Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Angry Car just set itself on fire!

So im sitting in the drive through at red rooster waiting to get some dinner when i suddenly smell a strong sweet smoke smell, ay first i though it was coming from the shop (the drive through goes past the big extractor fans) but then i see smoke coming out the side of my bonnet. Needless to say it scared the hell out of me, luckily no one was behind me so i reversed out and parked it up.
By now the smoke is pouring out and i'm starting to panic! This is where i discover how bloody hard it is to open a bonnet when ones under a bit of pressure..... I finally get it open and one of the thermo fans is belting smoke out...Luckily i had a bottle of water with me so i managed to get it under control. I know its not a good idea to put out electrical fires with water, even 12 volts...bloody hope i didn't fry anything....still shaking

DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nhope there's not too much damage
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Just had a look, the thermo is screwed obviously.....got me buggered as to why it did that... was only a little fire but at the time...geez i dunno got the adrenalin running to say the least.
Old 25-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

I bet it got ya going lol, did you get any pics of the damage?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
XR6Stu

I had a 'fire' incident recently and it sure does get you shaking. Also same at work (panel beater) if your welding and something catches fire, youd be surprised how hard it is to put a fire out under pressure! Hope the car comes up ok!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I decided to get an extinguisher for the work ute ... you just never know what might happen ... especially with a hell of a lot of electricals on the vehicle.

Haven't needed it yet though ... touch wood.

only about $20-odd from Supercheap.

For new thermos ... www.ozeparts.com.au has them for about $150 for the full replacement set if you need some.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I decided to get an extinguisher for the work ute ... you just never know what might happen ... especially with a hell of a lot of electricals on the vehicle.

Haven't needed it yet though ... touch wood.

only about $20-odd from Supercheap.

For new thermos ... www.ozeparts.com.au has them for about $150 for the full replacement set if you need some.

I might invest in one I think, $20 is some cheap insurance, just in case. And with all the electricals nowadays, I can see this happening.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if u put a fire extinguisher in your car it also lowers your insurance...
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
blacklabel

That must have really put the wind up you! Hot electrical smells and petrol smells are probably the two most alarming sort of smells you don't want in your car!
(apart from the ones that come after too many beers and cheeseburgers...)
Glad it didn't turn into a nasty engine fire for you-now that would be really scary!
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'm really surprised it happened... i thought the Thermo fans lasted longer than that... Food for thought though for others... and the Fire Extinguisher is a great investment, but where does everyone suggest putting it for quick access? i was thinking just behind the fold down seats in my sedan...
Old 25-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
No Judge
That's Numberwang!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Where does everyone suggest putting it for quick access? i was thinking just behind the fold down seats in my sedan...

If you don't mind looking at the extinguisher, a bracket can be made up so the extinguisher mounts to the front passenger seat railings. The extinguisher will then sit below the front edge of the passenger seat. Plenty of room for a small extinguisher (Mum has one in her company-car BA)

FAIRMONT GHIA: SO GOOD, THEY NAMED THEY NEW FALCON AFTER 'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Nah the roads to high, your car can never be to low lol
No Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Know the feeling... had this happen in my old Gemini after I was sold the WRONG GRADE wire (I made one mistake: I trusted a supersh!te store employee to get me the right stuff). The dashboard electrics basically started smouldering then smoked like no tomorrow. Luckily I was able to pull the battery terminal off and stop the fire from taking the whole car with it.

The thing about under bonnet fires is that you really shouldn't open the bonnet ( I know its easier to say than do ) because you're only going to make it worse and possibly hurt yourself.

I think fire extinguishers are a great idea, if not for your vehicle but for someone else's. I imagine it would be quite bad seeing some person burn to death after getting trapped in a wrecked car. If you had a fire extinguisher you could save not only your life but that of another.
Old 25-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Thanks for the replies guys, the fan is siezed so yeah i'm going to need a new one.
Seriously considering a fire extinguisher now, just a small CO 2 one would probably do.
Old 25-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Yeah they are good and cheap! I got mine from supercheap for $25 its one of the small ones.
Its fitted to my boot incase of any emergency! I was a little concerned with all the stuff going on in my engine bay thought id be safe then sorry.

Good luck with it anyways mate! Glad to hear it wasnt too major..
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post