Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
ALEXR8
Banned

Default T-series Brakes On Au1

I came across a pair of front grey twin piston t-series tickford calipers and was wondering if these fit an au series one?

ALEXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should I think.
On another note, and seriously, if you decide not to buy them, PLEAASE give me the details as I will certainly buy them.
Cheers, Matt.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they do fit as the AU pads sit on the upright and generally 2 piston calipers have the pads mounted in the caliper, they need to be fitted to an AUII style upright.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
ALEXR8
Banned

I thought they would fit due to the fact the series one TE50 and TL50 had these brakes. Does anyone know?
ALEXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try asking au^dude, he's in the process of doing the same thing.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXR8
I thought they would fit due to the fact the series one TE50 and TL50 had these brakes. Does anyone know?
AU1 had a unique upright for T-Series, one of the guys at work looked at buying a crashed AU1 T-series which needed a new l/h upright, he checked for availiability from Ford, it was the only thing obsolete out of everything that needed replacing, this put the brakes on him buying it.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look this what I'm gonna do. I have the calipers and stub axles. Just need to get some 330mm Disc and i will install them on my car. They will sit at the back like the Standard Au1 do.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the stub axle exactly? Is that the hub, or are you referring to the upright? Do you have the upright au^dude? Cheers.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the upright.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #10
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude
Look this what I'm gonna do. I have the calipers and stub axles. Just need to get some 330mm Disc and i will install them on my car. They will sit at the back like the Standard Au1 do.
So you are saying the stub axle is different for the Tickford calipers. I thought the stubs were all the same for Ser 1. There are others on here that have put these on and I can't recall them saying they had to change the stub axle. Thought this was only if you wanted to put on Ser 2/3 and later calipers.
Old 13-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
What is the stub axle exactly? Is that the hub, or are you referring to the upright? Do you have the upright au^dude? Cheers.
Stub axle is the thing the hub goes on. It is attached to the upright.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

This may be a stupid question, but what is the "upright" technically called. Is there a proper name for it or is that actually it ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
xrr-88d

Thumbs up

Hey fellas,put a set of brembo 4spotters and 338mm rotors on my TS50 rep,(AU1 XR8) last week.

you will need lower controll arms,uprights with stub axels-with hubs,sway bar and all nuts and bolts.make sure the sway bar you get is of the same type of motor that you have fitted.I6 and V8 are different.I had this problem.FTG sell complete kits to suit.

All of these parts were available from AU2-BA and maybee even BF.my gear came of a BA mk2 and bolted up no dramas exept for the sway bar.difference in braking ability and consistency between au1 and brembos or even t series is like apples to oranges.good luck.
xrr-88d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #14
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing I can think of that the stub axle is attached to is the tie rod end of the steering and the upper and lower control arms. Mabye this is what they call an upright?
With all the drama in fitting Brembos or anything else from AU2 upwards might be cheaper and less work to fit some A P Racing as they have a setup for AU1's.
There are not too many choices for us Ser1 owners!
Old 13-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno about AP Racing being a cheaper option, I haven't seen any of their kits for less than $2k. If I'm wrong please correct me, as I'm still on the hunt for the best upgrade package for sub $1k.
Old 13-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
EvilChief
Boost Addict

do a serach i did that conversion 4 years ago and did a write up
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dunno about AP Racing being a cheaper option, I haven't seen any of their kits for less than $2k. If I'm wrong please correct me, as I'm still on the hunt for the best upgrade package for sub $1k.
Going by the prices quoted on other threads, you are looking at 1K to swap Ser1 front end to Ser2/BA. Then looking at approx $2600 for PBR upgrade, let alone Brembos unless you just use standard calipers from SER2/BA (that you get in the 1K price). It would be so much easier if they brought out an upgrade kit for the Ser1.
Remember seeing a pic of those 300KW AU's from W.A. (I think), both the 2 door & 4 door had Brembos fitted to the rear of the front wheel, but apparently Brembo do not make a bracket for Ser1,so how did they fit them?
Old 13-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can do the upgrade to standard BA front brake setup for under $500 if I do the labour myself.
Old 14-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #19
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tickford rotors are 329mm. So don't go getting a 330mm, or it might not fit.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I can do the upgrade to standard BA front brake setup for under $500 if I do the labour myself.
Me too, nearly. Cost of parts to my door is $520, plus the $60 i paid for a second hand set of BA XR (might as well be XT though) brakes. The size of the disc doen't matter too much, it is the fact that the calliper is twice the size, and the pad is twice the size that will give increased braking ability over series one.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 14-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Me too, nearly. Cost of parts to my door is $520, plus the $60 i paid for a second hand set of BA XR (might as well be XT though) brakes. The size of the disc doen't matter too much, it is the fact that the calliper is twice the size, and the pad is twice the size that will give increased braking ability over series one.
Are you fitting BA brakes to a modified AU1 upright or an AU2 upright?
Old 14-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Are you fitting BA brakes to a modified AU1 upright or an AU2 upright?
The $500 odd is for AU2 uprights, stub axle, sway bar including links and mounts, and freight.

Old 14-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #23
EvilChief
Boost Addict

its not legally possible to modify the AU 1 upright to suit AU2/3 & BA setups, as they are a cast 1 piece and have no provisions for brackets or bolt hohles, let alone cast brackets facing frontwards like AU2/3 BA do.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #24
xrr-88d

Thumbs up

You cant physically fit a larger than factory rotor on an AU1 upright (it is the part that the steering tie rod bolts to,joins the upper and lower control arms and holds your hub,complete with wheel bearing and wheel studs.

Look at it this way,AU1,no one really deals with the front brakes on these because they were poverty pak taxi brakes.ford were stupid to even fit them to the i6 let alone their flagship "performance model" xr8.

If you swap to AU2 > you have more aftermarket support for different compound of pads,rotors,swaybars from various manufactures,and you have the option to fit up to 380mm rotors under 20" rims...you can put on the two piston factory calipers with factory rottors or up to the fpv spec 6 piston brembos.How fast do you want to go,how effectivly want to stop it.I know the gut renching felling of grabbing the brakes deep into a corner after two or three hard applications with the chassis fully loaded up,tyres on the edge of their limit,and knowing uv only got compression braking helping to wash of some speed....Not very nice at all....1st thing,number 1 thing if your going to drive hard,or tow some monstrosity,make sure you know you can pull it up.you will never look back and will be quicker for it.just my 2 cents
Old 14-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #25
xrr-88d

Thumbs up

Oh yeah,call Marin at fordpro smithfield sydney.you will be quite suprised as they quote half the price of ftg for the stub axes,control arms etc...cheers fellas
Old 16-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #26
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
its not legally possible to modify the AU 1 upright to suit AU2/3 & BA setups, as they are a cast 1 piece and have no provisions for brackets or bolt hohles, let alone cast brackets facing frontwards like AU2/3 BA do.
I figured that but sometimes you come across some very creative "developments", and JC appears to be someone willing to give many thing a try.