Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Have You Heard of SKYPE?

Hi All,
Has anybody heard of or use SKYPE, which is in internet based phone service?
You can call anybody, Broadband to Broadband, for as long as you like Free Of Charge! For a small fee, 10c I believe, you can call anywhere free! :sm_headba It was apparently on Sunrise this morning.
All you do is download a 6.3meg file and follow the prompts to set it up. Downloaded it, set it up and rang my Brother in about 10 minutes!
Any users? Any feedback? Anyone want more info??
Cheers,
Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Yes and I have 512/512 to a killer speed broadband in Japan and it still lagged (choppy sound and maxed out my bandwidth).

We trailled it at work also with the same trouble.

This was about a year ago and I haven't bothered with it since then.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i'd love to know if you can get a cordless phone attachment....

Sitting at my computer in the 'rumpus' with the stereo hooked up and talking down a kareoke mic to my girlfriend doesn't really appeal :P
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
MrQuan
Social Disaster

You can get USB phones for voice over IP (voIP), such as SKYPE, MSN, etc etc.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i have ISDN 128k, and it works beutifully with skype, because ISDN is pure digital it gets good pings, which is good for these sorts of things
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
neb
hibernating

i use skype mainly to talk to friends when gaming its good fun.. i'm on 512k adsl and don't have any problems with it
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Skype is merely a software application used in conjunction with VoIP, if wanting to use your computer to make telephone calls over your internet connection.

It is known to be an unreliable, or unstable, piece of software, dependant on what other apps you have installed.

VoIP household telephones are a different kettle of fish.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
Psyronic(!)

Im not a fan of skype....

Proprietry protocol, only supported by skype......

If you are REALLY serious.... Try the real deal....

SIP (Session Initiation Protocol).....
This is a standard that is supported on everything from PDAs (PocketPC, Palm) through to Linux, Mac, Windows, through to Hardware stuff like Sipuras, and FXS/FXO Cards on Asterisk Servers....

If you are SERIOUS..... Check out
http://www.pulver.com/fwd/
One of the Largest FREE VoIP (SIP) Providers out there.
Allows you to call FWD,SIPhone, Libretel, New York, and US 1800 numbers, etc....

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm
Sipura - Hardware Voice Over IP - Will log into a VOIP Provider, and allow you to use your normal phone, Fax, even PBX System over the internet....

http://www.asterisk.org/
Makes Skype look like a kiddies plaything !

Honestly, the ONLY thing that Skype has going for it is its dead simple to set up.... But thats it
Real SIP Clients take about 15 minutes to set up, but are many thousand times more powerful than skype !
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post