Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
metalhead_mike

Default NL fairlane ghia

Wondering if the nl fairlanes had the xr6 motor or not any1 kno? because im planning to buy 1 either a v8 or an I6 since the v8's in that model are somewhat sluggish id settle for a 6 if its the 164kw version since its basically the same power as the v8 version with abit less torque and spend some $$ on the I6 and chuck a good turbo on it.

and also do commodore mags fit onto fords cause i got told they dont because ford have a slightly different stud pattern is this true or bullshit cause i have a nice set of 18 inch commodore mags that'd look sweet on an nl and is the sls worth keeping i mean provided its still in decent condition cause if its not ill probably slam it on some ultra low's :

metalhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK firstly, yes the XR6 motor can be had in the fairlane, but only in sportsman and I think concorde models.

As for the rims, buy a POS VL if they are what you want; look hard enough and there is a good chance you willl find something just as good for a Ford.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
metalhead_mike

so your saying commodore mags dont fit fords? and why dont all nl fairlane ghia's have the xr6 motor el fairmont ghia's have it and can u do much to the old 165kw 385nm v8's in nl's cause i was hoping to get as much power as my vn ss has now i can see why back then holden v8's where more popular than fords my old 89 model vn ss has 165kw and 385mn stock and a 98 model ford v8 stock has exactly the same power only 100 or 200kg more weight if i didnt want a lwb car with some luxury id stick to my vn ss but nl fairlane ghia v8's these days sell for like 9 grand tops so their pretty cheap cheaper than vs series II statesmans by afew grand
Old 30-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well, only certain Fairlane models as Al mentioned came out with the XR6 motor. That was Ford Australia's perogative.

Commodore rims won't suit due to the slightly different stud pattern.

The 98 model Windsor was the same as the 91 model, my EB came out with the same power/torque stock.

As for throwing a turbo onto a six, there's nothing wrong with doing that to the std (non-XR) motor ;)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
can u do much to the old 165kw 385nm v8's in nl's
Yes, look at any speed shop in the US, you can get anything and everything for them.

Proper sentences would make your posts a lot easier to read too ;)

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
EDXR6T

Fairlane ghia + Boosted 6 + Dumped on 15 inch stockies = S1K!!!!!
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

If you want to go fast, forget about a Fairlane... :P

Weighing in at around 1700kg for a V8, they will need some serious work under the bonnet to get them moving quickly...

IMO, a six would be better, due to performance parts being easier and cheaper to obtain locally.

5.0 parts are in comparason harder to find and more expensive... If you want lots of power out of a 5.0, everything should be replaced... even the block is only stable up untill 500hp... That said the american aftermarket caters for everything required, but as I said, its pricey.

The up side to doing up a LWB, is that hardly anyone does iy, so it will be rather unique...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The better motor for you will depend on how much performance you are actually trying to get - a SWB will always weigh less and be faster though.

Personally I think the lazy nature of the V8 is well suited to the LWB cars.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
metalhead_mike

yea i know fairlanes are heavy and sluggish i suppose u cant have speed and luxury i dont want it to go FAST but 0 too 100 in 9 seconds or under would be nice. i didnt really expect a fairlane to be able to turn a corner have the boot sunk in and leave a trail of smoke off 18's going 60km's like my vn ss does
Old 31-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_mike
yea i know fairlanes are heavy and sluggish i suppose u cant have speed and luxury i dont want it to go FAST but 0 too 100 in 9 seconds or under would be nice. i didnt really expect a fairlane to be able to turn a corner have the boot sunk in and leave a trail of smoke off 18's going 60km's like my vn ss does
certainly talking up the SS.....the NL will be alot nicer than that ever if it doesn't go as "hard"
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #11
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
certainly talking up the SS.....the NL will be alot nicer than that ever if it doesn't go as "hard"

yea i know an nl will be better just not as fast ill be sad to see my vn ss go the old girl hasnt failed me yet after 40,000k's ive done in her shes now done 245,000 but u wouldnt know it driving she hasnt been thrashed much came from an old guy in nsw ive never had 1 problem with it since ive had it very reliable car thats what im afraid of about getting a ford cause ive heard horrible stories about just about everything under the sun breaking down in them alot of ef and el's from middle aged sensible drivers i know that still have problems with them and they havnt even clocked past 200k yet
Old 31-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #12
browndog
back to the futura

I'm looking at swapping my stock au2 futura for a nf2- nl fairlane. Im not looking for a race car- but a cruiser with some go- so i have the same dilemma and i'm not sure whether to go the 6 or the v8. According to info on: http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts...ltd/nldl.html- the v8 has only 3 more kilowatts more power & 17 more nm of torque at 3000 rpm in the nl fairlane. I dont need to tow and I do mainly highway kms. I know the 6 is more than ample but Ive always wanted a v8...hmmmm......
Old 31-03-2007, 01:12 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
yea i know an nl will be better just not as fast ill be sad to see my vn ss go the old girl hasnt failed me yet after 40,000k's ive done in her shes now done 245,000 but u wouldnt know it driving she hasnt been thrashed much came from an old guy in nsw ive never had 1 problem with it since ive had it very reliable car thats what im afraid of about getting a ford cause ive heard horrible stories about just about everything under the sun breaking down in them alot of ef and el's from middle aged sensible drivers i know that still have problems with them and they havnt even clocked past 200k yet
Show me a commy that hasn't got issues thats been treated the same as a falcon.

All comes down to the owner.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #14
metalhead_mike

ive always thought ford 6's where better than 8's especially in the e series where the power differences are pretty small even today if i was to buy a brand new bf id get an xr6 turbo over the v8 any day

what id really like is a fairlane by tickford cause those v8's have 195kw's but im not willing to pay that kinda money and they're too hard to find
Old 31-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndog
I'm looking at swapping my stock au2 futura for a nf2- nl fairlane. Im not looking for a race car- but a cruiser with some go- so i have the same dilemma and i'm not sure whether to go the 6 or the v8. According to info on: http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts...ltd/nldl.html- the v8 has only 3 more kilowatts more power & 17 more nm of torque at 3000 rpm in the nl fairlane. I dont need to tow and I do mainly highway kms. I know the 6 is more than ample but Ive always wanted a v8...hmmmm......
I think Fairlane_ghia summed it up perfectly.

Having spent a fair bit of time in both 6 & V8 versions, IMO the 8 is much more suited to the Fairlane's "personality"
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #16
EDXR6T

Quote:
ive always thought ford 6's where better than 8's especially in the e series where the power differences are pretty small even today if i was to buy a brand new bf id get an xr6 turbo over the v8 any day

what id really like is a fairlane by tickford cause those v8's have 195kw's but im not willing to pay that kinda money and they're too hard to find
It Ante 195 at the wheel's you know.

At best a good example 8 will run 150-160rwkw stock.

Turbed 6 is the way to go.Or get a 5speed, dev 3hl cam and full zorst.

That should see you in to the 140+ rwkw area. but turbo would be the best.

Do it
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Let's not get carried away, if Mike wants 0-100 under 9 seconds, take a look at these Redbook statistics:

NL Fairlane Ghia V8 0-100: 8.1 secs
NL Fairlane Ghia I6 0-100: 9.3 secs

A six with an aftermarket exhaust would most likely meet your criteria (even allowing for the engine having a few kms on the clock), or a stock 8. And if you want much higher performance, I would suggest starting with a lighter car - weight is the main reason VNs are fast.

For reliability, I consider Holden and Ford roughly equal and the most important thing is to get a good example of either.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
Harro
5l Fury

all this talk about US speed shops for 5.0l windsor parts, anyone have a link?
Cat Back Exhaust
Tickford Springs
EL Ghia Interior pieces
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
metalhead_mike

ive decided when i get an nl fairlane ghia ill get a v8 its guna use alot of fuel anyway weather its a 6 or an 8 might aswell get that bit more performance for my petrol money

the prob is v8 ones are abit harder to find in the right color theres alot more 6's on the market
Old 31-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #20
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

www.summitracing.com
www.jegs.com
www.corral.net - It's a Windsor based forum, full of 2nd hand parts

There is heaps of other places that do only 5.0 Windsor parts, but I can't remember the names of them.

www.xe.com/ucc for a currency convertor.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post