Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Default A New Car

Well, the time has come to upgrade my daily driver to something better on juice, and basically 'new'.... I've got a car allowance to justify you see.

The good news is that the Fairmont is staying!! The wife will take the helm during the week, which means she'll rack up a "huge" 40kms per week on the car instead of my 400kms, which hopefully means less wear-and-tear, retain more value etc etc...

Which brings me to my dilemma, I'm currently split between a top spec medium car (Mazda 3 SP23 lux pack, not the MPS turbo) or a low spec larger car, such as the Subaru Liberty 2.0R (slowish, but with free satnav at the mo). I cannot justify the depreciation on a BF2 Falcon or indeed running two 4.0L cars, can't find an XR5T and it doesn't have an auto option, and also want to reduce weekly fuel bills and own a car that will be worth something after 3/4years.

I have my finances sorted and just need to hear some feedback (good and bad), has anyone got any thoughts on either of these two cars ?

My allegiance to the blue oval is still there - I just want to wear out some other car, not my Fairmont !

Cheers.

SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Mazda 3 sounds like a good bet to me, though if i was you id wait for the new Lancer GSR or check out the Honda Civic Sport.

Liberty 2.0R is for masochists, only its like stabing your eyes out with a red hot poker.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

How about a Getz ?

Run on the sniff of an oily rag and hell cheap for a new car.
Even used ones are pretty cheap with low kms.
If it depriciates, you dont loose out so bad either.
I only know so cause my little sister has been looking at them.

But it depends what you want tho, family car or commuter basher.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I've just sold an Elantra, so I have "done" the budget brand, and will never buy one again I reckon.

Not a bad car, just not a quality car.

The Liberty is great to sit in, but even the 2.5i version (same kws as 2.0R but more torque) seems gutless... but then most smaller cars would do after driving a 4.0L !!!
Old 24-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

subaru's are very heavy cars = bad fuel economy

what troubles did you have with the elantra?
Old 24-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

If you like Subaru, have you considered the Impreza?

One of my friends has an SP23 and it seems to be a really nice car. I haven't actually driven it, but I've been for a ride in it, and even with four people it seemed to pack a lot of punch.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

IMO ive driven near new Mazda 3 SP23 and they go very well for a smaller car, has plenty of poke out of the corners and the suspension is very well tuned and they handle great, i'd seriously consider one myself for the other half as they are a great car to drive.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

You can probably get the best of both ATM in a Mazda6. Same engine as SP23, not much more weight, similar size to Liberty and they've just upped equipment and dropped prices at the bottom of the range ahead of a runout later in the year.

AND Mazda are owned by Ford....
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Diesel VW Golf?
Old 24-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Diesel VW Golf?

Ill second that!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
andrewts
White Car Driver

Get the Mazda 3. My mother has one, and even for base model, it is surprisingly excellent!
Old 24-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
Umineko
Karasu

I'd go for the Mazda, good resale, reliable and cheaper to maintain... the Liberty isn't a bad car and holds its value resonably well but it's heavy, underpowered, complicated and very expensive to fix when something stuffs up... IMHO the Mazda drives better and is better appointed and styled. and at the end of the day will probably be the easier of the 2 to shift when you come to get rid of it
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
LOWAU

LPG +$2k rebate = answer, haha

Cheap to run and service costs for the au will be lower then all of the cars mentioned above.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

me thinks that this is really in the wrong section here. wouldnt this be better posted in the pub or the bar? it really has nothing to do with the au's, let alone falcons as you want imports.
just my 2 cents though

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The Mazda 3 is a great car. Does everything really well from what I understand. I would check the real world fuel consumption though.

What's wrong with the non turbo Ford Focus?

Great that the Fairmont stays!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #16
Ringo
I see you....

Mazda is a nice bit of gear. Very high quality. I have a 12 month old Mazda 6 Luxury Sport 6 speed on lease and think its great. No regrets. It has the 2.3 litre. It is very quick around town but I think its the way the electronic throttle is set up - its very sensitive initially making it feel vey punchy but once the throttle goes from half way to the floor there is no extra oomph. 5 star safety rating and as many airbags as a BMW.

I'm getting 8.3 l/100 km on 95 premium and I'm not babying it. It loves to rev and happiest from 2500 upwards. It has fully variable inlet cam phasing (timing) and while that doesn't = massive hp gain it gives this engine fantastic flexibility. For only 2.3L it really does cope with pulling away in 3rd without issueand I regularly go 1st, 2nd, 4th or 1st, 2nd, 3rd to 5th.

The resale of this generation of Mazdas is about the highest possible and the Mazda 3 is only selling second to Corolla in the small car class. I don't know heaps about the Sub's but they have had a reputation for noise previously on Impreza's - I was seriously considering a Forrester as well but Mrs Ringo fell in love with the shape. Mazda's are great value and servicing costs are quite reasonable.

The 6 has just been revised and nealry $1k taken off the price as a new 6 is on the horizon (no pic available yet but it won't be dramaticaly different)
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

also consider a honda accord euro they are a great, my brother has one, its got heaps of pull from down low and it just revs forever.
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Thanks for the input guys - I have made my choice this morning... A 2.0R Liberty with auto and Satnav thrown in for less than the manual without Satnav.

Not a road rocket, but better than the VCT Ghia on juice and "nice and safe" around the corners... although the wife will proabably be able to beat me off the lights when she's in the Ghia!! It's all about the quality and value of the thing in 3 or 4 years time, and that was part of what swung the deal.

As for the Elantra, we had loads of rattles, it drove badly (manual box) and had to have the bonnet, roof and bootlid repainted due to it peeling.
Old 25-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sp23 is great, but the MPS is so much fun
please consider
Old 25-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I agree - MPS goes ballistic (shame they couldn't fit the 4x4 drivetrain in it) but was ultimately out of my reach financially.

Anyway, this thread hasn't mentioned AU's much, so I will probably get banned soon if this doesn't finish up soon !

Cheers.
Old 25-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
Bitmap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
.....I have made my choice this morning... A 2.0R Liberty with auto and Satnav .......
Good choice mate. A nice car.

The Mazdas are great cars too. The wife drives a Mazda that is 3.5 years old and never had a problem with it. It may not have the same power as my ute but its still a very nice car to drive.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post