Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
adz3448
Starter Motor

Default Camshaft

Hey guys,

At present I have just got a cam put in to my series1 AU Falcon, what speed can i expect to get? KW? It has a full 2.5inch exhaust with extractors, cold-air intake and shift kit.

adz3448 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

How long is a piece of string?
What sort of cam?
What model Falcon/Futura/Fairmont?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

In real terms...seriously. If you go a big cam you will gain a fatter torque figure but it wont feel much more that standard. If the cam is really bigger then a proper edit tune will bring the best out in it. Real life comparison,,my DEV 4 Jim Mock cam. Idled ok pulled quite well as far as torque went. Its fuel economy was great. It pulled a 14.7 1/4 mile. This is an excellent setup.To give you an idea..it pulled 131 rwkws at autotech dyno and a friend of mine pulled 152 rwkws same day.He ran 14.5 and I ran a 14.8. The dyno figures sound more impressive that they really are.

I have always said it from the beggining peak power on a dyno means jack .The real performer that throws you back in the seat is the power curve and torque. The more bigger your power curve and torque before peak power the faster the car will be. I believe that average power is far more important than the final figure. What you will get is anyones guess.

Stick to one dyno for consistent results so improvements can be seen.My wagon has 166 rwkws from Croydon dyno.I feel that the car will only pull a 14.5 1/4 mile. I have over the years never attained more than 147 on that dyno so my last improvements definately worked. In saying that I believe that at autotech dyno I will put out 140 to 155 rwkws next dyno day. In blacktown I will pull 128 rwkws on a different dyno. So for heavens sake stick to one dyno for notable differrences.

The one true dyno is the drag strip.No matter how many killowatts a sheet shows you this is the truth about how the car performs. Get to the track.

My tuner is very humble and says the truth to me.."the proof is in the eating"

hope this helps a bit.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Cooper69S

for another example of what Stav is talking about, I did a cam upgrade in my AU2 V8 - popular choice Crane 2030 plus roller rockers, plus changed the almost stock exhaust (just had extractors and changed muffler) to a 2.5" through enlarged cats into a single 3" mandrel system and changed to dedicated lpg injection. anyway power went from a peak of 136rwkw to 162rwkw. theres a big difference in driving with a massive difference over 4500rpm (the old cam just died above that).
anyway the extra power on the dyno only translated to a 0.3s improvement on the track. 15.03 @ 92mph before. 14.73 @ 95mph after. i must admit it did expect more but after comparing with the others in the the timeslip database it seems that time is about right for that amount of power with standard auto and diff gears.
so the point is don't expect small to medium gains on the dyno to make a huge difference in real world performance applications (eg on the track) although it will probably feel a lot better on the street.
have a look through the timeslip database and see what other people with similar car + mods are achieving. something i noticed was the majority of cars with lowish power doing quickish times had mods like slicks, high-stalls, low-geared diffs etc.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
for another example of what Stav is talking about, I did a cam upgrade in my AU2 V8 - popular choice Crane 2030 plus roller rockers, plus changed the almost stock exhaust (just had extractors and changed muffler) to a 2.5" through enlarged cats into a single 3" mandrel system and changed to dedicated lpg injection. anyway power went from a peak of 136rwkw to 162rwkw. theres a big difference in driving with a massive difference over 4500rpm (the old cam just died above that).
anyway the extra power on the dyno only translated to a 0.3s improvement on the track. 15.03 @ 92mph before. 14.73 @ 95mph after. i must admit it did expect more but after comparing with the others in the the timeslip database it seems that time is about right for that amount of power with standard auto and diff gears.
so the point is don't expect small to medium gains on the dyno to make a huge difference in real world performance applications (eg on the track) although it will probably feel a lot better on the street.
have a look through the timeslip database and see what other people with similar car + mods are achieving. something i noticed was the majority of cars with lowish power doing quickish times had mods like slicks, high-stalls, low-geared diffs etc.
This is amazing.I think you are on the money here mate. An increase of 30 rwkws would equate to .3 of a second down the 1/4 mile.I totally agree.It sounds more exciting to say the bigger number thats all.In some cases cars with 200 rwkws dont seem to live up to the excitement for the bragging of 200 rwkws!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post