Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
blacklabel

Exclamation Stuck AU sump bolt

Hi all, this probably belongs in "workshop", but figured I might get a better response in "AU".

I'm 2 parts through my 98 AU Futura's "birthday" maintenance service,and after getting all my oil change gear, I have discovered the sump bolt has been done up with 2 washers,and so tight it won't budge.It's a 15mm bolt.
I have already slighlty rounded one flat edge,and don't want to risk rounding it more.I've applied plenty of crc and stuff-but no good.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I might loosen it-without having to put it into the workshop?
Thanks.

blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Maybe go to ricerbarn and grab a can of that freeze spray. Apparently it freeze shocks the metal making it easier to remove.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
blacklabel

Thanks mate- would they have this at supercheap or repco? In in NZ.
Old 18-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Thanks mate- would they have this at supercheap or repco? In in NZ.
Repco is probably your best bet. Be warned though, there is a fair chance that the sump thread will be stripped or at least damaged meaning you will need to get the thread retapped. Same thing happened to mine.
Old 18-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Super Cheap in NZ has it .. PLU *123990

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
blacklabel

Awesome! I'll give it one last go on sunday with this stuff.
Old 18-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
This new job of yours is handy Daniel.
Old 18-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR

Bugger...I've just tried Supercheap and they don't have that code or any product like what we have been talking about.

I have found the aussie site for another product that I'm trying to see if I can get-PBBlaster, a super penetrating catalyst that supposedly leaves crc,wd-40 and everything else for dead.I don't think it's available in NZ though. Here's the aussie details for anyone who also might be interested:
http://www.blastergroup.com.au/products.html
Blaster Group Pty Ltd
Unit 30/8 Victoria Ave
Castle Hill, NSW, 2154

Anyway, googled up some good tips for trying to free stuck bolts,so I will give them a go.I also know now that I should have bought six point spanners and not 12 point-my 12 point ones have just dmaged the bolt more.

Oh well, try again tomorrow.
Old 18-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its $4 for a new sump plug who cares if you round it. get heavy vice grips and set them so you can barely lock them on. They should be so tight that the teeth bight right into the plug and then crack the vice grips with a hammer. works every time. A word of warning from the experienced. if you have to re tap the sump then be real careful to get it 100% at 90 degrees or you will have trouble getting a good seal.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Have you tried putting a ring spanner on it, then hit the end of the spanner with a hammer. It's removed the most stubborn bolts for me.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
XR6Stu

aslo giving the head of the bolt will usually shock it free as well, would be a bit hesitant about doing this with a sump bolt though
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Justin@
Banned

Locking pliers are good for this too, lock em on real tight and turn to get the bolt out. You then just clean up the bolt edges with a file.
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Or just do what I did, and never change your oil yourself again!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

single hex socket on a knuckle bar is the best way to go...give the plug a wack with a hammer 1st....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
blacklabel

Smile Stuck plug update.

Gidday all, thought I'd do a wee update on that stuck sump plug,seeing as it's taken me 2 weekends to finally get it off,after frustratingly giving up on 2 saturdays,and then giving it another go on sundays...(got to watch the footy some time!)

Thanks everyone for the great advice in the replies.There are definitely a few "do's" and a few "don'ts",that might help you get your sump plug off if it's as stuck and buggered as mine was.
Even after severely rounding it-I DID get it off !!

So here's my list of do's and don'ts- that worked for me.

1/ Try "PBBlaster" catalysing agent in a spray can-it's supposed to be the best in freeing stuck/rusted parts etc..I couldn't get hold of it,but it's available in Oz,and is supposed to leave wd40,crc and the like for dead.Spray twice and leave overnight for badly stuck nuts etc..
2/ Use 6 point/Hex spanners-NOT 12 point ring/spanners! The twelve point ones just damage and round the head.If you have to go out and buy one just to fit -do it, it will save you a lot of grief!(and get as long a one as you can find,for extra leverage)
3/ Don't use crescent spanners-they just don't lock tight enough.Also be weary about using vice-grips too,the jaws are curved and I found they just wouldn't lock enough and actually rounded the head more.

Obviously,like me,if the above hasn't worked then you have a badly damaged/rounded sump plug head.
4/ One more thing you can try at this point is a small,narrow jawed pipe wrench.12inch is about the biggest you can get away with because the jaw ends will hit the sump with any bigger ones.This didn't work for me,but apparently it's a good show at loosening a rounded head-after all,pipe wrenches are designed to grip round smooth surfaces-worth a shot,after all the plug is already badly rounded!

Ok,so now I am tearing my hair out-wishing I hadn't used those damn 12 point ring spanners-they just wrecked the head so bad,nothing else worked.
5/ Final shot-and this worked for me.I bought a couple of small triangle-files and filed all my damaged sides flat again,and down to the next hex spanner size.Took me over an hour,but was worth it.
The sump plug head on my AU was 15mm,so I filed to 14mm- tapped the spanner on with a hammer so it was a super tight fit-gave it a modest wack with a hammer,and FINALLY it was off!

I gave the new plug a damn good coating of beeswax before I put it on.
As already suggested,you can use heat/cold to free a seized or stuck nut/bolt but I reckon if you use the right spanner to start with (6 sided plug,so 6 point/hex spanner)-then you won't have the problems I had.

I've never got as pleasure from seeing dirty oil flowing out of my sump as this...lol
Old 25-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

If mine was that stuck i would have given up a while back and just welded on another nut and the heat from the weld would have shrunk the bolt a tad and use the new nut to put a nice single hex socket on it, replaced the sump plug with a new one and be done with it.

Sounds like you had it tough but as long as you got it all off in the end and havent damaged anything then its turned out ok.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
XR6Stu

Uhh Im liking the theory, but heat expands metal. Woulda made it harder to undo. If you had of waved an oxy torch over the rest of the sump surrounding the bolt, that probably woulda helped a bit. May not have done the sump much good, but you would have gotten your bolt out.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Sounds like you were on a mission there, I would've given up long ago!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Man you are committed, no way would I have persevered for so long. I would have just taken it somewhere to get fixed.
Old 26-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #20
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol that is one tough bolt.
I had this problem once before and the vice grips were the ticket - just make sure they are good quality ones that will actually cut into the bolt with their teeth.

I'm going to have this problem on my transmission fill plug when I finally get around to topping it up.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post