Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #31
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm.

That stresses me out less lol.

Without coolant in the head it idled for 1/2 an hour until the thermostat opened.

Since then till now We have driven it a total of 5km's for around 20 minutes (some idling).

But at least that was with water in the engine.

I'll check it out tomorrow ASAP.

Is there anyway to check for damage without removing the cylinder head?

Also how do I remove the TFI module form the distributer body

The connector seems to have some thermal paste on it (looks like vaseline) but I'll reapply it with new stuff from altronics
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #32
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Should be fine. You don't need to remove the module yet just unplug the wiring harness from it and remove any coolant with WD40 or CRC, leave to dry then fill socket with thermal paste and plug harness back in. TFI module is retained with two bolt headed screws (see http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ruck/index.php); hard but not totally impossible to remove with distributor in engine. You need to put thermal grease on back of TFI module when reinstalling on metal plate of TFI module so the heat sink works and the TFI module does not die (hence the reason why Ford use it as a water repellent insulator in plug - factory worker can use one paste for all of job). See also http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/TFI-PIP/TFI-PIP.htm

Dick Smith and others sell special driver sets that will fit the bolt headed screws but very small sockets will fit.

There is a Dow Corning product that can be used instead of thermal grease as a water repellent in the socket that is also approved by Ford but it is more costly and harder to get.
Old 15-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You'll soon know if the head has gone. Overheating, steam from exhaust, coolant in cylinders after prolonged cooling sytem pressure test, missing etc.
Old 15-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #34
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The alternative:
http://www.escopro.com/compounds.html

Dow Corning® 4 Electrical Insulating Compound
Primary Use – Dielectric moisture barrier on electrical equipment.
Special Characteristics – High dielectric strength; least tacky of Dow Corning silicone compounds; moisture and ozone resistance.
Physical Form – Medium-consistency, translucent white, grease-like silicone paste.
Applications – Lubricating and moisture-proofing ignition systems, disconnect junctions, electrical assemblies and terminals, cable connectors and battery terminals; maintaining flexibility of natural and synthetic rubbers, vinyls, plastics, rubber and plastic O-rings.
Temperature Range – From –40 to 400°F (-40 to 204°C).
Listings/Specifications – FDA 21 CFR 175.300, NSF 51, NSF 61.
Container Sizes – Tubes, pails and drums.
Old 15-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #35
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps again mate.

Every time I've had a problem you've been there and walked me through it accuralty.

I'll pickup the thermal paste tomorrow.

I hope to god this fixes the problem.

The engine ran worse today when I disconnected 2 leads form the distributer cap and reconnecred them after testing the ohms and removed the TFI plug so it's either one of those 2 and from what ya saying TFI is my best bet
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #36
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
It's a streamlined butterfly, no resistance what so ever!
zero point something ohms
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #37
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
zero point something ohms
Not on any modern car with standard leads.