Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
big_fletch

Question New member looking for some Lowering Advice??

i have just joined this site after buying my first car a AU1 futura, and i am looking for some advice on lowering, i dont know weather to go King SL or SSL. i have just put a set of 18" BA XR8 mags on and want the top of the tyre to sit about the start of the guard? any1 have any pics of the different spring sizes for a comparison?
Thanks, Chris

big_fletch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Alan Shore

I have Ultralows on my AU...here's a pic...with BA XR8 18s as well...

Mind you I did snip the rear. Superlows are sufficient with a bit more comfort...Ultralows do make it hard to drive and not too much comfort. I only picked Ultralows because I could and the AUs are really sorta big and odd looking and having seen them on Superlows...I didn't think it looked low enough. At the moment I still don't think it's low enough. Hope this helps...or check out my thread as well...good luck mate! ;)
Alan Shore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Make sure you get a camber/castor kit added. With the 18s sitting that close to the guard, get them rolled. I've got a King Pro-sport kit which has a height adjustable front coilover setup, I'm not sure they do them anymore, but Pedders do a similar setup, so you can adjust the height to whatever suits you. Rears I think the kit has the equivalent to SL.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id go Superlows. They are deffinately low, I sit 98-102 off the ground at the rear flange of the cat, deoends on whats in the car and fuel. Its low, but not an inconvenience. Ive only scraped once, when I went to fast over a sharp rise.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
big_fletch

yer both the pics look good but i think that ultra is a little too low for me.. tell ya it looks good though. SL looks about the height that i want. and yer i am gettin the camber and castor kit as well
Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_fletch
i have just joined this site after buying my first car a AU1 futura, and i am looking for some advice on lowering, i dont know weather to go King SL or SSL. i have just put a set of 18" BA XR8 mags on and want the top of the tyre to sit about the start of the guard? any1 have any pics of the different spring sizes for a comparison?
Thanks, Chris
SUpr lows , and get some decent lowered struts , have a talk to your steering guy as there may be no need for a camber kit but you need to ask and consider rolling the inner guards with larger wheel
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
Alan Shore

Quote:
yer both the pics look good but i think that ultra is a little too low for me.. tell ya it looks good though. SL looks about the height that i want. and yer i am gettin the camber and castor kit as well
hehehe...yeah it's not for everyone. SL would certainly be easier to live with...but I'm happy with Ultralows...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
falzoony
Rockin '67

Check it out I'v got SL's (King Springs), lowers it about 1 and a half inchs.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
big_fletch

yer falzoony that bout exactly what i want. so looks like SL are the way to go, just to sit the car at the right height
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
eXi7w0unD

i got ultras and it sits high with a bodykit, due to the 20" rims raising it, so im getting the ultras at the rear compressed 1 inch... heres a pic.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
big_fletch

yer that looks pretty *** to. love those bodykits, just wish i could afford one
Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

i only got lows in mine, plus a heap of **** in the boot.

and today i got told that it was too low for roadworthy.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
yer falzoony that bout exactly what i want. so looks like SL are the way to go, just to sit the car at the right height
yeaah i'd go superlows ... Ultralows the cops will pick on u and superlows arnt over the top, they offer a classy ride hight ... as for a camber kit ... if u dont have a wagon, then u dont need it!!!! save urself $300 ... im going SL'z on my AUI Fairmont and that was recomended to me by my cousin who owns Wheelworx ... so its kinda his job to know that ****, so thats what id suggest for u .. and falzoony's ride is at a NICE hieght .. not to low not to high ...
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i only got lows in mine, plus a heap of **** in the boot.

and today i got told that it was too low for roadworthy.
BullSh!t ... by who???
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Robe

Setting the car down looks great but if this is your everyday ride my advice is:

Don't do it!!

You'll be scraping your bits on every hump and bump.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got mine lowered a bit with a body kit and havn't scrapped it yet. If you know how to drive you'll be right
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Good choice my car sits a bit lower then the XR6's. and as for scrapping, mine does but nothing major, only when coming out of steep driveways and its never scapped over a speedhump.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Alan Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
yeaah i'd go superlows ... Ultralows the cops will pick on u
Well that should be the case...but I've had them in for almost 3 months now with the rims and have had no trouble with the cops whatsoever...suffice to say they don't even look at me...like literally loll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe
Don't do it!!
You'll be scraping your bits on every hump and bump.
...that should be the case too. And my street has like the biggest speed humps in the northern suburbs...it does scrap with a full load...but otherwise fine. Depends on how ya drive perhaps...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
loony888

my ute is low, pedders did the job and it looks great, i have ripped the centre muffler off it though, my fault! and it sits nice, the arch is down over the tyre a little. no problems with the fuzz, and now i'm used to it, i don't scrape or bottom on anything.
i have 245/40/18 on 8" rims and they are close but there's no rubbing, and my alignment came up spot on without a camber kit.
Old 26-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
big_fletch

wait im confused, i got told today that SSL the same as UltraLows, is this true? if not whats generally the defference in ride height?
Old 26-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #21
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fletch
wait im confused, i got told today that SSL the same as UltraLows, is this true? if not whats generally the defference in ride height?
Yeah SSL (super super lows) are another name for ultra lows.

So you have standard, lows (factory XR height), superlows, ultralows (SSL).

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_xrsx_oO
Yeah SSL (super super lows) are another name for ultra lows.

So you have standard, lows (factory XR height), superlows, ultralows (SSL).
Correct
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

SL's over BA XR8 18's and no camber/castor kit.

About as low as I'd ever want to go but I can still get into and out of *most* places.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 01:31 AM   #24
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I have a series 3 xr8 and when it comes to scrapeing mine is shocking! it has the ultra lows or SSL so i just found out there the same. Then they have been (modified) by about a coil more. Still havnt bee picked on by cops and have been pulled up a few times in it for rbts and stuff and they havnt said anything. But yeah it has chewed my front gaurds out and now they have to be rolled and with the 3 inch pipes under the diff they scrape a !@#$ load the slightest bump and it scrapes. i have just got another set of SSL and will be putting them back. Im pretty sure the XR's have camber caster kits in the front already but not sure about the rear?? i could be wrong though
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #25
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will put one more vote for Super Lows, i think thats about as far as you would comfortably go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Id go Superlows. They are deffinately low, I sit 98-102 off the ground at the rear flange of the cat, deoends on whats in the car and fuel. Its low, but not an inconvenience. Ive only scraped once, when I went to fast over a sharp rise.
I really like the look of yours Monty. Can i just ask, do you have SL front springs as well? The reason i ask is that i have Lows at the moment and have just been given a pair of new Super Lows for the rear to try and level it out a bit. If it comes out anything like yours i will be wrapped.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
josh_hartman
Banned

ok i just bought a set of ultra lows and i already have 18 inch rims. will i have to get anything else for the springs to fit or will it all be good?
josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
drof
Starter Motor

I have an ultra low XR III xr 8 whishing i didn't go so low - touches about everywhere I go...you have to be very carefull.....looks **** hot though and hugs the road you know like %^$# to a blanket...

ed
drof is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #28
big_fletch

yer i dont think i wanna be touching the road all the time, SL sounds like the way to go, and me being a new P plater im sure the cops will be pullin me up and they will notice it. ill post some pics up on my profile when i get them installed.. cheers everyone