Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
damo03
BBQ gas User

Default performance difference in ef wagon's

G'day fellas.

Been considering buying a station wagon to better suit my needs and the EF's are in my price range and i like them (nice but not too expensive), but I am unsure on the performance differance between the auto's and manuals (rare as hell)!

I want a wagon on gas so this makes the searching for a wagon on gas and a manual even harder. I know with the old 3 speeds there is a hang of a performance diff between the 3 slushies and the t5 (esp after driving a 94 manual ute) but i dunno about the newer 4 speed auto boxes.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference in performance and wear and tear , and if it's worth it hanging out for a manual? I know i can do a conversion, but i would prefer to buy one stock if i can.

cheers...

Damo
Old 31-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

the 3 speeds were only in the early EA's from factory.

T5 Conversions are supossed to be easy. =\
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

Just buy a cheap ef wagon, you can pick them up around the $1900 -$3000 mark now around Melb (research well). Then just go ahead and do a manual conversion. You will probably find in a cheap EF, the auto wear and tear is great and good luck finding a factory manual ef wagon. The manual is way more fun to drive, even on a stock engine.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
damo03
BBQ gas User

cheers....even so, with the 4 speed autos have you guys that have converted to manuals experienced more accelleration? how does fuel econemy go?
Old 31-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

5 speed manual will out accelerate a 4 speed auto.
there is a fair difference.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I would say the manual conversion would be justified on "driving fun" grounds, I don't think there is much in it for fuel use. Regarding acceleration at a rough guess the manual would be a bit over 1/2 a sec quicker over the quarter mile.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

Trust me, my brother's old four speed EF wagon goes like the bloody clappers. Certainly gave my ED a whooping off the line!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Finding a 4spd Auto EF Wagon with gas should be possible.

A manual wagon that will be hard to find. REALLY HARD.

The manuals will be much faster than the auto though.

Get a 4spd Auto all EF's have them and it will be quite economical driven sensibly.

The wagon is heavy and will not make a economical car in any way on ULP no matter what. On LPG the cost is quite low to run but they are still not very economical.

LPG mixers tend to restrict the inlet and kill high rpm performance of these engines.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Get a wagon on gas and put in the manual. Mine goes heaps better with the manual in it no questions asked.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Trust me, my brother's old four speed EF wagon goes like the bloody clappers. Certainly gave my ED a whooping off the line!!
i have a feeling that if you get yourself a wagon on gas, that its not going to go anywhere near as good as your hoping. my wagon is on gas, and i put an EL motor in it (albeit it being still CFi) and its slow as a wet week! the problem, in my view anyway, is that the gas tank in most wagons i have seen (including mine) is put in the spare tyre well under the boot floor. this means that the tank hangs right over the diff. and i was told that with a full load of gas, it weighs 120kg. add that and the fact that gas doesnt go as hard in the first place, and i dont think there will be very much in the ways of acceleration.
if anyone else can clear this up, i have no problem in being proven wrong, but thats why i have been led to believe.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
damo03
BBQ gas User

Thanks guys.

I'll keep a look out for a ef wagon on gas and maybe convert it later. trueblueford.com states that the wagon is only 64 kg heavier than the sedan. I guess with gas tank to boot it would be a bit slower though.

Damo
Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

I cannot make one complaint, goes like shit of a shovel, f'n hammers over the auto, even when I had the 2800rpm stall kit, I think I could still out do the auto.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post