Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default AU3 XR6 wagon...your thoughts?

In the past month, I've bought
a white AU3 wagon, very light front damage (now registered)
a silver AU3 sedan, very light front damage, (not repaired yet) and
a silver AU2 XR6 sedan, (stat write off, heavy rear damage)

Now, I bought the XR6 with the intention of just using the front bar n lights and wheels on the silver sedan, maybe selling off the rest, BUT.........
After reading the "one thing you'd change about AU" thread, I noticed a few ppl were saying there shoulda been an XR wagon........got me thinking.....

If I used ALL the XR6 gear to modify the wagon, it would be much more rare than just another XR6 sedan "copy", and would give me the incentive to transfer ALL the parts, including modded XR6 motor,trim, suspension, not just the front panels.
And the wagon wouldn't just be a copy, it'd be more of an original as there wasnt one offered.

I really like the look of silver XR6 sedans, but a lot of this is about turning heads, and I'm really tempted to go the whole hog on the wagon. One advantage is that the XR and the wagon both have black dash, so the XR trim would be usable, with mods for rear seats etc. The sedan has grey dash......

Im really interested to hear what you guys/girls think and which way you'd go in my position

thanks Keith

kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You could go the whole hog, but it still won't make it an XR6 wagon, as there was never one offered. The cheaper option would be just to throw the front end on the wagon. But if you want the (small) performance gains from the XR running gear, then do it. Just keep in mind that the diff probably won't swap over, so you will only get the engine and gear box - the gearbox is the same as non-XRs, and the motor only has an extra 7 kw; easy enough to pick that up with exhaust etc.

I did the XR front on the wagon, and it certainly turned heads. It was also lowered, with extractors and full 2.5" exhaust, detailed engine bay, and some momo and chrome touches in the interior.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
and the motor only has an extra 7 kw; easy enough to pick that up with exhaust etc.
depends on if it is HP or VCT. but either way the point is you are starting with that extra power before you add the exhaust ETC. so you total power will still be greater. an important thing to note is the ECU is a part of the XR engine package and that will need to be changed by doing this you also get the adaptive shift ( it is in the ECU not the transmission) . you will need to change the dash and under bonnet looms to accomodate the extras such as traction control and the different cluster. This is not intended to put you off just to let you know what you are up for . sounds like a worthy project to me
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

No brainer for me Keith.

Go the XR6 wagon option. It would be something special.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You could go the whole hog, but it still won't make it an XR6 wagon, as there was never one offered. The cheaper option would be just to throw the front end on the wagon. But if you want the (small) performance gains from the XR running gear, then do it. Just keep in mind that the diff probably won't swap over, so you will only get the engine and gear box - the gearbox is the same as non-XRs, and the motor only has an extra 7 kw; easy enough to pick that up with exhaust etc.

I did the XR front on the wagon, and it certainly turned heads. It was also lowered, with extractors and full 2.5" exhaust, detailed engine bay, and some momo and chrome touches in the interior.
He did say 'modded XR engine', to what extent though. Id say go the whole 9 yards. Something different, and IMO if you can make it look as factory as you can inside and out
Old 25-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the XR wagons are great so an AU version would bring above average price .

Saw 2 EF's yesterday, a Gunmetal and a White which both grab your eye and look that little bit special
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen an au xr6 wagon before, don't know if it was genuine or not, when I used to live in Alice, there was a white one, xr6 badges, and stickers on the rear doors too
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
No brainer for me Keith.

Go the XR6 wagon option. It would be something special.

GK
I agree mate, go for it! Im one for the being 'unique' and not just having the same ol car the guy down the road has.. not that thats bad but fun to have something different.

I rekon go for it i already have the image on a silver xr looking wagon dumped on big rims haha!

p.s I can relate, if i had money to throw around ive always thought a mock up ba xr8 wagon would look nuts, black, big rims, 5.4lt boss, the buldge n' all hahaha

good luck mate!
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

You're certainly not the first to XRise a wagon for want of term. If the budget works out, swap over everything you can. I would if I was in your position.

Be sure to start a build thread if you do decide with the wagon plan. All the best with it.
Old 26-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
I think the XR wagons are great so an AU version would bring above average price .

Saw 2 EF's yesterday, a Gunmetal and a White which both grab your eye and look that little bit special
Agreed, the E series XR wagons, particularly in that gunmetal grey color were (still are) awesome!

I can see Keith's with the 17 inch Tickford Rims, XR height, SR sideskirts or stretched XR sedan items, etc, etc, etc.

Lovely!

Go for it Keith!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah go for it mate should look good yeah....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #12
kcej

Hey thanks everyone.
REALLY appreciate your thoughts whether for or against, but lets be honest, its the really strong positive responses that helped me decide to do it to the wagon.
Swapped my series 3 bonnet today for Fordman_01 's Series 1 bonnet as my XR bonnet had some light damage, and he wanted to update his look......win/win
Talk about pressure.......Now I'll hafta really DO it, not just talk.......But I'm sure thats a good thing, as the more I think about it, the surer I am its what I want. When I mentioned "go the whole hog" I wasn't talkin race motor or anything like that, just the XR6 motor that I have with extractors, huge inlet, K&N filter etc etc and an exhaust system thats free flowing but not too loud for an old feller like me.
"Whole hog" was more a reference to trying to add ALL the XR6 components, not just the obvious ones.

Thanks again, guys......Keith
Old 27-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Top stuff mate, be sure to start a thread in the 'Build thread' section too
Old 29-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...&postcode=4558

There you go... They tend to look rather good.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
kcej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...&postcode=4558

There you go... They tend to look rather good.
Thanks mate.....I found a pic on the forums of the black one JC built, looks awesome, dark blue looks great too.....I'm only hopin it looks half as good as this in white...lol

Keith
Old 29-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be following your progress as it's something I've thought about since I bought my car back in October, but can't do much about until I can afford to switch insurers in a year or two.
Old 29-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcej
Thanks mate.....I found a pic on the forums of the black one JC built, looks awesome, dark blue looks great too.....I'm only hopin it looks half as good as this in white...lol

Keith
This ol' thing?

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it
Old 30-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
fordman_01
DUB

cant wait to see it keith