Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
AU3XR8 Stroked
Black n Silver Rebel

Default Exhaust/Muffler Question

Hi all.

I'm getting a new system on friday. Pacemaker 4into1, hi-flo cats and twin 2.5in pipes.

My question is what kind of muffler system should i use?

I dont want it to be too loud at idle, but I'd like to hear a nice v8 sound and I dont care how loud it is on acceleration.

The mech has advised to use 1 muffler per pipe and a silencer which looked to be as big as the mufflers. I'm worried that it might be too quiet and wonder if bigger muffs kill performance.

I'd like to hear what others have used, how loud they are and if possible, the size of the mufflers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Cheers

AU3XR8 Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
dishpig
Only an xr6...

I've only got one muffler for my one pipe. It's the exact same system just missing a pipe. I wouldn't be able to tell you how much a silencer does but my system isn't too loud at idle.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
groops

I have an AU3 XR6...by the looks of it you're looking at an 8 set-up, but I'll tell you what I've got...Pacemaker Comp headers Ceramic Coated...2.5" Metal Catz Ceramic coated High Flo Cat...Lukey Mild steel 2.5" Mandrel Bent Cat Back with 1 single Muffler at the back....sounds nice and burbly at idle, and roars when I open it up...Sounds Hot...hope this may bear some kind of resemblance to what's being asked...
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

you should get one muffler

and a pair of hotdogs (one for each pipe) i think. that should be good.

my single 2.5" on my I6 runs one muffler and a hotdog and its pretty quiet at idle but fairly loud (not loud enough though) when you put the boot into it.
Old 30-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

redback make a good mandrel bent system I have one on ny AU6 and it's gr8
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Single mufflers only would be too loud but I also think that the large resonators (the ones that look like mufflers) do quieten a system down a fair bit. As mentioned maybe a hotdog is the way to go, they should kill any drone but still keep it on the loud side of things without being restrictive. Check out the lukey website for hotdog pics and info.

Slightly off topic, on my I6 I originally had a centre muffler and resonator - too quiet, put in a hotdog and am much happier

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
markxr6t

I just got a new exhaust on my AU2 XR8 220. Its a single 2.5 inch with 1 Lukey Sports straight through muffler (about half the size of stock ones) and one rear resonator.

Its got a beautiful burble on idle, sounds fantastic under throttle and doesn't drone when sitting on any constant speed.

My advice is to get straight through mufflers and rear resonators (or hotdogs - do the same job) as they are designed to take out the "high notes" which don't sound much good anyway. This'll give you a loud, quality note when you want it and civility when you don't.
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I have those extractors on my sedan, and a twin 2.25" system, with Lukey turbo mufflers, not to bad at idle, but barks like a mofo when you stomp it
Listen to it in my signature
Old 30-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Magna flow exhausts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
AU3XR8 Stroked
Black n Silver Rebel

That sedan of yours sounds excellent XR8fella. I need mine to be a bit quieter cause of resination in my carport, more like your ute.
Do you have a resonator or a hot dog on your system.
Old 30-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Factory resonators on the sedan.
Ute is a cat back Lukey 3" system.
At idle, the ute is actually louder
Old 31-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #12
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I got Liverpool Exhaust to put a twin 2 1/2 pipes on mine. One muffler on each side no resonators. It not to loud at idle & low revs but put the foot down & everyone body knows it.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
AU3XR8 Stroked
Black n Silver Rebel

Talking

Well I've dropped the car off to get the new exhaust. Should have it back this afternoon. Then off to C&V to get a new edit on Tuesday. Can't wait!

Thanks everyone for your feedback because it has helped me make my decision :
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

So what did you decide on ?
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

So, how did you go?
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post