Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Big end power vs lower power & 1/4 mile.

Playing with the wagon as usual and decided to advance the cam a few degrees to get some more low down vacuum. It worked. The throttle response is alot better and it feels as if it accelerates faster.What is better to have 5 rwkws more up top or 5rwkws across a broaded rpm down low? What will get me down the 1/4 quicker?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Stav, we are in the same boat.
Personally i think that top end power will benift because on the strip most cars sit from 4500 onwards for 90% of the run.

I am going to heathcote tomorow and i will bring a few tools and want to run my car as is and then retard my cam and see how i go, im just worried about it running lean, and how much i should retard it.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stav,this is something i've been doing a lot of thinking about lately to.
advancing the cam makes the car so much better to drive on the street,wich is definately a plus.

i think where you set your cam has a lot to do with what rpm its making its peak power and what your rpm limit is set at.
i have found with my cam the best results i have achieved is with the cam advanced 5*.with the cam advanced you may loose a couple of kws up top but you pick them back up down the rev range.
my car as is with the cam set @ 0* makes its peak power 150.6rwk @ 5600 rpm (rpm limit is @5900rpm)but its only making 137rwk @ 4500rpmwhere it ends up starting from when i change gear.when you advance the cam you will loose some of that topend power but pick up more than enough to cover it down lower in the rev range.so when you change gears you have a more usable spread of power.
but in saying that ,increasing your rpm limit will have the same effect.you will just have more usable topend power.
as for wich works best i'm still working on it
Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
Stav, we are in the same boat.
Personally i think that top end power will benift because on the strip most cars sit from 4500 onwards for 90% of the run.

I am going to heathcote tomorow and i will bring a few tools and want to run my car as is and then retard my cam and see how i go, im just worried about it running lean, and how much i should retard it.

when i had my unichip ,i played with the cam timing and tried everywhere from 5* advanced to 5* retarded.without any probs.just make sure your got good fuel in it
Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I remember talking to you via pm some time ago.in the end I put the cam timing at 0 and the car pulled its 14.7 with the dev 4 cam . Now with the headwork and big cam I have advanced the cam in the past few days and its going somewhat better on the street. It is revving harder. I have o say though that the power feels a bit down. After so much playing with the car I can by the seat of my pants know when the car has more power. The car has less but the drive is a lot more torquier. I suppose it goes hand in hand with the theory. I am seriously thinking of a 4000 stall converter and retard this puppy.I hope its streetable..lol.

If I retard this setup then peak torque should move up the rev range and I should have more available. This is a big decision . I can stick with what I have got and keep it very drivable and use the available torque or retard this get more power /torque and stall it higher. I have to think what I want to happen to this car. A ball tearer street car or quarter mile killer.I also have a third option. I can retard this cam and run it at the track as is and hope it gets into the power band.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
SIKSIX
Its gone V

just to make sure retarding the cam means moving the cam anti-clockwise, cause i got some spare time and might do it soon.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

If you do it make sure you have a socket that will turn the whole engine via the crankshaft once your done.Take out the plugs and rotate the engine several times so the pistons and valves don't hit. I learnt this the hard way when I blew my first engine.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Playing with the wagon as usual and decided to advance the cam a few degrees to get some more low down vacuum. It worked. The throttle response is alot better and it feels as if it accelerates faster.What is better to have 5 rwkws more up top or 5rwkws across a broaded rpm down low? What will get me down the 1/4 quicker?
I have had mine adjusted to bring more power back down the rev range ... into a more usable area ... and also bring on the torque MUCH lower as well. Aids in drivability as well. Also seeing as I don't rev the guts out of the work ute and being on the road for work loaded up ... this helped considerably for me ... bringing peak torque on around 1700-1800rpm made a huge difference.

Joe has been doing this with a few of the E-series he has been working on ... and dropping a about 5-6rwkw from the top end ... it actually aided in better launching and more torque off the line as well .... and there was a drop in 1/4 times due to this as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

This is interesting.there are 2 theories to the story.You have just introduced rock hard proof. Last night after alot of reading I was of the idea that more power and higher rev limit should see an even quicker time. However the facts seem as plain as bread and butter. Its about getting in front staying in front firstly and then if you have a bit more top end power down the straight then thats a bonus.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also makes for the more streetable vehicle too.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

I am going to gtech the car soon to see what works better.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

give it a go ... no harm in trying really.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

with an auto, an advanced cam is probably the way to go. with my 1521a cam, and an auto, i had the cam set at 1 degree retarded and it was a slug to get moving but pulled hard to the limiter. now with it set at 4 degrees advanced, the take off is great, and power only drops off a little bit from 5000rpm onwards. much more usuable and i think would work better over a whole 1/4 mile.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
This is interesting.there are 2 theories to the story.You have just introduced rock hard proof. Last night after alot of reading I was of the idea that more power and higher rev limit should see an even quicker time. However the facts seem as plain as bread and butter. Its about getting in front staying in front firstly and then if you have a bit more top end power down the straight then thats a bonus.
this is where it gets a bit tricky in working out which way to go is best.
my theory is ,if you have short diff gears fitted and stally to match where your power is starting to come on....this is the big part ,providing you can get it to hook up off the line ,running the higher rpm powercurve should produce better results at the track.
i'l post some timeslips and see what you can work out.
the slips i ran as car 576 was with the cam advanced 2* and the slips with 762 are with the cam advanced 5*,these were run the same night as my pb.
the 897 one is with the cam set @ 0*.i'm realy only posting this one for the 60ty ,on this run the 1st for the night the car picked up a knock sensor and went down hill from there.
all these runs were done with the car setup exactly the same.only difference being the cam timing.except the 897 one this was before i had chiptorque take some timing out .
Old 11-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres the rest
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...carbits061.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...carbits060.jpg

Last edited by FS5; 11-11-2007 at 04:13 PM.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

The gtech and then the track will sort out the truth.