Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
underthunder
They were already there..

Default Bringing it back to life

Atm my 3.9L is being very sluggish. I've noticed it has gradually started to lose power, not just in 1 hit. Coming out of corners are a bit slower, even after a double shift into 2nd it still takes a bit to get up to about 3000rpm where it starts to kick harder, but still not hard enough. I have no idea what it could be... Is the motor dying? I thought they could take a lot more than this, it's done 230,000kms. If there is nothing I can do besides a rebuild or a reco head, the motor going back into it will be a 4.0L... Is there anything I can do? She's been serviced by myself not long ago, the only thing I haven't done is replace the plug leads but I doubt that would make it slowly lose power. Also on the highway, when overtaking, I drop it into 3rd and floor it, it picks up speed sorta ok, but these things have another 2 gears to go yet, whats going on?

PS: The accelerator cable is not stretching, it's brand new.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check that you catalytic converter isnt blocked, i noticed my car went quieter and slowed down dramtically, only to find i had a blocked cat...

i bought a high flow...

also try and advance the timing up a bit ?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
underthunder

I've played with the timing a bit, by ear, it's running a lot smoother, so it's not that... It could be the cat, I don't have the money to buy a new one though, and I can't get the damn bolts out from the exhaust manifold to gut it. Any tips on getting it off?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Bens_ELXR6
SupahStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
check that you catalytic converter isnt blocked, i noticed my car went quieter and slowed down dramtically, only to find i had a blocked cat...

i bought a high flow...

also try and advance the timing up a bit ?
I agree with Grechie on this one. Generaly the Catalyc converter will block, and cause loss of power. Fairly common in e series from what i've seen lol

There are heaps of other reasons why this would be. Might be a bung sensor, poor fuel quality, blocked fuel filter, blocked injectors, blocked air filter.

But the Cat converter would be the 1st thing i'd look at. Most exhaust places will tell you by hearing the exhaust if the cat is blocked.
Or if you like to DIY, take the cat off, and check it out.

Cheers,

Ben
Bens_ELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Scooter_505

In 2 e series i've dealt with the slugish performance was the fuel pump...it seems that the pressure can drop over time. Measure the flow as per workshop manual
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Bens_ELXR6
SupahStah

The bolts are usualy 15mm I think. I usualy use a shifter on the bolt end, and 15mm spanner on the nut end. And it comes off...

The cat should have a flange connecting it (1 each side). You shouldnt have to touch the exhaust manifold itself (Going by my setup with aftermarket CATBACK and extractors). Good tip if the bolts are tough to turn, throw a large ring spanner on the end of the spanner your using, and leaver the larger ring spanner to turn the smaller one. *Dunno if I explained that one good or not* hehe

Cheers,

Ben
Bens_ELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
underthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bens_ELXR6
Good tip if the bolts are tough to turn, throw a large ring spanner on the end of the spanner your using, and leaver the larger ring spanner to turn the smaller one. *Dunno if I explained that one good or not* hehe
lol well, it wasn't explained too good actually, but it sounds interesting, and it's worth a try seeing as I can't get the bastards off using a spanner and some WD40. Could you explain it any better? Or does anybody else understand?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

A little bit of heat on the nut with an oxy set does a good job of freeing up stiff threads.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
underthunder

Hmm actually, should this be in technical?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quick tip which could save you thousands at the E.P.A. Testing Station. DONT GUT THE CAT.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
underthunder

Just making the point that I do understand this is illegal, please no more replies about the damn E.P.A fines.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Well no more replies about gutting the *** thing. Its really pretty simple.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
underthunder

I wasn't actually asking how to gut the cat... I asked for a few suggestions on how to get the bolts undone as they are quite hard... This thread is about my motor being sluggish, the cat was something to check... I need to know how to get the bolts off to check the cat... Don't take this thread down the shithole please, lets stay on topic.

Last edited by EAIIFalconS; 09-04-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Cuz me spreak propery engrish
underthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAIIFalconS
I've played with the timing a bit, by ear, it's running a lot smoother, so it's not that... It could be the cat, I don't have the money to buy a new one though, and I can't get the damn bolts out from the exhaust manifold to gut it. Any tips on getting it off?
Ok then.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
-jjM-
Banned

dont mind EAadam hes post qwality tonight is somewhat....****!

dose it take a while to start up when its cold? mine was actually very badly once, i just replaced the common things, coil, leads, sprak plugs, filter, cat, thats off the top of my head and she was back to what she was again...
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #16
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

something that might help get the bolts undone. spray some wd40 on the bolts, and dont just undo them. undo it 1 turn, then do it up 1 turn, then undo it 2 turns, and up 1 turn. just to loosen the thread a little. i am guessing the bolts are quite rusty