Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Extractors or Sports Exaust?

Well I've finished doing my taxes and realised I was going to get a nice amount, enough to buy the extractors and exaust I wanted.

Except for one problem.

Stupid muther farkin bills decided to come at the same time so now i face the decision of choosing a 2.5inch system or pacemaker extractors.

Is there any point having extractors with the restrictive exaust in my Fairmont?

What is going to give me more power extractors or sports exaust?

I'm luking at Lukey exausts has anybody used them and how good is the note?

What's the difference between regular pacemakers and pacemaker comps?

Cheers,

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
falzoony
Rockin '67

For sound, there's no point having extractors without the exhaust, you won't hear anything.
I think extractors give more power then an exhaust, but having both would be the best. Maybe you should save a for a bit longer so you can get both, that's what I'm doing

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That's a lot of questions. There are plenty of threads on this subject, each with various posters, each with their own thoughts. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Fit cats back first - if it's at least 2.5" mandrel bent, it will free up the basic restrictions in the system (at the same time, get the flanges on your cat cut back to be 2.5" entry and exit)

2. No experience with lukey, but as long it's a full mandrel bent system, you can't go wrong. Redback systems are popular - and there's almost no performance difference between the kit with the rear resonator, and the kit with straight through pipe (both have a largish straight through centre muffler).

3. Pacemaker 4499s work well on all non-VCT I6s. If yours is a ghia with the VCT motor, the 4499s are a good improvement for torque, but not much in peak power. The 4480s tend to deliver more peak power increase for the VCT engine, but higher inthe rev range. I have had 4499s on both the VCT (XR6) and non-VCT (forte wagon), and the 4499s have performed well enough in both applications.

With just cats back system, expect around 10 to 15% increase in torque down low, and up to around 10rwkw for cats back system (at leats 5 rwkw should be gained easily).

With just extractors on stock system, you may only get a few rwkw difference. Extractors and a sports (2.5") system should add around 5 to 8 rwkw over just the sprots system. So all up with a full system and widened entry and exit flanges on the cat, or with a brand new 2.5" or 3" cat, you can realistically expect an increase somewhere in the range of 10 to 20 rwkw (ie around 10 to 15% more power at the wheels over stock).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

2. No experience with lukey, but as long it's a full mandrel bent system, you can't go wrong. Redback systems are popular - and there's almost no performance difference between the kit with the rear resonator, and the kit with straight through pipe (both have a largish straight through centre muffler).
The place I went to get a quote do lukey systems and they quoted me $275 for a mandrel bent 2.5 system. So I'm guessing if they quoted you around that mark it would be the same system.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
The place I went to get a quote do lukey systems and they quoted me $275 for a mandrel bent 2.5 system. So I'm guessing if they quoted you around that mark it would be the same system.
I'm not a fan of the lukey system, I think there is a reason they are so much cheaper than redback. The lukey I found to be very droney at highway speeds and around town and it basically annoyed the shiznit out of me. Redback on the other hand was a good system with a nice note. Btw these were both on my EL I6.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

So what does a "sports exaust" involve?

Does it include high flow mufflers in the set?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
So what does a "sports exaust" involve?

Does it include high flow mufflers in the set?
Sports exhaust means different things to different people but what is most widely accepted is that it has a freer flowing pipe with higher flowing mufflers that give more bias to note and power as opposed to noise suppression and livability for the general population.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I had a Lukey 2.5" system on my old AU I6, and unlike RedXR347, it never droned at highway speeds and had a great note around town. No experience wihth Redback however.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
I'm not a fan of the lukey system, I think there is a reason they are so much cheaper than redback. The lukey I found to be very droney at highway speeds and around town and it basically annoyed the shiznit out of me. Redback on the other hand was a good system with a nice note. Btw these were both on my EL I6.
I had the redback & pacemaker on a AU 6 and I purchashed a hacker EB with near new Lukey 2.5 cat back system wich I pulled of & sold to a member of this forum & replaced with a stock system without the rear muffler. They both had the typical ford ohc sound except I gather the extractors made the sound a bit deeper on the AU with the redback
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive found that Redback exhausts tend to give a deeper, nicer sounding note than the Lukey ones, its all a matter of persona opinion though.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have Paccies, High flow cat, Redback Muffler and a resonator through a 2.5''.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the redback I know they cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. I've been told these systems are designed with dyno testing so you get optimal results and they sound far better than a Lukey system. My extractors and redback were the best money I have spent on my car without doubt
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

i prefer the sound of my Lukey exhaust over the redback system on my mums car.

it has that "famous lukey growl" haha what a ****.

i dunno, my exhaust sounds aweome when you get up it, or in a car park or something.

the redbacks, i find (especially without the rear ressy) just sound like noise for the sake of it. i dunno.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

i dunno, my exhaust sounds aweome when you get up it, or in a car park or something.

the redbacks, i find (especially without the rear ressy) just sound like noise for the sake of it. i dunno.

So how much did the lukey exaust kit cost you??

I think it's more personal opinion as long as it doesn't sound like this Commodore that carline are actually advertising with their car sounds

http://www.carline.com.au/default.as...SOUND&catid=34

WTF??? It sounds shite why would you advertise it??

The sound file for the AU sounds pretty good.

All I'm after is a nice deep rumbling note with no rattle and drone and a nice meaty slap of extra torque to push me into XR8 levels of grunt.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

I have the redback with the resonator and it has a nice deep rumble sounds awesome especially going through a drivthru with the echo
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I personally would go catback first, then extractors.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
So how much did the lukey exaust kit cost you??

I think it's more personal opinion as long as it doesn't sound like this Commodore that carline are actually advertising with their car sounds

http://www.carline.com.au/default.as...SOUND&catid=34

WTF??? It sounds shite why would you advertise it??

The sound file for the AU sounds pretty good.

All I'm after is a nice deep rumbling note with no rattle and drone and a nice meaty slap of extra torque to push me into XR8 levels of grunt.
i got my exhaust done at mates rates, so it was like 270.

but i got quoted $420 for redback system with tips at Muffler Man at Penrith (NSW)
Carline shops, with Lukey systems would be a similar price

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I have the redback with the resonator and it has a nice deep rumble sounds awesome especially going through a drivthru with the echo
each to their own. i prefer the lukey on my car, over the redback on my mums.

im uploading a video of my car on the dyno so you can kinda hear it. as well as the fans etc lol
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Dyno pull. Retarded camera work by me. 117rwkw :P

day i got the exhaust.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Cheers sounds good can't wait for my exaust.

My exaust is WAAAAYYYYY too quiet.

It actually loses 4kw over the XR6 VCT due to the damn exaust so should free up a few ponies.