Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Default UniChip - Pros and Cons ....

Well , I Might be recieving a unichip for my car soon , and i know all the costs that will be incurred of the Install and Retune ,

Just Wanting to Know , what sort of Gains im up for , im not one whos up for saying that a Unichip will give me 20 kilowats , but 3-4 would be alright

my car is a Falcon 4.0 with 2.5" Exhaust and CAI System , Plus Extractors to be Fitted ... Currently Sitting on 119.8 before CAI , with the Exhaust

Cheers in Advance
Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
JoesAu

id say around 10-12rwkw
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

save the money and put it towards an edit. from my experience Unicraps are, well they're called Unicraps for a reason!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

if there so crap , why is whooshas car so quick with only that and an Airbox ?

Dont Care if there crap , im after FACTS not FICTION

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
save the money and put it towards an edit. from my experience Unicraps are, well they're called Unicraps for a reason!
Not always, if tuned properly and your car isn't too majorly modded they can be good. My XR was fine with the Unichip before the stroker and Whoosha has had great results from his.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You obviosuly never followed Austins rant #4 million and something :

Save you money and get an edit. I think with Unichip, it's one tune only. With the edit it's 3 tunes. Seems more logical to me.

Just because someone elses car works well with a unichip, doesn't automatically make it right for your car. Yours is a 6 and his is an 8. Different ballgame (Correct me if I'm wrong on engine configs )
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Depends on application

Stock with a air filter, unichip would be my preference, anything else I would look at the potential of an edit
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Depends on application

Stock with a air filter, unichip would be my preference, anything else I would look at the potential of an edit
Don't say that, it's mine that he's going to buy.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I have heard, but I really don't know (so please don't judge based on this) that the factory computer will relearn over a period of time, and you have to retune the unichip to suit every year or 2. It sounds a bit like crap to me, but I'm really not sure.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I have heard, but I really don't know (so please don't judge based on this) that the factory computer will relearn over a period of time, and you have to retune the unichip to suit every year or 2. It sounds a bit like crap to me, but I'm really not sure.
not crap at all, in fact thats exactly what happened to my car.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unichips are great,but they can only piggy back what the ecu can do.
if you want to go big cam and stallie , shift points blah blah.go the edit.

on a mildly modded i6 they work a treat ,all this crap about relearing is bs.when you get it fitted and tuned get it tuned on 95 and run 98 . they are very sensitive to what fuel it was tuned at and to what you susposeddly buy at the pump.i had heaps of dramas with mine (ALL FUEL RELATED)ever since i had it tuned to 98 .it pinged on every big name brand unless i used my local servo,to wich it was tuned in the first place.i tested the theory at shell ,bp ,freedom the car would ping but ounce i added a bit of nulon it ran fine.

my 2 cents
Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
not crap at all, in fact thats exactly what happened to my car.
Very interesting! I potentially have one coming my way, and was thinking of keeping it for the AU. From the sounds of things it should be ok with limited mods (only has an exhaust, filter & snorkel, with extractors to come) and that's all that will ever be done to it.

If I have to retune though, sounds like a PITA to me!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Very interesting! I potentially have one coming my way, and was thinking of keeping it for the AU. From the sounds of things it should be ok with limited mods (only has an exhaust, filter & snorkel, with extractors to come) and that's all that will ever be done to it.

If I have to retune though, sounds like a PITA to me!
As Minge said, if you're only going basic stuff, I guess it would be ok. For my application, and because I intend to do more mods (and bigger stuff), the edit is the go.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

When you guys refer to an "edit" do you mean the CAPA flash thingummy?
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
When you guys refer to an "edit" do you mean the CAPA flash thingummy?
Correct SCT edit flash box sold by Capa .

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #16
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Daniel,
Simple, Your car being and Auto you should not go past the Edit.

I have had both unichip and edit.
(By the way dont let Russell rip u off I have a unichip you can buy....lol)
Even though your car has only limited mods you will see a bigger gain from the edit.
Knowing how you drive (Zero to speed limit as fast as pos, Just like me) :eclipsee_ , You will see bigger gains from the edit due to the tunning of the Auto.
If your car were a manual I would say go with the Unichip but it isnt so I say Edit all the way....

Kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT