Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
PETESEAXR6

Default AU console lights.

My lights on the console where your auto shift is (example 123DPRN) has gone out was wondering if anyone can tell me how to put a new one in or fix it and what light bulb it takes?

PETESEAXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

you need to take out your centre console to replace it, to do this:

unscrew your auto shifter (theres a single grub screw holding it on)
4 bolts that hold the console down - 2 in the cup holders underneath the rubber pad, 2 in the pocket area under the radio (again remove the rubber pad and youll see them)
then 1 bolt that goes into the floor right next to your seat rails, you'll need to move the seats all the way forward to get to them.

once youve undone the bolts, slide the console out by pulling it towards the back of the car, then up. you'll then be able to access the bulb you need to replace, unscrew it from the fascia (youll see what i mean) and replace the bulb.

5 watt wedge bulb is the one you need. :
Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Just wondering if there is a way to make the numbers show in different colours (blue perhaps).

i realise changing globe colour is an option but is that all? when i had a look there is white backing behind the numbers, can that be changed and use a clear bulb?? ideas people. i did search (forums) but found nuttin.

Also, got my Paccies in yesterday!! woo hoo. gives the exhaust a better sound and cleared a lotta the drone up IMO.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Just wondering if there is a way to make the numbers show in different colours (blue perhaps).

i realise changing globe colour is an option but is that all? when i had a look there is white backing behind the numbers, can that be changed and use a clear bulb?? ideas people. i did search (forums) but found nuttin.

Also, got my Paccies in yesterday!! woo hoo. gives the exhaust a better sound and cleared a lotta the drone up IMO.
I have a blue and a red LED in mine, with a switch alternating between the two - mostly I use blue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

we have LED's that slot into the bulb holders at work, red, blue green and white. If I were to change mine I would go blue to match my cluster.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
sheppy

Not to hijack, but the bulbs behind my A/C controls etc (above the radio) have burnt out. How do I get to them?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
we have LED's that slot into the bulb holders at work, red, blue green and white. If I were to change mine I would go blue to match my cluster.
This is what I have been meaning to do ... as the globe under shifter died ages ago. At least I know where the gear are ... the wife freaked out in the dark doing a 3-point turn in the ute the other night ... she looked down and saw nothing but darkness ... LOL.

So I think it is time to get a replacement globe for mine.

Bit off-topic ... I found the Pacies smoothed out the exhaust note a bit ... and made idle less lumpy ... drone on the highway has reduced slightly too.

Even more off-topic ... interior might be getting going over with cow. :
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

there are acutally 6 bolts on the console. 2 more down near the rear of the drivers/passenger seat on the floor.

i have a blue LED in mine :

Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah henri I said they were there....

Im tossing up switching some stuff over to blue LED, to match the T3 cluster I have. Just dont want to have everything else super blue and not be a good match. And the problem is, the A/C controls would still be white, so it'd look weird.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy
Not to hijack, but the bulbs behind my A/C controls etc (above the radio) have burnt out. How do I get to them?
Got to take the radio out then remove the centre fascia, after that I have no idea as Ive never done it. Be very interested to see what you find though in terms of bulbs etc.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Yeah henri I said they were there....

Im tossing up switching some stuff over to blue LED, to match the T3 cluster I have. Just dont want to have everything else super blue and not be a good match. And the problem is, the A/C controls would still be white, so it'd look weird.
woops i didnt read your post properly. my bad.

it looks ok, with the blues... but the cluster is a really washed out blue compared to any other LED blues there are... but because im too lazy to get my speedo recal'd/reprogrammed im just gonna put the original fascia back in, and everything will match even less :P

talk to XR6-VCT-2000 he converted pretty much EVERYTHING to LED's so he should be able to help you if you want to swap everything over.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
woops i didnt read your post properly. my bad.

it looks ok, with the blues... but the cluster is a really washed out blue compared to any other LED blues there are... but because im too lazy to get my speedo recal'd/reprogrammed im just gonna put the original fascia back in, and everything will match even less :P

talk to XR6-VCT-2000 he converted pretty much EVERYTHING to LED's so he should be able to help you if you want to swap everything over.
yeah thats what i want to avoid, the cluster is a genuine one so im not going to take it apart - everything has to match it. i'll grab some blue LEDs and drop them in, see how it looks. Daytime vision might also be an issue, I want to be able to see them in the day too, not just at night.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
yeah thats what i want to avoid, the cluster is a genuine one so im not going to take it apart - everything has to match it. i'll grab some blue LEDs and drop them in, see how it looks. Daytime vision might also be an issue, I want to be able to see them in the day too, not just at night.
daytime vision, not so good. but you cant normally see the white lights in the daytime as well...

if you are lucky you may be able to trace down some pale blue LED's, but otherwise, everything will be pretty damn blue.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

blue LEDs and possibly whack some sleeves over them, I can play round with it a bit.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
blue LEDs and possibly whack some sleeves over them, I can play round with it a bit.
actually, white LED's with blue sleeves. that would probably work a treat.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
there are acutally 6 bolts on the console. 2 more down near the rear of the drivers/passenger seat on the floor.

i have a blue LED in mine :

This is exactly how i want mine to look as i recently installed the chrome gear surround and i think blue would compliment it perfectly. Is LED the only way to get it to look this good or will a blue globe suffice?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yep i got led's all around in my car. You could use a blue bulb, but the idea of using the led's is they use less power and the life span of an led is more than ten fold a normal bulb (less chance of it blowing and having to change it).

By the way , if u have a xr with the blue dash facia , it's definatly worth trying the white led's ! , it comes up a treat. The blue dash facia makes the light look blue anyway, but the needles also light up brightly too (unlike with using blue led's in the dash). The effect is a 'slighly' ligher blue than the blue led's, but it's not a washed out blue ! , and it actualy looks nice and breaks up the solid blue all over the place.

I found i only needed 1500msd white led's for the dash , any brighter and it started to look to light blue and too bright, also rubbing the surfaces of the led's over with some sandpaper to difuse the surfaces cleared all hotspots on the dash np, and more than 1500msd and the hotspots were unremovable too.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #18
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, you're doing it the hard way. You can pull the surround out without removing the whole centre console... It's clipped in, you just pull it out.

Also, I used a spare blue parker bulb in mine, looks indentical to HLC's one....
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I thought it was clipped in from underneath .... so there's really no way of getting it out easily as the shifter stalk is still there.

I had to take it all out to install the chrome shifter surround
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #20
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, it clips in underneath to the actual gear stick section. The stalk is in 2 parts, one half if connect to the gearbox, the other half comes off then the gear knob...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #21
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Lights Look Good Henri , BLUUUUUE

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #22
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

nah the outside of my shifter surround was clipped into the other half and so to replace you had to remove the entire surround henceforth needing to remove the centre console.

i'l gonna go right out here and say there is no way my surround would be removable without moving the centre console. it wouldn't fit through the hole. there i said it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
nah the outside of my shifter surround was clipped into the other half and so to replace you had to remove the entire surround henceforth needing to remove the centre console.

i'l gonna go right out here and say there is no way my surround would be removable without moving the centre console. it wouldn't fit through the hole. there i said it.
I agree, impossible to do it without removing the console.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:

Don't you just hate when it doesn't fit in the hole. :hihi:
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #25
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

it's only ever happened once, Lafanda i think her name was. She had the most beautiful Adams Apple : :
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

LMAO ... Gold.

OK ... back on topic ... went to Autobarn to get the Blue LEDs ... get hoem to install them ... they were RED ... and looked crap when I installed them (after pulling the centre console out (so left it out).

Went back to another Autobarn that was closer to home (as I picked the originial LEDs up on the way home in another suburb.).

Got them replaced with White LEDs as Blue was all out ... installed the white LED ... and would you believe ... it has the light blue glow through the PRND lettering ... so it is not stark white.

Not bad ... better than I expected and I think i prefer it than having a darker blue shine through.
This user likes this post: