past the stopped traffic because your wife is giving birth?

Chrispy
I meant using it as an additional lane when there is a traffic jam because of an emergency. Would it still be illegal in such circumstances? i.e. wife giving birth, diarrhoea etc.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes that's correct. That's what I meant.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Id have to agree with NA XR6. Illegal unless you an emergency vehicle (Police, Fire, Ambulance). Apart from that its an emergency stopping lane for if you get a flat etc. I hate people who use it as a lane to get around traffic jams!

There is a bad part of the Monash freeway (carpark) I travel each day that gets clogged and people use the emergancy lane because they want to go up the next off ramp. Quite often the cops are there catching people. Then I have to laugh.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

However if it is a gueine emergency then i ould see no problem with it, as long as you are doing so in a safe manner. If you having to do so in an un-safe manner wouldn't you just call the emergency services anyway and let them handle the sitiuation. Otherwise it isn't warranted!
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

In Vic it is for emergency use only.

Aparently motorbikes are allowed (end sarcasm)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.Tuddy
However if it is a gueine emergency then i ould see no problem with it, as long as you are doing so in a safe manner. If you having to do so in an un-safe manner wouldn't you just call the emergency services anyway and let them handle the sitiuation. Otherwise it isn't warranted!
WORLDWIDE: NOT to be used just to get ahead.
A similar scenario plays when a direction of freeway/motorway traffic is stopped. Here, you MAY NOT do a U-Turn contrary to a sign, OR by barging through the median scrub. Penalty applies, BIG penalty if you action involves trauma through negligence. POLICE will adjust traffic flow when required to clear a road, delays in this instance are a fact of life. Where their is death or potential of it, police will generally NOT allow traffic to proceed ahead.

IF your going to use it under an emergency, birth etc, proceed with your left indicator on, OR with hazard warning lights (ARR221) and drive at a very slow speed 20 - 50km/h maximum. Stop at a phone booth or emergency service personnel up ahead, or to the end.

OTHERWISE ONLY be used for breakdowns, or to move vehicles to the side following a crash.

The ARR on the matter reflects the UN Convention on Road Traffic, Road Signs and Signals.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #13
Fryday

I'm getting tired of watching people pass in the "emergency lane" in Perth. Clearly they think they more important than everyone else's and their time is worth more then ours. In the last 6 months I've seen people in everything from an SS to a small truck do it.

I have also seen a bloke in a VS ute clean up an EL in the emergency lane with both occupants of the ute taken to hospital and the driver of the EL the luckiest man alive after diving for safety and just escaping being crushed.

IMO, they should be given 12 months to have a think about their driving attitude before being allowed back behind the wheel to risk anyone elses life. If they're doing crazy things like this, what else are they doing??
Fryday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 AM   #14
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I saw an episode of Motorway Patrol from NZ recently where some crazy Asian dude got pulled over by a patrolman because he was driving up the emergency lane in his toy truck to get around the traffic. He went right off and abused the cop and then proceeded to tell the cop that he was going to continue doing it in future. Stupid git, I hope he drives into a parked truck or something. Might teach him not to drive up there.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
coupdy do

Keep out thats my traffic jam lane :laugh:
Lately trucks try and block me out so i just drive around them off road style.
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
coupdy do

Which part of the road don't we pay for? its ok for Olympic games cars to drive down em why are they safer than me?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdy do
Which part of the road don't we pay for? its ok for Olympic games cars to drive down em why are they safer than me?

Dude the Olympics were 7 years ago! (What Olympics games cars are you talking about)? :
Best be getting that Delorean of yours fixed and come back to the future!
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdy do
Lately trucks try and block me out so i just drive around them off road style.
Here in NSW and the Hornsby local court recently we had a chap who did similar in the median of the F3 at Berowra, except he also used the emergency lane to continue same manner.

Serious charges, loss of license, 3 month goal and a small fine in the order a few hundred dollars, according the the Central Coast Express Advocate.

These events do happen often enough.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See the WA Road traffic Code 2000 here http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/statutes/swans.nsf (choose A-Z Browse regulations by Section) or here http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w...eg/rtc2000113/
Quote:
150. Stopping in an emergency stopping lane
The driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall not stop in a lane to which an emergency stopping lane only sign applies, unless:

(a) the condition of the driver, a passenger or the driver's vehicle, or any other factor, makes it necessary or desirable for the driver to stop in the emergency stopping lane in the interests of safety, and the driver stops for no longer than is necessary in the circumstances; or

(b) the driver's vehicle is permitted to stop in the emergency stopping lane under these regulations.

Modified penalty: 1 PU Emergency stopping lane only sign

76. Emergency stopping lane only signs
The driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall not drive in a lane to which an emergency stopping lane only sign applies unless the driver needs to drive in the emergency stopping lane to avoid a collision, to stop in the lane in accordance with regulation 150, or because the driver's vehicle is disabled.

Points: 2 Modified penalty: 3 PU Emergency stopping lane only sign

188. Using hazard warning lights

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle fitted with hazard warning lights shall not use the hazard warning lights, or allow them to be used, unless:

(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians;

(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians;

(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency stopping lane;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is not an authorised version. The only authorised version is the hardcopy (printed) version published under authority of the Government Printer, available from the State Law Publisher, 10 William St Perth W.A. 6000.

Last edited by aussiblue; 01-03-2007 at 11:03 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #20
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid10
Dude the Olympics were 7 years ago! (What Olympics games cars are you talking about)? :
Best be getting that Delorean of yours fixed and come back to the future!
Ok the Friken Commonwealth games smart **** why don't you go back to Enzed oh thats right its a **** hole :
Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

hahaha coupdy you crack me up.. :
Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Enzed? Isn't that a flexible hose company?? used: