Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Importing a used Ford from Germany to Australia

Hi there,

I posted this threat allready in a different category...sorry for that, but I think this is the right place to ask....

I am new in this forum and I guess I need your help.
I am a German citizen and within the next 12 months I am going to migrate to Australia ( NSW ).
I am going to apply for a temporary and permanent spouse visa ( subclasses 309 and 100 ) which actually allows me to import a foreign car under the "personal import scheme".

It is a Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 SE ( US-Version , left hand drive ).
The car meets all US and German technical and safety specifications.

The only difference is, that my Ford has RED rear turning lights instead of amber ones and it is left hand drive.

DO I really have to convert it to right hand drive if I am going to be a permanent resident ?? In the papers of DOTARS it says, that the APPLICATION for a permanent residence status is allready enough to be eligible for the personal import scheme....and that should also allow me to drive a left hand drive car in NSW ??

I have allready contacted DOTARS, the CUSTOMS and RTA but unfortunately I am running in circles here because the text is full of "may" , "Could" , "should " "if" and bla bla bla... pages and pages of information and at the end you are the same stupid idiot like before :

I just want a plain answer....YES...I am allowed to drive a LHD car in NSW or definately NOT. I would like to know that in advance so I can estimate the costs . I would never convert the Taurus to a RHD, because that would cost a fortune and than, unfortunately I would have to sell the car here in Germany. But I DON'T want that :
But if I am allowed to drive it as a LHD , I would like to import it to Australia, because I have a personal connection to that car. It was taking me arround the whole United States, while I was living there. When I moved back to Germany, I took it, because of that connection.

I also know, that I have to pay duty, GST, transport cost and transport insurance for that car and it sums up to arround 3000 AU$ + the costs for quarantine and the converting costs.

What would really help is a step by step explanation of the whole process.

The car will arrive by ship in Sydney.
The customs will hold the car there until they have a kind of confirmation, that the car meets all the safety and technical specifications.
But I would have to bring the car to a local RTA office, because they decide if the car is good enough or not.
How can I get the car inspected ( physically), if the car sits in Sydney with the customs ????????

And I actually don't want any surprises. If I shipped the car to Australia and than one of all those authorities wants me to convert the car to RHD...than what...

I would have to ship the car back to Germany or pay a fortune to put the steering wheel on the right side + all other convertations...

So if anyone of you can help me out a bit, I would be really happy.
Thank you all

and best regards from Germany

Swedishmoose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Why the hell would you bring a Taurus all the way from Germany to Australia? we got Taurus' here, they're crap.

To avoid all that hassle you described just sell the damn thing.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

and buy a falcon, u should be looking forward to driving our world famous aussie cars lol

but seriously i have no idea, first i heard of these rules and they intrigue me
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had a flatmate that moved over here from Scotland ... and he brought his car over with him .. although it was was RHD already ... his vehicle didn't have to comply with a lot of things like ours do ... especially when it comes to modifications as well .. it was literally open slather.

He has a 92 2-door Astra GSi (not available in Oz) ... and had quite a fair bit of work done to it (last dyno reading was 145kw at the front wheels ... 2L N/A)

There are some LHD that I have seen drive around ... I think there are conditions (like you need to state on the rear of the vehicle that it is LHD via signage).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
cob115
COUPE WHORE

EEEEgad i dont want to rain on your dreams but this could get ugly,if i were you i would contact a shipping agent as well, who imports exports cars,iv used Aussi coupes Phill to bring a gt from america to australia,and being new to that sort of thing it made things a little easyer,if your that attached to the car(and i can uderstand those feelings)why not ship it over here and if it all goes bad just stick it in the shed at least then you will never regret selling it.There are plenty of left hand cars driving around Aus ,but most of them are older type muscle cars ,iv herd some thing about the cars age being a factor to ,either way ,good luck

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Hi there,

I just want a plain answer....YES...I am allowed to drive a LHD car in NSW or definately NOT.
Thank you all and best regards from Germany

Swedishmoose

Short answer NO.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
JPDyno

Surely you can.

I dunno about NSW but in victoria there are plenty of Left hand drive cars around. Most of them have big 'left hand drive' stickers on the back bumper. Old cars (old chevs, caddies from the US etc)..and later model cars (Holden export models, engineering test vehicles)

as a one-off import you can probably skip over the ADRs and most of the rules. but i do ask, really, why? have you done alot of work modifying this car or something? because it really will be alot of hassle.

Another idea is theres a few american importers around the place you could probably call who would know the details of importing and registering a LHD car. Google 'american auto imports nsw' or something
JPDyno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Why the hell would you bring a Taurus all the way from Germany to Australia? we got Taurus' here, they're crap.

To avoid all that hassle you described just sell the damn thing.
I agree sell the car and buy a Falcon when you come over.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
bob^
LPS

It might not be the Taurus that we got here fellas... They actually made ones that looked half decent.

That said, is there something special about the car as to why you want to import it? Sentimental value etc? It might be easier to just buy something new here?
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
formerly
loving the Xr8

Whether your allowed to or not im not sure, but there is a LHD Impreza rs drives around Kings Cross in sydney that i see every now and again.... no stickers stating LHD either!
formerly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah the costs outweigh the benefits by a fair margin.

And as far as I know the cars has to be pre 1960ish to be able to drive LHD. Unless you get the ok from the road authority.

Ive seen a couple of hummers that are LHD, but thats about it for the modern stuff.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it wouldnt be 1960. ive seen 1970's mustang Mach 1's in LHD around the place
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
That said, is there something special about the car as to why you want to import it? Sentimental value etc? It might be easier to just buy something new here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
I would like to import it to Australia, because I have a personal connection to that car. It was taking me arround the whole United States, while I was living there. When I moved back to Germany, I took it, because of that connection.
I'm thinking yes

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I been to the US recently and the Taurus's still suck dingoes balls. so what ever model it is, a similar year camry would be better - I know you said it has a personal attachment in which case bring it over as an unregisterable import (should be able to do it with out a cams licence if you have a good reason) and when you want to remember the good times go sit in it in the garage.
Now if you can bring over and register one car, go to england and buy a second hand bmw 7 series of A8 or S class. you get them real cheap and bring that over - no conversion and get your self a AU $80000 for about AU $25000 +shipping. (even if you sell it once here and make some $$$

BTW I lived in germany for a while - nice place but i can see why you are leaving - its full of germans (I am allowed to say this cause I am a kraut - but not a sauer one)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

From my understanding....... NO.
Yes there are alot of LHD cars registered and legally driving around, as yes many of you have noticed the stickers on the bumper. This is a requirement. You would have also noticed they are old cars, this is another requirement. I'm not sure of the actual limit of the age of the car, I think it's either 25 or 30 years old.
I would be 98% sure you would not be able to bring it here in Aus and drive it around legally withour converting it... sorry. There are many ADR's including seat belts, airbags, even filters on the heating/cooling system (in car-not engine)

It may have centimental value, but I seriously would bother.

Cheers,
Shayne

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

If you are dead set keen on driving a Taurus, you would be better off (cheaper) selling your LHD example and buying a RHD one out here. They aren’t worth much. You don’t say what year yours is, have a look here to see what price second hand examples are worth : http://search.carsguide.com.au/news/...=All+Locations

I see this question posted on other sites and even with cars that cost $80k in Aus it isn’t economically viable to bring a cheapish car in to the country and convert it, even for common things like US Pontiac GTO’s/Aus Monaro-HSV Coupes.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I was under the impression that if the car was less than 25years old it could not stay LHD. As only a 'classic' was allowed exemption.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NT is pretty okay with it from my understanding. I dont remember the requiremtns, but the '90 vette convertible was registered in NT while it was being driven around queensland. All that had to be done, as you said, was changing the red circle lights for amber ones. It would be a p in the a to go through it all for a taurus, but you can do it. Just get it shipped straight from the docks to NT, register it, (helps if you know someone in NT to use their address) and drive it around NSW with NT plates... Simple.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
NT is pretty okay with it from my understanding. I dont remember the requiremtns, but the '90 vette convertible was registered in NT while it was being driven around queensland. All that had to be done, as you said, was changing the red circle lights for amber ones. It would be a p in the a to go through it all for a taurus, but you can do it. Just get it shipped straight from the docks to NT, register it, (helps if you know someone in NT to use their address) and drive it around NSW with NT plates... Simple.
While true and simple enough, it might be wise to let the guy know it is illegal though. Being from Europe its not like he would be aware of that like we should be. Id hate to see the poor guy think it was fine and tell the first copper that pulls him up his reasons for NT rego.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Car must be 30 years old to remain LHD. In NSW sticker accross the rear bar are not needed. I met a guy at the exhaust joint with a 66 mustang LHD, no stickers but was on club rego.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

i was also of the impresion it had to be over 30 years old to be lhd
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
charlie200
please insert coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav
i was also of the impresion it had to be over 30 years old to be lhd
in nsw yes thats true but if you want to keep the car for whatever reason you can always get it converted to right hand drive
Old 26-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #23
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

For NSW registration "NO", as stated above. The car needs to be 30 years and older, it can THEN be registered in delightful NSW.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi40_rev1.pdf

An exemption to this 30 year rule exists for certain vehicles such as garbage bin collectors, sweepers etc.

* A similar exemption allowance applies to United States armed forces personnel on a tour of duty in AUS, the vehicle must have the required low-beam mod. (below).

LHD market vehicles in RHD Australia have the issue of then having to 'modify' the left-hand drive low-beam headlamp characteristics.

Basically; world standard 'UNECE' and United States 'FMVSS108' *LHD* low-beams shine 'high-right', - directly into oncoming RHD (Aussie) traffic! (Our RHD low-beams, used on our roads in turn shine high to the left, away from oncoming traffic - to pick up 'left' sidewalks/edge of road, roos, MP's, Harold Scrubies and stuff).

In Europe, when an LHD car is taken to GB, part of its headlamp is masked - usually by opaque tape. Ditto when a GB RHD car is taken across to the LHD Continent, you mask a section of the headlamp to prevent glare. Issue is taken seriously OS.

North American FMVSS108 turn/hazard signals, which are *mostly* red - (but which also accepts amber), need to have added an amber replacement lens/lamp for the functions, and the 'red' functioning of same must therefore be disconnected!

Child restraint anchorage points issue is another one.

NT requirement:-
http://www.nt.gov.au/transport/mvr/v...tins/ibv48.pdf

DOTARS items to be read:-
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...importing.aspx
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-01-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

State rules mean nothing ...
Its the Commonwealth Gov rules that matters...
For a start its left hand drive so you have issues...
Personal import rules can be farely lose.. But It bassically needs to pass
blue slip and have child support brackets.. RIGHT hand drive..
Expect to pay between $4k to $6000 import duty , tax , gst....
Getting someone to compliance it ? Other than personal import is expensive..
Pluss there's a big chance customs won't let you take it off the warf...
You'll need a shipping certificate for loading vehicle AND unloading which means you require it to be acceptable here ? I doubt it ??? GOOD LUCK !!!

IMPORT RULES

The following is a guide for importing vehicles as the Australian government only allows vehicles to be imported if it falls under one of the following categories.
PERSONAL IMPORT
If you currently live overseas and have had a vehicle registered in your own name for a continuous period of more than the last 12 months, then you are eligible to import your vehicle to Australia when you return to Australia, or become an Australian Citizen.

15 YEAR OLD VEHICLE
If a vehicles manufacture date is more than 15 years ago, then that vehicle can be imported to Australia without limitation, or restriction.

MOTOR-SPORT
Motor vehicles can be imported for Motor-sport competition. The vehicle can never be registered for non-motor-sport purposes.

WRECKING
Vehicles may be imported for wrecking purposes. It is a condition that the vehicle arrives with the body in more than one piece and can never be registered for road use.

LOW VOLUME COMPLIANCE
Vehicle importation is conditional to it being complied to Australian Design Rules (ADR) immediately it arrives in Australia by a Compliance Plate Holder (CPA). To become a CPA a company must provide evidence to the Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) that the vehicle meets each ADR. Where the vehicle does not comply with an ADR, the CPA Holder must show how they intend to overcome it, with the use of engineers plans for modifications, or alternative parts etc. This process can take up to 2 years to complete, and only then can that CPA holder comply up to only 25 vehicles per year.

The vehicle must also meet certain criteria at the time of the CPA Application, such as:-

it must not be available in Australia from the manufacturer,
the vehicle must be considerably different to that offered by the manufacturer,
if it is a passanger vehicle, it must not have 4 doors if newer than 1995
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
plext
Forum Director

I have done a personal import and would frankly be surprised if it could not be registered, they grey area being the LHD.

The process is essentially simple, but very time consuming not to mention expensive. The best way to handle custom and the docks is to employ an agent, they know the rules and what can and cannot be gotten away with.

Taxes are calculated on the "as landed" vehicle, which means no registration or compliance for Australian roads, thus is usually a fair amount lower than market value for a comparable vehicle.

The process in NSW is then that you need to present the vehicle at an authorised inspection station for what we call a 'blue slip', this inspection is not dissimilar to the TÜV inspections. Once through this hurdle (as noted by somebody else, the personal imports get a fair bit of leeway, they will essentially be looking to ensure basic safety and presence of child restraint anchor points), you then need to pay again for the import compliance plates which were around $160 from memory. Once these arrive, the blue slip is issued and you then need only a ticket from a weighbridge to confirm the vehicle weight in theory. I say in theory because the vehicle WILL be flagged as needing an identity check by the RTA, which will entail you taking it to one of a very few, widely scattered RTA stations which perform this function. You cannot do it same day, an appointment will be made a few days hence. Nor can you preempt this 'random' check by having it done first, it cannot be scheduled until you arrive at an RTA with the blue slip, the weighbridge ticket and all other paperwork to register it.

My only real concern with yours would be the indicators (they will want these changed) and the LHD, though I suspect it is indeed doable. I would be calling the RTA technical line which is listed on their site, they will give you a square yes/no answer and were a world of help while I tried to unravel this process.

You may be getting the idea at this juncture that this process is unweildy, irritating and wholly not worth the trouble. It is. My personal advice would be that a Taurus is not worth the effort, though you do mention that the vehicle is special to you and that may well make it worthwhile in your eyes.

If you do forge ahead, go into it with open eyes, it will be frustrating and very long winded.

Good luck with it.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post