Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
CruizinEB
Banned

Exclamation K&N Air Filter On EBII

G'day Guys

I was thinking of renewing the filter in the air box & i was wundering do K&N have a filter sutable , How much & are they better then the origenal one????
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I believe they do make them, the cost is around $30-40 if memory serves (I could be way off though).

Most people go the pod filter route, and a custom cold air set-up done properly will yield far better results than any replacement air filter. Good luck with it.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

yes k&n make the filters for our cars but as jack i dont know the prices,
i would also recomend just removing tha air box and putting in a pod filter, maybe lead the intake into the front bar vent should make the car more responsive, and i think there is a gain in kw's aswell (i think about 5kw or something)

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

DON'T take your air box out, it'll suck hot air in.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

The K&N panel can be found for around $100 if it is on special. A pod filter is optimal, but you would want one set up in a cold air box, not just sitting there. The best thing about the panel is that it is cleanable, and perhaps gives you slightly better throttle response.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
the cost is around $30-40 if memory serves (I could be way off though).
Yep, you're way off. I paid about $120 for mine, although they can usually be had for around $100 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

ive heard many times over and over k&n's dont do much for $100 or so bucks, prob better off putting the money towards an exhaust (or many other parts) if u dont have one....
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
CruizinEB
Banned

What would be the best standed filter???
Old 08-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Do the car maintenance properly and get a good filter by all means but save the bucks for performace mods to buy something that WILL make a difference.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
CruizinEB
Banned

But its About the $$$
Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

i have a k&n filter to suit ur car that came out of my old car for sale $60 + postage though i noticed that ur in WA so postage may not b worth it
Old 08-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got a K&N pod filter...havent tried it yet as car isnt up and runnign yet, but is it ok to sit it without a air box on the far right hand side (oposite batterys side) out of the way as i dont have a airbox ...or should i invest in getting a air box?
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

The point to the airbox is so that cold air coming through the snorkel (albeit a tad restricted) can pass through a large surface area filter (panel filter... in the airbox!) so that the filter's restriction is minimised twofold.

1) Larger surface area meaning more air can pass through at once.
2) Air speed in airbox is slower than in pipe. The filter won't have as much of a retarding effect on the speed of the air passing through it. Or at least I think this is the case.

Then again having something like a pod through the inner guard behind your bumper would give more flow

A pod in the engine bay is silly though, it'll only be sucking in hot air.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

BTW Grechie, wouldn't you already have an airbox? (unless you have CFI, or your car <assuming MPFI E-Series> came without one for some reason?)
Old 08-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

dunno what the best standard filters would be but motorcraft or purolater would be my choice
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #16
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
BTW Grechie, wouldn't you already have an airbox? (unless you have CFI, or your car <assuming MPFI E-Series> came without one for some reason?)

lol yeh we stripped a EBII GLI and i managed to find the top of the box with snorkel, but not bottom...it was a EACFI 1989, now modded to a EBII 4.0L, everythigns EBII cept if u can tell by looking at the shell(no side indicators) thats the only thing, everythgins EB lights, fuel pump, dash, wiring, ecu, engine, everything , oh wait, the shell and the the ea fairmont ghia interior ;)
Old 08-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #17
Damo
Banned

i paid like $5 for the bottom half of an EA air box, from pik a part.

On another note, I tried the pod filter on my EA tonight with no airbox, car was noticably slower, and the induction noise, although better was nothing special. I've got a new airfilter (panel) so i'll put my airbox back in tommorrow.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #18
sbcb
BA Xr8

Don't be fixed on a K&N panel filter, they just have a name that inflates the price. I used to have an AU Futura and replaced the old paper filter (very good at filtering crap out of the air BUT very restrictive) with a french company cotton filter - J & R or J R something like that, point is it cost half to 2/3 the price of the big K&N brand name and did the same job. Didn't notice too much difference in grunt BUT the distance till empty (DTE) computer consistently read 30-50km more distance on every tank! huge improvement that is actually measured by the cars computer, not just me saying what I think it does.

Get a cotton panel filter, it dosn't have to be K&N though.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #19
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeap I agree with the no K&N story.

I was told that K&N basically had some kind of copyright or alike on the filters and that it wasn't untill a couple of years ago that it was lifted. So, the market has now flooded with filters that do exactly the same thing but cheaper.

The guy who owns the place I got my exhaust done told me this, and he stocks lots of brands including K&N
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #20
Jonesy351

HEY,, i've got an ef fairmont,, i placed a pod filter instead of the box,, ive noticed a considerable power gain without the box,, however i did fabricate extra hosing to allow the filter to sit in the far corner (away from engine), and extended the snorkel so that the air coming thru the intake is ramed straight up the middle of the pod filter.. maybe it is sucking in warm air aswell,, but sh*t,, my car has heaps better lift with the custom setup i'm runnin and doesnt look dodge,, but mister piggy will still yellow licky me if he saw it,, but ive been on the road three years now and never been asked to look under my hood.. touch wood.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
lol yeh we stripped a EBII GLI and i managed to find the top of the box with snorkel, but not bottom...it was a EACFI 1989, now modded to a EBII 4.0L, everythigns EBII cept if u can tell by looking at the shell(no side indicators) thats the only thing, everythgins EB lights, fuel pump, dash, wiring, ecu, engine, everything , oh wait, the shell and the the ea fairmont ghia interior ;)
Ahh, makes sense Sounds like you've put a fair amount of effort into the EA then
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #22
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wrong Post..

Last edited by Grechie; 12-06-2005 at 06:27 PM.