Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default SmartShield Remotes- Spawn of Satan

Does anyone else have problems with these ? I busted 1 thus far and this on is on its last legs and ive only got 1 spare left from Ebay.

I feel like going old skool again and using key, whilst locking the remotes in a glass humidity, temperature controlled case, they SUCK. Plus they seem to churn out top quality batteries in under 8 months.

The buttons are crap and wear out, whole damn thing is piddly and the ability to change the battery without busting the damn thing is an art. Plus they are farking dear. It makes a AU Series One look more tempting, lol

I wish Ford had of stuck with the Smartlock remote or atleast designed a remote which does not 100% suck

*Yes this is a rant, but does anyone else think the remote's suck ?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Nup, had the original one run out of a battery after 6 years, using the spare one now as the other one looks a little worn. Got a few more spare remotes should I ever need them.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have been having issues with mine ... only got one set when i bought the ute .... but it still is on the same battery in 2 years ... and I have been packing theh inside of the remote with thin cardboard ... just so it is all jammed in there and keeps contact.

Also the unlock button now is getting a hole worn in it ... I think I am going to have bite the bullet and get one soon.

It does suck though.

I wonder if the BA remotes can be programmed to the AU .... it's a much better remote ... and much sturdier ... my Territory remotes are like new ... and they are 3 years old now ... and still on the original batteries.

I guess they did something good with the B-series vehicles :hihi:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I had trouble with mine when the the part holding the battery would come loose at the slightest knock, ended up super gluing them in and never had trouble since, idea of packing it with cardboard sounds good too.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Does anyone else have problems with these ? I busted 1 thus far and this on is on its last legs and ive only got 1 spare left from Ebay.

I feel like going old skool again and using key, whilst locking the remotes in a glass humidity, temperature controlled case, they SUCK. Plus they seem to churn out top quality batteries in under 8 months.

The buttons are crap and wear out, whole damn thing is piddly and the ability to change the battery without busting the damn thing is an art. Plus they are farking dear. It makes a AU Series One look more tempting, lol

I wish Ford had of stuck with the Smartlock remote or atleast designed a remote which does not 100% suck

*Yes this is a rant, but does anyone else think the remote's suck ?
Never had a real issue.
The battery cradle was always a little "suss"... but we added some blue-tac to the back of the battery.
(to press against the rear part of the case)
It took all the shock out and stopped them from cracking solders.
(also seen folder paper work too)

Other than that, stop trying to press the button through the curcit board.
Unless you are using the remote 80 times a day, the battery should last 18 months plus.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

I never had an issue when i had my AU it had the smartshield system but had the smartlock keypad (but i got it with a busted remote where only the boot button worked, the door one didn't), i also had an ED and my dad had an AU wagon with the smartlock remotes and no problems there

Only problem i have is with my commodore, the unlock button on the key seems to break after a few months, although after i changed the case for the 3rd time it seems to be alright i've had this case since Feb and still no cracks on the unlock button

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines had the original battery since new, only thing i did wrong was drop it so hard the battery holder broke off, and would play up.... so about 4-5 years on the original remote....pretty durable considering

yes i know they are expensive, $98 or so for the remote, $116 for the key, not incl the programing....

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Sledgehammer
Banned

AU series 1 still going same battery, AU II busted 2 now just use the keys........
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU3 still original battery buttons work fine same in 3 AU2 cabs i drive are you knocking them around ? lots of stuff in your pockets wedging the buttons on? i'd be looking for the cause as these remotes have given me no problems and that includes 3 cabs I drive
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post