Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #31
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god, its the same thing everything month for you all, a new mag a new lot of whingers.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

these magazines just like to stir the pot
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #33
Steffo
LPG > You

What I don't get is how the Maloo could gain 115kW and 178Nm, only to run stock times... and the XR8 could gain 130kW and somehow not get any torque... and become slower then a stock AUIII XR8 220. Something doesn't compute...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #34
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I stopped buying car mags about 12mths ago, I don't even bother going into the newsagent to flick through them anymore...it's become just another form of advertising with a few articles and road tests which are about as accurate as the nightly news.

In regards to this 390kW XR8 having only 500Nm, they might be able to trick a 10yo kid with that but I'm sitting here trying to contain my laughter......maybe they meant 800Nm...

BTW, newspaper and magazine readership is actually on the decline thanks to the good ol' internet and it's sidekick Google.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Another thing that annoyed me was the little couple of paragraphs about Fords new facilities at the proving ground, stamping plant and PD that was in the editors comments bit at the front. I don't know if they will go into more detail next month but they even had an official pic of a camoed Orion and it didn't even get mentioned. Yet when Holdens proving ground had its 50th anniversary they had a huge write up about it of 5-6 pages. Anything Holden get huge coverage and anything Ford gets next to nothing. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #36
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

power is calculated from torque measurements on any dyno Therefore you cant have an increase in power without an increase in torque. At best its a misprint
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
power is calculated from torque measurements on any dyno Therefore you cant have an increase in power without an increase in torque. At best its a misprint
You can have an increase in power without increasing torque... but not that dramatic... from a blower.

Examples would the the 1989 Ferrari F348tb (224kW 323Nm 3.4 V8) and 1993 Ferrari F348 GTB (239kW 323Nm 3.4 V8). 15kW gain with no change in torque out put, but peak went up from 4200rpm to 5000rpm from tb to GTB. That's nothing like going from 260kW 500Nm N/A to 390kW 500Nm Blown though... which seems impossible.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #38
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to the conspiracy theorists:

Id say the 500nm figure for the XR8 maybe because the engine has not been pulled out and put on a engine dyno, and rear wheel torque figures are stupidly high, rather than WP's engines, who may have had one of there charged engines out(being a semi-official holden partner and all)

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #39
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon

Holden SS ute out handle F6 R-Spec?
It wouldn't surprise me. They really are a nicely balanced car to drive and from what I here, the ute is just as good.
Old 13-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #40
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
Not saying this is a not a misprint but, HP is a calculation of Torque x RPM so yes you can have an increase of HP without an increase in torque, by increasing the RPMs. in fact you can even have drop in torque and an increase in HP.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #41
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
the test was in the wet never gunna get times doing that . i was surprised they even printed it . may as well say id fall faster if i didnt have a parachute on .idiots first time ive bought it in a long time but will be even longer before i will again

I've read the whole story. It's just another "MOTOR" infomercial for Holden.
It was a wet track and the only reason the Holden got a "better" 1/4 mile time was that it has 22" wheels (less slippage). We all know how hard it is to get a car with a bit of grunt off the line when it's wet.

I might add the front cover showed both vehicles, but wait ... the Maloo image was in front of the XR8 image and twice as big ... funny about that.

Had to laugh though ... a reader's letter complained about the predominance of Holden front covers.

I don't usually buy this extension of Holden publicity masquerading as a motor magazine, but I've been laid up with a crook back and asked my wife to buy me something to read. LOL.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #42
WASP
Whipple Induced

I know nothing of this article or Herrods involvement but based on what I have read here I would assume if the XR8 Ute was supplied by Herrod, it maybe their work vehicle which is a standard XR8 with the base Y/T kit on it running around 6psi and around 280-290rwkw's and between 5500-6000Nm of 'rear wheel' tractive effort from around 2000rpm. Factory figures are quoted at the flywheel. The car I think is a manual and would be quite a challenge to get the power down with so much low down torque on street tyres (in the wet to!). Did MOTOR quote the MPH? I can't speak for the Maloo but supercharging a stock 6lt would generally produce more power & torque than a stock 260/290 all things being equal and ADR compliant.

Last edited by WASP; 13-01-2008 at 10:39 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #43
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6

And what the hell was with the 500Nm XR8? Maybe that's at the wheels..
Torque would be multiplied by the time it gets to the wheels.

I don't believe it's Holden bias, as it was the same story when the BA came out. Again it is the same old shiit, slow times, and, after buying the Jan issue, buggered up ratings of the cars (one of the journos reckons an Maloo is a better performance car than the new M3?!?! What a crock). Similar story when the BA first came out - GT v Clubby, FPV wins, and few months later, the same test, but the HSV wins. All in the name of sales, while their credibility goes down the shitter.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #44
theunfairadvant

Wheels mag is better.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #45
56L
a.k.a PAULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
XR8 IS 260KW The Maloo is what how much?
Shouldn't they be comparing a Super Pursuit to a Maloo?
I can remember MOTOR mag testing an auto pursuit250 against a Holden/CSV special vehicle ute because holden or motor mag refused to do a test between the pursuit250 and maloo.
The funny thing is that the pursuit 250 beat it haha

looks like nothing has changed over the years with GMH/MOTOR mag
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #46
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
but what tipped it over the edge for me was when the same bloke wrote 2 articles in 1 issue.
1 article "The F6 R-Spec is definately not a racer and is not good around a track blah blah", ok fair enough, a few pages over.
"The handling on the new Holden ute is supurb, its like a proper track car"....... Wtf? Holden SS ute out handle F6 R-Spec?
Maybe you and they were expecting too much out of the R-spec. FPV were claiming a 3 second improvement at Winton with the R-spec dampers. You would have to assume that FPV provided the best vehicle they could for testing and Warren Luff would drive it as hard as he could (he knows who pays his salary).

So were did the improved times go? Was the test car not up to scratch, had it been thrashed by a string of motoring journos and now wasn’t at it’s healthiest?

I will be interested in seeing any times for an FPV Territory around there – it is meant to be 6 seconds slower than a Typhoon – so 1:49’s should be easy.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #47
TadKa
Wait? What?

How disgusting is that bonnet growth Uncle Tom puts on his cars. I couldnt stand having to look at that. I'd throw up.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #48
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theyve done these articles to the death already! why wont they let them rest in peace?

13.3 for a 422kw maloo doesnt sound right.. especially sicne the GTS does the same stock!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #49
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
How disgusting is that bonnet growth Uncle Tom puts on his cars. I couldnt stand having to look at that. I'd throw up.
The funny thing about that growth is, Tom doesnt like it either.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post