Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #31
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i have a quick question. Can someone point me in the direction of a 'how to' on swapping a cam over on the I6? Just wondering how hard it is, and if i can tackle it myself?

Evan
Easy enough with a good set of directions. This was the job that prompted me to invest around $50 in a manual. If you can't find anything I'll see what tips I can post. You'll need a 3mm hex wrench (allan key) as well as the usual assortment of spanners & sockets.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
The Monty
Just slidin'

Just been talking to Surecam, to enquire about the cam Stav and Paul use.
Cant get one :(
The price is right, the specs are right, but there is STILL no billet coming in from the states.
Apparently the last shipment, was all to EA spec, not AU spec, so there isnt going to be any till around February!!!!
Now I dont know what to do.
Maybe the DEV 5, as its kinda big, but I dont know.
I wanted this cam, lol, dammit!!!
Old 20-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #33
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

O.K. Well if you can get E-series Billet cam then
Change your Rocker Gear to E-series Rockers and Get
A E-series Cam ..

Yes you will go from 2.0 to a 1.8 rocker ratio
Will it make any difference .... No it will not.

What it will do is open up your choice of cams as well.
Old 20-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #34
stiddy
Banned

Well even though my car is still off the road, ive put in a cam.. a BIG cam.. makes stav's one sound like a standard forte cam.
IT doesnt idle and it spins its *** off all day long if you crank it over 4000rpm in the first 3 gears.
When its warm it will idle when it feels like it, but it loaps between around 600 and 1300rpm.. its way lumpy, its pretty much maxed out the rockers. Its a Surecam.

Its still untuned and has no extractors yet.. so with extractors and edit it will be an animal. Its a very angry 6. If anything its too lumpy. Although the car feels like it used to until 3500rpm.. and then a sudden rush of power comes on and it starts to wheelspin, it never used to do that. I love it lol.
The sound of it is just something out of this world, it was unique before, now its just something never heard before.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #35
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Well even though my car is still off the road, ive put in a cam.. a BIG cam.. makes stav's one sound like a standard forte cam.
IT doesnt idle and it spins its *** off all day long if you crank it over 4000rpm in the first 3 gears.
When its warm it will idle when it feels like it, but it loaps between around 600 and 1300rpm.. its way lumpy, its pretty much maxed out the rockers. Its a Surecam.

Its still untuned and has no extractors yet.. so with extractors and edit it will be an animal. Its a very angry 6. If anything its too lumpy. Although the car feels like it used to until 3500rpm.. and then a sudden rush of power comes on and it starts to wheelspin, it never used to do that. I love it lol.
The sound of it is just something out of this world, it was unique before, now its just something never heard before.
well, now you got our attention .whats the specs on this cam ?
are you running it with the standard valve springs?
is it a billet or regrind?
is it a speedway cam???
sounds good ,but if you can get it to idle without a chip,i'm a bit optamistic,unless you've wound your idle screw in a bit
Old 20-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #36
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
O.K. Well if you can get E-series Billet cam then
Change your Rocker Gear to E-series Rockers and Get
A E-series Cam ..

Yes you will go from 2.0 to a 1.8 rocker ratio
Will it make any difference .... No it will not.

What it will do is open up your choice of cams as well.
will E series rocker gear bolt onto an au head ???
Old 20-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am running a similar grind to the Crescent Motorsport Stg 2 cam ... just different lobe separation for LPG.

Only a mild cam and set up for higher torque at lower revs (dialled in deliberately that way for my work).

Has a nice lope at idle now ... and sounds much deeper now. People keep commenting on how nice my V8 ute sounds ... I have to keep telling them it's a non-injected LPG 6 cylinder.

Although I found mine is still making power at cut-out.

Not sure on maximum torque ... had a bit of a drop at the 80km/h ramp speed ... need to fix AFRs now to smooth it out ... currently running 12:1 all the way through the range.

One good thing about the EGAS engine ... it's not as controlled by the ECU as petrol versions are ... so mine seems to be running quite well untuned.

Joe is currently working his way around getting both his Stg 2 and Stg 3 E-series grinds sorts for the AUs ... but an EDIT in needed for it to run nicely. Factory tune will make adjustments to compensate for the different cam and it will end up feeling the same as the stock cam eventually.

I have had this cam in for a few months now ... and it has been running great untuned (that's next on the cards though). Only downside I can think of is it uses a bit more gas than it used to in traffic (although I think that is my right foot though) ... on the highway I doubt there is that much of a difference ... might be better on longer trips.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I have a set of 32 lb F6 injectors. Unsure if theyll work in the au, but the Mong uses them, so I dont see why not.
Hopefully theyll be able to supply the fuel Ill need.
They will be good with a tune.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:11 PM   #39
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:

Sounds like a race cam in there..heheh

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 22-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #40
stiddy
Banned

lol Close enough to a race cam, 565 degree lift, at 300 degree duration something very similar to that, im not telling you all exactly what it is, thats cheating lol..
The limiter need to be bumped up to 7200rpm.
I havnt touched anything, all I did was whack the cam in didnt adjust anything, its needs the edit and a vernier gear.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #41
Stav
Smile

You're mad as a cut snake but we think you're alright

Old 22-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #42
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
565 degree lift
Que? (I suppose you're too young to remember Fawlty Towers...)

Perhaps that's 0.565" lift?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post