Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
markxr6t

Default AU XR8 exhaust note questions

Hi all

Just got a totally stock AU2 XR8 220kw. Whilst I love the car, it only sounds like a V8 at high revs and I'd like an all-round better exhaust note. I don't care about extra power (I'm between XR6 Turbos) - I just want a better V8 note at idle and through the rev range.

Of course, every exhaust shop gives me a different answer and most recommend a full new system. Given that it already has a twin 2.25 system from the factory with twin centre mufflers and 1 rear resonator, I'd love to know your opinions on how each of the following will effect the exhaust note:

1. Removing the rear resonator and replacing with straight through pipes?
2. Removing the centre mufflers and replacing with high flow mufflers or hot dogs?
3. Removing centre mufflers and replacing with straight through pipes?
4. Single 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 straight through muffler?
5. Twin 2.5 with 2 straight through mufflers?

I'd love opinions from anyone who has done any of the above to a Windsor, particularly 1,2 and 3.

Thanks

Mark

markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
FRDTUF
FORD TOUGH

Remove the rear resonator & replace with straight through pipes... fit some pacemaker headers... as i have done to mine, sounds awsome out:
FRDTUF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
BJ TE50

I replaced the centre mufflers with hotdogs and left the resonator just as a cheap option until i can afford a proper full system. It sounds awesome and its not rediculously loud like i thought it would be.

It feels like i've lost some low down power though so i wasnt too happy with that
BJ TE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Removing the rear resonator and replacing with straight pipe should give you the sound you are looking for. Extractors actually don't do much for the sound - sound is controlled by mufflers, of which a resonator is just a specific type.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As JC said removal of the rear res. will give it a little more of a burbble.. if you want a little more just change the center mufflers to hiflo sports which is all I have done to mine .. thats the cheapest option

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
markxr6t

Thanks for your replies - most informative and better than the standard exhaust shop answer!

This is a long shot, but does anyone know the difference in sound between replacing centre mufflers with straight pipes and rear resonator with straight pipes? Is one more or less likely to drone, for example?

Mark
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have replaced the rear resornator with straight through pipes and put straight thru mufflers on and it sounds very good without any drone at 100ks and only cost me about $300 if I remember corectly. Its on a 220 to.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxr6t
Thanks for your replies - most informative and better than the standard exhaust shop answer!

This is a long shot, but does anyone know the difference in sound between replacing centre mufflers with straight pipes and rear resonator with straight pipes? Is one more or less likely to drone, for example?

Mark
I can't answer that question directly, but I can tell you that a single 3" system with one smallish muffler sounds evil! And droney.

I have an MP3 soundfile of the centre section of a stock system (ie without the rear resonator section joined up), which I am happy to send to you via email - just send me an email at JC@fordforums.com.au, and include "XR8 MP3" in the subject so I know it's not spam. It will give you a good idea of what yours might sound like with resonators deleted and replaced with pipes.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
nitroman
nitroman

When I got my car it had the stock twin system with mufflers removed. It was loud but had a resonant dodgy B&S ute exhaust thong clapping sound. I got rid of it and replaced it with a single 2,1/2 inch single with straight through muffler and a hot dog resonator at the rear. The power increased noticeably, it sounds great when youre up it and quiet when cruising. When i picked up the car from the car from the exhaust shop I checked out the stock system and it had more bends than monaco and was more restrictive than Fred Nile! The single is lighter, makes more power and is cheaper.
Do it and you'll love :voldar02: it!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

I removed the centre boxes, and put in straight thru pipe. Everyone thats heard my car thinks it sounds mean and there's nothing to it. It legal when you drive normally, but if you put the boot in, ppl know its a V8 lol.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

twin 2.5" from the cat back into a single 3" section over the diff with a small muffler thrown in there somewhere :