Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Default Limp Home Mode?

Hey Guys

so i finally got my lazy around to gettin me momo wheel on today. I drop it off at ultratune and head into work. Get a call a few hours later, they broke the torx bit and need to order a new one, none in Darwin, gotta come from SA, come back Thursday. ok, i get the car, they apologise, i leave.

5 mins later as im slowing to turn left, i brake clutch in swear as the revs drop to 150 - 200 and the car shudders, i think, turn left, cant stop here. Damn, hard as to turn, so i think power steering pump, fight the car to the left, hit the hazards, look at the dash, revs bouncing from 1000 to 150 - 200, Batt and Oil lights on, car dies. , WTF is wrong, they didnt even do anything.

So i turn the key, car starts not a problem, so im thinkin, cant be the battery, car kicked over straight away like always. i move off about 100m into a car park cars fine, chuck a 180 same problem, no power steering, same lights, revs lower, car shudders, dies.

call ultratune, they tell me to bring it back and they'll scan it tomorrow morning and see what codes it comes up with, but im assuming this would be the ECU going into limp home mode.

CAN LHM be activated but a short or elecrtical surge when they disconnected or reconneted the battery when attempting to remove the stock wheel? or something more sinister?

Cheers guys

Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Limp Home Mode is really only for auto's where it locks into 3d gear.

If you are referring to the engine partially shutting down due to a overheating issue than yes, its concievable it could happen due to some sort of short "fooling" the ECU into thinking the engine is overheating.
This is not the symptoms you have though. The first thing you will notice in an AU I6 that is overheating is the ECU increases idle speed to around 1100-1500rpm to prevent stalling.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
aye you
The Origional, The Best

hmmm, any ideas then. im really hoping this is not gonna cost heaps to fix

Old 24-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Limp Home Mode is really only for auto's where it locks into 3d gear.
limp mode also impacts on the engine too allowing it to run when there is a fault the transmission is the most noticeable part of this but not the only part
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
blu falc
acclaimed user

does it do the same thing when you turn the wheels on the spot with the car in neutral?
blu falc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
aye you
The Origional, The Best

it did. Problems been solved. cause they had the battery d/c for so long the computer needed to be retaught

Old 26-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
partie

thats the first time i have come across this problem.

i have had car's with their battery disconnected for a over a month, never did the computer need re-learning.
partie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post