Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
lyonsy

Default nc 5L fairlane adv

iam looking at buying for the right price a 94 nc fairlane giah 5L.
its not bad but km are getting up there at 290'000 on the 5L and auto
here's the problems it has
i cant see a coolant leak and it has a new water pump and looks like a new timing cover but i can smell coolant burning possible head gasket? dident get hot
auto when cold shifts fairly hard till its warmed up oil condition is good does it just need a service?
it has a slow leaking rear main seal doesent drop oil but has made the bellhousing oily
everything in the interia works but the front seat backs have around 2in of free travel
the l/h rear lec window is stuff and whouldent wind back up
the l/h front dident even work
the r/h one sorta worked
climate control works magic with everything working.
it needs shockers all round
abs works but pedal slowly goes to floor when activating is this normal.
engine idles smooth has no knocks or rattles doesent blow smoke or seem to breath.

other problem is it has had what looks like a shoping car accident with the r/h rear which broke the lense and barly rippled the 1/4 panel but has droped the rear bar of its mount (the plastic outer)
previous owner also dident wash of some bird crap which has eaten into the clear down to the paint
but it steers good, goes good, stops good, sounds like a v8 if very muffled doesent look to bad.
and for the price i dont think ill do much better at $1800 no reg no rwc

lyonsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

ok, with the electrics it could be as simple as spraying some WD40 on the switches, then again it could be the switches/motors themself $$$$

as with the shocks theres $300 if you can do it yourself or double that if you cant. and if shocks are dead then maybe other things like ball joints, sagging springs and bushes might be worn, then again they might not be.

personally id get a compression check on the motor/cooling system before buying.

EDIT: when ABS is activated the pedal should pulsate quickly BUT NOT go to the floor. if it does it sounds like the master cylinder is stuffed

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Is it free? because honestly, it sounds like a rolling bag of shitt.
But if you are keen, check out the inlet hose just above the water pump, they can split and be a bugger to find a replacement...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Citizen
My other car is a car

double post :

EA Fairmont Ghia 5sp Manual

Dual Fuel
Extractors & 2.5" Cat-back exhaust
Herrod stage 2 cam
XH snorkel, K&N panel filter

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Citizen
My other car is a car

Mate i know you can do a LOT better for $1800.

Check this out from the for sale section of the forums, another NC V8, just been dropped to $1500.

EA Fairmont Ghia 5sp Manual

Dual Fuel
Extractors & 2.5" Cat-back exhaust
Herrod stage 2 cam
XH snorkel, K&N panel filter

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
Is it free? because honestly, it sounds like a rolling bag of shitt.
But if you are keen, check out the inlet hose just above the water pump, they can split and be a bugger to find a replacement...
LMFAO thats what i wanted to say but i didnt want to be rude. though i put it the best i could :evil3:

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post