Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #61
Peter T

Stamp duty is a federal govt thing , and when you buy a car you only pay ONE stamp duty , doesn't matter which state or where you take it,!! it is the governments little bite of your new purchase, and it is only a once amount, whereever you are in Australia.
The various traffic authorities are only the collection point for the federal govt. !!
Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #62
Peter T

If the dealer collected the stamp duty amount from you in Victoria, then you should not have paid it again in Canberra.
because you already owned the car as far as the ACT authorities were concerned, you should have only paid for the actual registration.
The same as if you had just moved there from any other state.
Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #63
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T
Stamp duty is a federal govt thing , and when you buy a car you only pay ONE stamp duty , doesn't matter which state or where you take it,!! it is the governments little bite of your new purchase, and it is only a once amount, whereever you are in Australia.
The various traffic authorities are only the collection point for the federal govt. !!
If you're referring to this I meant to say Transfer fees... my stuffup, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
AFTER you had paid the Vic stamp duty!! How hard is it to understand this? If the dealer TRANSFERRED the OWNERSHIP to you you would HAVE TO PAY VIC STAMP DUTY no matter where you live.
As for the stamp duty thing, not quite Federal....It varies from state to state.
These people explain it quite well... http://www.privatefleet.com.au/index...D=225&branch=7

Last edited by GasoLane; 02-03-2007 at 05:32 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #64
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

GasOLane and paulie0735 have dealt with this matter in full and they are entirely correct. There is nothing further to say.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #65
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Mate, you don't need to talk to me about frustration!!

All I'm hearing about is paying money to the Vic government. THAT DOESN"T HAPPEN if you're from interstate. Ring Vicroads and ask that specific question yourself.

I stand by what I said earlier - if anyone can show me anything that says an interstate buyer has to pay transfer fees/stamp duty to the Vic government I'll eat humble pie and apologise, but until then I will maintain that what the dealer told me was a lie and their conduct was deceptive
A guy at work went to Melbourne and bought his 2nd hand Porsche and when he got back to Canberra he transferred the car. It cost him 12 months rego and he had to pay stamp duty in the ACT. Can't remember the figure, but what is the stamp duty and luxury car tax on $115,000. He wasn't smiling when he came back. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post