Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default air intake

hey guys just looking at getting some more induction into my AU I6, i was originally going to go with the XR6T snorkel (don't want tickford wings) but i've seen some of you guy's with the G&D induction system, obviously this is the way to go to increase induction but how much are they worth compared to the price i would be looking at for the XR6T snorkel($65ish from what i've gathered) ? price will be a deciding factor of whether i go for the el cheapo option or whether to save up my hard earned to get myself a much better induction system. any help would be appreciated.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
hey guys just looking at getting some more induction into my AU I6, i was originally going to go with the XR6T snorkel (don't want tickford wings) but i've seen some of you guy's with the G&D induction system, obviously this is the way to go to increase induction but how much are they worth compared to the price i would be looking at for the XR6T snorkel($65ish from what i've gathered) ? price will be a deciding factor of whether i go for the el cheapo option or whether to save up my hard earned to get myself a much better induction system. any help would be appreciated.
Wings make your car go harder - worth at least 25rwkw on the dyno, and I found mine won't drive in a straight line under full throttle since I swapped the XR6T snorkel for the Tickford one.

XR6T snorkel is around $40 or under new from Ford (varies by dealership and day), whereas the G&D setup is around $600.

Those who have the G&D setup or similar, absolutely swear by them, and those that don't bag them as ludicrously overpriced and useless. Most people seem to get results from them though!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Wings make your car go harder - worth at least 25rwkw on the dyno, and I found mine won't drive in a straight line under full throttle since I swapped the XR6T snorkel for the Tickford one.

XR6T snorkel is around $40 or under new from Ford (varies by dealership and day), whereas the G&D setup is around $600.

Those who have the G&D setup or similar, absolutely swear by them, and those that don't bag them as ludicrously overpriced and useless. Most people seem to get results from them though!
wait, i don't think i said it quite right, i meant i want the XR6T snorkel because it doesn't have the wings but is the same size as the XR snorkel, i don't own a tickford and don't want to pretend my car is something it's not:P i have a mate who works at ford and, funnily enough, he suggested i go to FTG Auto salvage as the cheapest he can get them for is $90. now i believe you need a tune to go along with the G&D type intake. to make full use of this how much would i be looking at? ballpark figure. i already have pacemakers and a 2.5" exhaust so no need to factor that into the price as i know they are necessary also. cheers guys.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 19-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
wait, i don't think i said it quite right, i meant i want the XR6T snorkel because it doesn't have the wings but is the same size as the XR snorkel, i don't own a tickford and don't want to pretend my car is something it's not:P i have a mate who works at ford and, funnily enough, he suggested i go to FTG Auto salvage as the cheapest he can get them for is $90. now i believe you need a tune to go along with the G&D type intake. to make full use of this how much would i be looking at? ballpark figure. i already have pacemakers and a 2.5" exhaust so no need to factor that into the price as i know they are necessary also. cheers guys.
It's ok, I was only stirring re the wings, I know you didn't want them!

The XR6T snorkels are like $45 new on ebay (search for wide mouth intake or something like that), and many people around here report paying anywhere from $20 to $50 from Ford. I personally paid $30 or so for mine new from Ford.
Old 19-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Interesting thing these G&D boxes.

I dont deny for a second that there is a LOT of R&D gone into them but to me the prospect of spending $600 on an airbox (thats the sort of money a cam and parts kit would cost me, i know which id buy first) does not put it all that high on my list. But as has been said, those who have them swear by them, and I am very impressed with their fit, finish and functionality.

I think to be honest unless I was going all out and spending mega bucks on the car i.e doing the full top end (heads, cam, tune etc) i wouldnt buy one, but if my wallet was already open, Id probably throw one in. In terms of whether they are worth it or not, I dont really feel qualified to comment as Ive never had one on my car.
Old 19-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
It's ok, I was only stirring re the wings, I know you didn't want them!

The XR6T snorkels are like $45 new on ebay (search for wide mouth intake or something like that), and many people around here report paying anywhere from $20 to $50 from Ford. I personally paid $30 or so for mine new from Ford.
haha no worries, i have this problem where i tend to assume people know what i mean so i'm usually quick to correct myself rather than ""blame" someone for not understanding . yeah i find it weird how i've heard all these people on the forum say they got things real cheap from ford yet i seem to be getting back a completely different figure sometimes. supply and demand i suppose.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 19-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

B2TF, without being smart with the cam work done wouldn't it possibly give you a slighty better increase with the G&D type induction than if you didn't have the cam done? i've just sorta figure that you should start at the beginning of the cycle to improve things. just my opinion on it anyways.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 19-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
haha no worries, i have this problem where i tend to assume people know what i mean so i'm usually quick to correct myself rather than ""blame" someone for not understanding . yeah i find it weird how i've heard all these people on the forum say they got things real cheap from ford yet i seem to be getting back a completely different figure sometimes. supply and demand i suppose.
I am exactly the same!

When I first went to buy an XR6T snorkel, it was because someone had one for around $100 secondhand on the forums! I rang up Ford, and did get varying quotes, but the more dealers I rang, the cheaper it got, until finally I got a price I liked, rang my local dealer and told them how much I could get it for from such and such dealer and the deal was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interesting thing these G&D boxes.

I dont deny for a second that there is a LOT of R&D gone into them but to me the prospect of spending $600 on an airbox (thats the sort of money a cam and parts kit would cost me, i know which id buy first) does not put it all that high on my list. But as has been said, those who have them swear by them, and I am very impressed with their fit, finish and functionality.

I think to be honest unless I was going all out and spending mega bucks on the car i.e doing the full top end (heads, cam, tune etc) i wouldnt buy one, but if my wallet was already open, Id probably throw one in. In terms of whether they are worth it or not, I dont really feel qualified to comment as Ive never had one on my car.
Agree 100% - definitely a quality product, but to me alot of money when I've still got plenty of basics to do.
Old 19-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-EL-AU...QQcmdZViewItem now THAT seems a little steep for a bit of plastic:P

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 19-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-EF-EL-AU...QQcmdZViewItem now THAT seems a little steep for a bit of plastic:P
I personally wouldn't buy one, but those that have them do like them!
Old 20-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I got an xr6T snorkel about a month ago for $41 from ford. Now all I need is a high flow filter and that will do my induction setup for a while. Dont really think its worth spending bucketloads on it for the power increase gained taking in consideration the little amount of power I have anyway I suppose I dont need LOTS of induction anyway if you get what I mean

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

ZHodak just fitted a 9" K&N pod to his car on the weekend, and found not very much difference from a K&N flat panel.

K&N flat panel over standard filter is a bigger difference, and probably all most of us need.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I dont need LOTS of induction anyway if you get what I mean
you can suck well enough for both you and the ute eh? :

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 20-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
falzoony
Rockin '67

GUNEF just fitted that same style SS system to his ef and he swears by it. However he did get that done at the same time he put in a K&N flat panel, so he doesn't really know where the difference is coming from.

I have a XR6T snorkel and a K&N flat panel in my AU and the difference is minimal, but I'd I would definently suggest it.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
you can suck well enough for both you and the ute eh? :
Luke just got : i'll pay that one buddy not bad :P

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 20-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah everybody seems to be happy with the XR larger intake and performance filter but i'm interested to know about the whole G&D type induction also mainly about power increase and generally how the car feels afterwards, but i guess i should put that on hold at least until i lower the ute and put some mags on her.

"i'm so quick i even scare meself" i think thats how it goes anyways haha

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 20-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
yeah everybody seems to be happy with the XR larger intake and performance filter but i'm interested to know about the whole G&D type induction also mainly about power increase and generally how the car feels afterwards, but i guess i should put that on hold at least until i lower the ute and put some mags on her.

"i'm so quick i even scare meself" i think thats how it goes anyways haha
Ok to throw it at you another way - how much air is your engine going to need? If its relatively stock, the stock intake system will do the job fine. If its modded to the hilt, then consider upgrading it to a G&D etc.

Personally I think the stock system is more than adequate with a few upgrades (like bigger snorkel, typhoon intake, K&N etc) for the vast majority of cars. Its only when youre pushing big numbers that youre going to actually NEED a better intake system. Yeah you can put one on for the sake of putting one on but in terms of whether it was money well spent, I reiterate what I said in my above post.
Old 20-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sounds fair so far i've gathered it's more the kind of mod you do to make the most of the rest of the mod's, well like i said anything like that will be a while off yet... the hard top i thought i wanted so bad just keeps getting pushed down the list haha

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 20-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
that sounds fair so far i've gathered it's more the kind of mod you do to make the most of the rest of the mod's, well like i said anything like that will be a while off yet... the hard top i thought i wanted so bad just keeps getting pushed down the list haha
Well to give you an idea, for my ute, the airbox and a retune are basically at the bottom of the list. Mainly to make use of them once everything else is in.

Problem is that list seems to change a hell of a lot :......
Old 20-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ok to throw it at you another way - how much air is your engine going to need? If its relatively stock, the stock intake system will do the job fine. If its modded to the hilt, then consider upgrading it to a G&D etc.

Personally I think the stock system is more than adequate with a few upgrades (like bigger snorkel, typhoon intake, K&N etc) for the vast majority of cars. Its only when youre pushing big numbers that youre going to actually NEED a better intake system. Yeah you can put one on for the sake of putting one on but in terms of whether it was money well spent, I reiterate what I said in my above post.
I was just about to reply in the same vein.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 20-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #21
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I cut a 4 inch hole in the front of my airbox. And went to the wreckers and bought the top of the airbox of an EL. were the maf goes in the piece that the maf bolts to i took it out. 4 little bolts and it fits snuggly in the 4 inch hole. I then put a 3 inch piece of stainless pipe into the new piece and it now has the tickfors snorkel (standard AUXR* one) and the 3 inch pipe sucking from behind the head light. It works well and gives an awsome induction noise. Have notice a big difference in mid range power. Thats what i did anyway.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #22
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anybody got a pic of this G&D intake?
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lueoval
anybody got a pic of this G&D intake?
I do, check the link in my sig. I'd post them up in here but photobucket is down for maintainance atm.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the G&D intake definitely has a better look than standard. bottom line, does it actually increase power? i have decided that the performance filter and snorkel i was planinng to get will suffice, i don't think that with the Eegas you can cut a hole and stick pipe in there. when i serviced my AU after buying it i had the airbox separated and it ran like absolute crap (had it on the hoist not silly enough to drive like that). and with cutting a hole in the bottom won't that mean that your bypassing the filter altogether there? i know it's behind the headlight so it should be clean but still i'd be a little worried about that...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 21-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #25
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

the AUs suck from bottom to top. If you look at your standard one the snorkel goes into the bottom so the air will still flow through the filter. Although if its not an XR the headlight is solid and im not sure if you'd get much air in behind it. The XR's having the 2 lights get heaps of air in behind them. It works supprisingly well. The G&D one will give you a power increase but i understand you get more of an increase in throttle response and fuel economy. The fuel economy you gain it will pay for its self in a matter of months the way fuel is these days.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I found after replacing the pipe from the airbox to the first bend on the intake there was a decent increase in power ... there's a major restriction in the airbox lid bellmouth ... internal diameter is close to 2" .. probably 2.25".

I got rid of this restriction and ran a straight 3" stainless steel pipe to the first bend ... and there was an increase from 112rwkw to 117rwkw (after cam install) ... so that's a 5rwkw increase (on an EGAS model ... that has a 55mm mixer ring restrictor in front of the throttle body too).

Try changing this on a petrol model ... and I'd dare say the increase will be more beneficial. It's a cheap mod as well ... I got my piece of pipe from Ricerbarn for about $30. Cheap for a 5rwkw increase in power.

You can spend more and replace the bend as well with silicon and a 90 deg mandrel piece as well ... and should be able to get more of an increase there as well. I haven't done it as yet as there's a bit of fiddling with cutting an what-not ... but hey ... if you like fiddling with that sort of stuff ... why not.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #27
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I found after replacing the pipe from the airbox to the first bend on the intake there was a decent increase in power ... there's a major restriction in the airbox lid bellmouth ... internal diameter is close to 2" .. probably 2.25".

I got rid of this restriction and ran a straight 3" stainless steel pipe to the first bend ... and there was an increase from 112rwkw to 117rwkw (after cam install) ... so that's a 5rwkw increase (on an EGAS model ... that has a 55mm mixer ring restrictor in front of the throttle body too).

Try changing this on a petrol model ... and I'd dare say the increase will be more beneficial. It's a cheap mod as well ... I got my piece of pipe from Ricerbarn for about $30. Cheap for a 5rwkw increase in power.

You can spend more and replace the bend as well with silicon and a 90 deg mandrel piece as well ... and should be able to get more of an increase there as well. I haven't done it as yet as there's a bit of fiddling with cutting an what-not ... but hey ... if you like fiddling with that sort of stuff ... why not.
damn don't think we have any 3" stainless pipe at work, could've ended up being the cheapest mod i've done. speaking of the mixer ring, you reckon you would be able to get your mechanic to knock up a CAD drawing for me?:P or just a couple sketches and some measurements would be handy, i reckon i could make it relatively easily. might try the pipe this weekend along with a XR snorkel she shoot go much harder :evil3:

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 23-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
kenz
BOSS Pilot

If you make a mixer ring and it works make sure you do a couple so everyone on team 'Egas Ute' has one ;)

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 23-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Putting this question in here so I don't have to start a new thread. I just put my new k&n panel filter in and when I put a bit of throttle into it (so a bit of air gets in it) there is a slight whistle. Is this supposed to happen? Haha I like it, it sounds like a really, really quiet turbo.
Old 23-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
Putting this question in here so I don't have to start a new thread. I just put my new k&n panel filter in and when I put a bit of throttle into it (so a bit of air gets in it) there is a slight whistle. Is this supposed to happen? Haha I like it, it sounds like a really, really quiet turbo.
Yes, it's the sound of the solar winds entering your panel filter. If you like that noise, you should hear the sound a 9" K&N pod makes - about 3 times louder than the panel.